TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I ride Tw's..hers is lowered. ...However when travelling with the RV and trailing the bikes, there are times when we are in an area that we would like to go sightseeing that may involve highway speeds and some traffic conditions. My wife is not comfortable on the hwy or congested areas. 2up on the TW is not an option obviously.
I also have a Vstrom...I have taken it with us before, but that entails taking 3 bikes crammed in the trailer like sardines, which create a weight issue also. I dont feel comfortable taking the Vstrom off road and onto some of the trails that we go on with the TW.

What I am thinking is...If I could get another bike slightly bigger than the TW which can go where the TW goes and that could be fairly comfortable on longer hwy rides with 2up. Then I would only have to carry 2 bikes.
I would like some suggestions on what bike might suit my needs....I will be buying used, and reliability is essential with ease of maintenance...like the TW

thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that looks like it could work...seat looks uncomfortable for passenger....and a quick look on craigslist.....they want big bucks for even 10 year old cycles

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Suzuki DR 650. Very capable off road. Not too much heavier than the TW. Much more capable on the highway so long as you are not doing multi hour trips. A dime a dozen on Craigslist for very reasonable money. Dead simple to work on. Problem solved:D

Tom

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
That's a tall order...if it were me I would buy the Triumph Tiger 800 Low with a 30" seat height. Not sure how tall you are but for me being 5'7" it's everything. Put a 14/45 sprocket on your bikes, it's an amazing gear setup which allows me the best of both worlds. I can Cruze the interstate 65/70 with no problems and the still low 1st and 2nd gears give me plenty of power off road.
Of course the Triumph Tiger is expensive and I don't think there are any bikes out there in this category that are inexpensive to maintain.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I had the WR with a Corbin Seat, but Linda (5'10") was cramped up on the back and that is why I went with the VStrom. WR has no issues 2 up on the highway, but you are still crawling when going on rough back roads.
What about a BMW 650?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Look into a husquvarna terra 650. An orphaned bike, selling pretty cheap used, and might be the best fit for you given your 2-up needs and highway needs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a tall order...if it were me I would buy the Triumph Tiger 800 Low with a 30" seat height. Not sure how tall you are but for me being 5'7" it's everything. Put a 14/45 sprocket on your bikes, it's an amazing gear setup which allows me the best of both worlds. I can Cruze the interstate 65/70 with no problems and the still low 1st and 2nd gears give me plenty of power off road.
Of course the Triumph Tiger is expensive and I don't think there are any bikes out there in this category that are inexpensive to maintain.
Those are the sprockets I am running now, and yes I can push it to 60+...however remember I am looking to ride 2up, 300lbs+...and I dont know about you but I just cant see riding 60-100 miles hwy on the Tw 2up....

All the options I am getting here are great, however some are out of budget, the others seem to be too similar to the Vstrom, with my riding capabilities, a tall, heavy,bike off road is out of the question...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the WR with a Corbin Seat, but Linda (5'10") was cramped up on the back and that is why I went with the VStrom. WR has no issues 2 up on the highway, but you are still crawling when going on rough back roads.
What about a BMW 650?
BMW?...out of the question....out of budget, expensive to maintain....I have been spoiled by the TW and the Vstrom.

I am thinking the WR looks doable, if I can find one in my area at a fair price

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look into a husquvarna terra 650. An orphaned bike, selling pretty cheap used, and might be the best fit for you given your 2-up needs and highway needs.
seems like it would not be much different than the Vstrom.
I am thinking I would need something in the 300cc range.....If only the Tw had just a little more power

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
BMW is coming out with a 310 thumper both street and off road models. Made in India to BMW quality standards, if that can happen. Iirc, under five grand brand new. Supposed to hit the entry level rider market, which they haven't done in the past. Otherwise, maybe a DR350 as mentioned earlier. I would love a DR350, and have passed on a couple that should be in my garage. lol

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
779 Posts
DR650, WR250 would likely de underpowered and cramped, similar to DRZ400

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
DR650, WR250 would likely de underpowered and cramped, similar to DRZ400
DR650 makes roughly 35 hp stock. Should easily handle what he is looking for. Not sure about the WR.

Tom

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
BMW is coming out with a 310 thumper both street and off road models. Made in India to BMW quality standards, if that can happen. Iirc, under five grand brand new. Supposed to hit the entry level rider market, which they haven't done in the past. Otherwise, maybe a DR350 as mentioned earlier. I would love a DR350, and have passed on a couple that should be in my garage. lol
The GS version was on my short list BUT good luck finding one this year. At least in my neck of the woods..... I am not disappointed with my new CBR though.

Tom

·
Registered
117 Posts
DR650. My wife and I take the Harley and the DR 650 on a trailer behind the camper. We ride the Harley together on pavement, the DR together on pavement for 10 or 20 miles to get to good forest service roads and then to ride on those roads for sightseeing and picnics, and I ride the DR on good and bad forest service roads alone. I also rode the DR at Moab this and last year. Works fine on better quality dirt/gravel roads/trails. Climbs easier ledges with all the power you'd ever need. Has good suspension that can handle two on dirt and gravel roads. But it's too heavy for me for sand (when I crash multiple times and crack a rib at Moab like this year, it gets old picking it up - 360 pounds). But that is also a rider issue, not necessarily the bike. I hadn't ridden off pavement since I was 18 on a friends Honda 100 (now 61). Started with the DR a year ago. Plus, they're cheap, you don't get upset when you drop it, it is carbed like the TW (so easy to work on - redid the float in Moab at the campsite) and the seat is at 35 inches, so lower than the DRZs and WRRs. If you're used to a TW and putting your foot down, these other bikes are pretty tall.

To see what a new, not so coordinated rider does with the DR, look at "Life Outside the Box" on the Adventure Rider site advrider.com If you're an experienced rider, I expect you could do way better than me.

So I can take on the more difficult stuff (really moderate, but that's difficult for me) at Moab next year, I bought a TW yesterday. But for anything not too sandy or crazy steep, the DR works well for me alone. You just have to be realistic about the feature tradeoff of a decent off-road bike and wanting to ride two-up at highway speeds somewhat comfortably.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts