TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. I currently have a 03 SV650 and a 89 TW200.. i'm debating selling both bikes and getting a newer dual sport... and am looking for recommendations.

Current bikes.
T-Dub (TW200)

SV650

If i do end up selling the two..

The new bike will be used a bit on the street but mainly just to get to trails. the majority of my riding is either trails or technical (over logs, through streams or just on random adventures)

The top few I have found so far that fit the requirements are a DRZ400, WR250R, CRF250L or KLX250.. (open to other options... my only real requirement is that is insurable and 400CC or less due to insurance prices.

Any opinions on the current options or additional suggestions is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I dont know what to tell you. If you are buying new I think the honda is hard to beat for the money. The wr is an awesome bike but its tall and isnt geared like the tw. Im not sure there is a one bike fits all the wr and crf would be close. I Have an sv also and im trying to sell it too. I would keep my tw over any bike ive ever had.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I rode a buddy's Drz which was nice but if felt so heavy compared to the TW. I love how you can throw the little bunk arround. So ideally if I get something new it won't be to clunky :). (The TW tainted me,). For new the honda seems to be the best bank for your buck. If used... I'm not to sure yet

·
Registered
309 Posts
I rode a buddy's Drz which was nice but if felt so heavy compared to the TW. I love how you can throw the little bunk arround. So ideally if I get something new it won't be to clunky :). (The TW tainted me,). For new the honda seems to be the best bank for your buck. If used... I'm not to sure yet
I think the new honda 250 is as heavy as the drz400

·
Registered
309 Posts
If it's a price issue go with the honda if not then drz all the way. I had a wr250x but you will be more happy with the extra power on the drz.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Sell the Suzuki, keep the TW, and buy the DP of your choice. If you sell the TW, you are going to wish you hadn't.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
my choice would be find a used street legal wr426 or a wr450...set it up for dirt and get a set of sumo wheels and tires for extra fun...but for low maintenance the 4 you have listed are the best...the wr426 and wr450 are your next best due to the 5 valve design but way more fun...after that you get into ktm and husqvarna where the maintenance goes up a bit more

something like this...
07 Yamaha WR450 Supermoto

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think the dealer would give me much for the tw on a trade so if I got a new with trade on SV I would prob keep the TW. If I went used it would be 50/50

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't think a dealer will give much on any bike these days. Be prepared to get your feelings hurt when you get the ol, " I have to clean it up, service it, etc and i still have to make a little money " I have lost so much money trading bikes that I'm lucky my wife doesn't know :).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sell the Suzuki, keep the TW, and buy the DP of your choice. If you sell the TW, you are going to wish you hadn't.

+1

Keep the dub, as you said above, you won't get much on resale or trade. A spare bike is a good thing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had the chance to ride a WR250R... then 6 months later I bought one. Total different ride than my Tdub (which I kept and would never sell) and I'm very pleased with my choice. As has been suggested, you might not get much for your Tdub AND you'll regret getting rid of it.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
sell the suzuki, keep the tw, and buy the dp of your choice. If you sell the tw, you are going to wish you hadn't.
Exactly. There is also the XT250,air cooled ,screw type valves etc. As said above, you will regret parting with the TW. What other DS bike can you put a kickstarter on (hence, if the battery on the FI bike goes south ,your stuck).

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a 2007 TW200, a 1997 DR350SE, and a couple of KLR650. I have also owned a KLR250 (sold) and a Super Sherpa (Sold).
If I could only have one dual sport (pavement used only to get to the trails), I would choose the DR350. I have also ridden a DR400 and its a great dual sport bike.
But because I spend a lot of time on street rides, I love my KLR650. I am selling my Tengai (already have a buyer who has given me a deposit) but just bought another KLR650. The upright sitting is very comfortable for me.

I am going to Moab next month and am taking both the TW200 (Slickrock. Fins N Things) and the DR350 for the WRT.

Good Luck in your search.
Simba

my choice for you: a DR350SE. its fairly cheap, a large Acerbis tank is available and the bike can be customized to meet your needs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My favorite for the 250-400cc bikes is the DR. I just prefer it over just about anything for backwoods riding. If you do happen to want to sell your TW, get at me! I'm just below you in Washington, and the girlfriend needs a bike.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ha, ha....I like all the replies for you to keep the TW.....kind of predictable on this forum.....we love our little TW's.

You should not trade it in to a dealer when there are so many people on this site yearning to snap more TW's up to add to their stable. In fact, just a week or so ago there was someone else on here from B.C. looking for one and complaining of the price they command in Canada.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts