Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I couldn't find any clear picture of how the axle should be positioned. The old thread lost all the attached pictures so I decided to take some good pictures while installing the kit so it can be helpful to those newbies like myself.
First of all, I would like to make sure I am doing this right. The starter gear didn't have two notches as shown in the installation diagram so I just had to position the horseshoe clip based on what I think it makes.
Here is what I think logically makes sense but I would like to have someone who is a lot more knowledgeable to confirm / correct.
I am also see somewhat conflicting information regarding the spring. Does it have to be pre-loaded or not?
Finally when I put on the lever with the proper TW200 part, the lever seems to interfere with the brake pedal just based on pre-fitting.
kick start installation.jpg

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hello and welcome! Your picture is correct and IIRC, there is a little pre-load on the spring, not much, enough to bring the kick lever back to it's home position. As for the kicker interfering with the brake lever, it should not once installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
How about the starter gear missing two notches? Is it normal? Based on the instruction which may been outdated, the gear is supposed to have two notches where the horseshoe clip ends are placed. You can actually see what gear looks like in the picture above as well. With this design, the horseshoe clip is freely rotating.
Capture2.JPG

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Here's what things should look with the kickstarter gear assembly properly installed. I have looked at several of these assemblies and can find none that have any notches on the kickstarter gear. Your horseshoe spring appears to be properly assembled. There is a piece on the outboard side of the kickstarter gear that has a notch on one side that one end of the coil spring goes into and two notches on the other side that a tabbed washer goes into. I seem to remember that the coil spring requires at least 180 degrees (one half turn) in order to hook it on to the post.

100_4135.JPG

There should be plenty of clearance between the kickstarter arm/boss and the break pedal.

100_4115.JPG

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently the diagram is based on the original design and the new design works fine as is. I put together everything finally. The lever does not interfere with the brake at all once all tightened up.
There are two things that would be useful for those who never have done this.

1. The tip of the horseshoe must be aligned to 6 PM. Please see the picture above.
2. Your kick gear may appear to be a bit different from the instruction diagram
3. Spring needs to have enough tension to bring the lever to the up position firmly when released. Otherwise it will rattle or move when you ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Brian. Yes there are notches on outer side as you described to secure the end of the spring and washer but none inside. If you look at the diagram it looks like there are two notches as well where the ends of the horseshoe spring would be placed in. Perhaps I was reading in too much.
Anyways, everything is working well after I put them together. Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So what is the trick to keep the clutch assembly from rotating when the 24mm nut is being removed. I am working on this right now and can't get the assembly from rotating. Is there a prime place to stick a screw driver or something in there. I don't want to damage any of the surfaces. My project is at a stand still. Advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
There's a tool you can buy called a clutch keeper or something. But I have had luck with a rolled up shop rag wedged in to the clutch boss gear. Just be be sure the rag doesn't get eaten.

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
So what is the trick to keep the clutch assembly from rotating when the 24mm nut is being removed. I am working on this right now and can't get the assembly from rotating. Is there a prime place to stick a screw driver or something in there. I don't want to damage any of the surfaces. My project is at a stand still. Advice greatly appreciated.
If you have one of those big C-Clamp type vise grips laying around, that will work. I borrowed one from Ron in Boise and it worked great. Also, after using his "special tool":D, I wondered if a large c-clamp or larger wood working clamp could work. As mentioned above, just be careful.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the advice Ice Man, I went and got my long handled Torque wrench and gave it a quick snap (simulating an impact wrench) and the leverage worked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used one of those 12v impact wrench to loosen the nut. To tighten it, I put the bike in the 1st gear and used the rear brake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got to test ride it today and thought ran into a major issue. The bike started fine with a couple of kicks which was verified before. However, when I put the bike in the first gear, there was some crazy clunking noise and bike stalled immediately. I sure thought something was messed up. I started the bike and tried one more and got the same result. I decided to give it one more time and everything worked. It might have been caused by the fact that the clutch was removed and installed together, and possibly plates were stuck or something. Anyways, everything is good now but I was a bit startled first time.. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Does anyone have a clearer diagram or picture of exactly how and in which order the kickstart gear assembly needs to go to together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Brian, I appreciate the pictures. I guess that's as good as it's going to get. I just worry with the bundle of unlabeled parts I have, I'll miss something putting the gearset together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Here you go Ice Man, this might be a better picture.

100_4723.JPG

This is the assembly sequence:

-Slide horseshoe spring onto the groove on the straight cut gear as shown in the picture above
-Slide straight cut gear, with horseshoe spring installed, onto the shaft and slide the straight cut gear onto the spiral cut gear on the shaft as shown above
-Slide the large dished washer onto the shaft with the convex side towards the straight cut gear
-Slide the wide aluminum spacer onto the shaft with side with the single notch all the way through the spacer towards the concave side of the dished washer
-Now position the coil spring onto the assembly so that the straight end of the spring goes through the notch in the wide aluminum spacer and slips into the hole in the shaft
-Now install the spring snap ring onto groove in the shaft to secure the wide aluminum spacer from coming off
-Next, slide the tabbed washer onto the shaft so that the tabs engage the two notches on the wide aluminum spacer
-Lastly, slide the flat washer onto the shaft against the tabbed washer and you are done!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Brian,

Where have you been hiding that photo? ;)

I purchased all the individual parts several years ago and never got around to putting them together.

This thread motivated me to dig out the parts for assembly.

The only difference in parts was the large flat washer. Mine is perfectly flat, not convex/concave.

I think I have it done correctly.

Thanks for the inspiration.

jb

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.