TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've finally thrown my current bike up for sale in hopes of snagging a TW to replace it with. Thing is, with my past few bikes (which I've bought off CL), they've been valued very similar to what KBB and/or NADA said they should be and I got them for less than those values. However, with the TW, it seems they either hold their value way better than anything else or they're just incredibly overpriced. I've been looking for the first gen models, because I realized that a kickstarter already equipped would be very nice but pre-2001 models are very rare in my area of the east coast. So, there are 2001+ models up fairly often, but they all seem to be going for roughly the same amount no matter the year: between $2500 and $3k. Now, am I nuts or is it realistic to be paying $2500 for a 10+ year old TW? Sure, there's extras, but with most bikes you don't take that into consideration with the cost unless they're throwing in a ton. So help me out guys, what kind of money should I be looking to throw down on a early-mid 2000s TW?

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
$2,500 isn't unreasonable for a nice clean TW at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$2,500 isn't unreasonable for a nice clean TW at all.
I guess I'm just used to cheaper bikes then lol. My current ZRX1100 cost me $2k and I'm seeing little dubs for more.

I mean, I'll pay what's fair and that's why I asked. Some TWs have KBBs of 1800 and they're listed for 2800. These sellers know what they're doing.

·
Registered
20,192 Posts
While TWs might seem relatively overpriced remember this is relative to other bikes that have larger production runs, don't have perhaps quite the cult following, and most importantly perhaps because more high strung bikes wear out more quickly spinning higher speeds in everything from piston travel to wheel bearings. With a plebeian output of only 14hp per 200cc compared to say a super bike with well over 100hp per 600cc one can predict which needs more maintenance per mile ridden. These darn TWs can last a long time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe that's why I'm having trouble finding an older TW, because I'm actually a fish. I was hoping to find a place I could actually fit in but apparently us aquatic animals aren't welcome here! :(

I've actually toyed with the idea of buying new/used from a dealer (I'm relatively young still and need to build credit) but don't want to go through all the hassle. Plus, all the older models have great color schemes. Frickin love the blue and purple look of some of the old ones.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
The old ones had great colors.. ;)

Maybe that's why I'm having trouble finding an older TW, because I'm actually a fish. I was hoping to find a place I could actually fit in but apparently us aquatic animals aren't welcome here! :(

I've actually toyed with the idea of buying new/used from a dealer (I'm relatively young still and need to build credit) but don't want to go through all the hassle. Plus, all the older models have great color schemes. Frickin love the blue and purple look of some of the old ones.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I see them all over the place too price-wise. I went to look at a few that were junk, and a few that were nice. I finally got to the point that i was sick of driving and paying for gas, lol. I just said the next nice one I find, I am buying it. I got really lucky, i found a 2008 that the guy has listed for $2200, 1,400 miles on it, i asked him what he would take for it when i got there and he said $1600....sold! I would have honestly given him the 2200. But looking around our classified section now, with all the upgrades on mine it would easily sell around here in the low 3's, or the mid-low 2's if i put it back to stock.

Find a nice one and buy it.

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
With TW’s we base a bikes value on mileage and cosmetic condition

The theory being that if the bike has less than say 5k on the clock, the odds are that the mechanics should be OK – that just leaves the “pretty bits”.

Dents, scratches, hollow mods etc can all significantly drive the price down – but a low mile TW that looks like it’s been taken good care of, generally has been – you only have to look at the age of the tires, chain condition – all “consumables” – that’s about it

The “book” price on my car right now is 300 quid – what the “book” doesn’t know is that it’s still good for 60k more miles, hasn’t been visited by the “rust worm”, and is generally regarded to be bullet proof. Wouldn’t take less than 1500 quid right now, and would spend that much again on a direct replacement. All the “book” sees is that the car is 17 years old.

Same deal with the TW – mine is a ’98 – took it for an MOT test a few days ago (road worthiness test) – asked the guy what he thought – he said “Perfect – it’s only done 6000 miles”. Still a 17 year old bike, but the man saw straight past that – the “book” wouldn’t.

And since when did fish do what it says in some book ?

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
In 1987 when TW's came out; they cost 2,218.55 quid. They hold their value well. I paid 2,320 quid for mine 4+ years ago!! :D

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
I should point out at this juncture, that the term "quid" refers to one of Her Majesties Great British Pounds - so when littletommy says he paid 2320 quid for an '87 - he's referring to 3370 dollars

Please form an orderly queue at his doorstep .......... ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
I should point out at this juncture, that the term "quid" refers to one of Her Majesties Great British Pounds - so when littletommy says he paid 2320 quid for an '87 - he's referring to 3370 dollars

Please form an orderly queue at his doorstep .......... ;)
I stand corrected my friend. :D

OK, in terms I understand; I paid $1,600 for it and when new they cost $1,599. :p

:D

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
That is in fact the trick..

Where are you located?
I picked up a lovely, Always indoors 2003 with 1950 miles for $1950 in early march from Altoona Pa,
If you watch locally each and every day and have the ability to go immediately,
You will be rewarded,

·
Registered
65 Posts
What Pred said. When I was looking, I thought the same thing you have said. Finally after looking for what felt like forever I stumbled upon a 2011 with 179 miles last November. The ad had been posted that morning and I called immediately and was on the road ten minutes after hanging up. Two plus hours later I was the proud owner. Have to be vigilant and willing to pull the trigger as soon as the right one, for you, pops up. Keep the faith the right one will show.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If you think you're a fish out of water, you'll fit in here just fine. I bought two pre 2001 TW's, one a '99, and one an '87. Paid 1600 smackers, not quid, for the '99 with around 6,000 miles on the clock, and IIRC around 1300 for the '87. How much are you expecting to spend? And how far are you willing to go to make said "deal"? And where do you live? Location seems to have a bearing on prices. I hope you find what you're looking for, for what you expect to pay, might take a while. Best of luck in your quest.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
NADA and Kelley blue books are first and foremost dealer tools used to extract trade ins at rip off prices in favor of the dealer (NADA = National Automobile Dealers Association)

Kelley book is at least $1000 low but thats because they base prices on dealer sales records but on vehicles with not enough used vehicle sales data (used TW200's for example) they use "algorithms" or basically the make chit up

The good news is that some dealers who get trade ins go by book value and sell stuff $1000 under book and I have bought half a dozen from dealers this way

A nice clean low mile (under 1000) TW of ANY YEAR is worth $2500 possibly more IMO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where are you located?
I picked up a lovely, Always indoors 2003 with 1950 miles for $1950 in early march from Altoona Pa,
If you watch locally each and every day and have the ability to go immediately,
You will be rewarded,
I'm in SW VA.

And that's one of my issues. I can't drive farther than an hour out on a weekday or else I risk having to take off work, which isn't something I'll do. I can only look at bikes on weekends. Already arranged to meet with a few people only to have the bike be sold before I even met with them, so the ones that have popped up so far have gotten away.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts