TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Mine arrived today, otherwise I would buy it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do you have the same handle? I could drop a simple note for you.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Do you have the same handle? I could drop a simple note for you.
I thought I did but when I said I forgot my password they didn't recognize my email address. There must be another Tirebiter.? I re-registered as Puttpow. If you want to PM him and have him contact me at junkmailthis at yahoo dot com I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I pmed him earlier about this as did jbfla. This should probably be considered sold at this point.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Woohoo! The kit came in today, will be installed tomorrow! I figure $160 shipped is a pretty good price!

Hey mattmus,

Would you consider doing a step-by-step tutorial with pics taken as you do your install with this kit?

I'm not seeing a sticky on this install, and I know that those of us (such as myself) with limited wrenching experience really benefit from those kinds of photo tutorials.

Just a thought, seeing as how you scooped that discount kickstarter out from under the rest of us and all:)!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hey mattmus,

Would you consider doing a step-by-step tutorial with pics taken as you do your install with this kit?

I'm not seeing a sticky on this install, and I know that those of us (such as myself) with limited wrenching experience really benefit from those kinds of photo tutorials.

Just a thought, seeing as how you scooped that discount kickstarter out from under the rest of us and all:)!

I just finished installing mine on New Years Day. I was going to make a sticky on this and I took lots of pics and wrote down a lot of details. However, I turned out to not need it because I found a really great write-up on line elsewhere.

It is by WhereTheHellIsJames on ExpeditionPortal.com. Here is a link to Page 2 of his great thread where he discusses (in several posts) how to do this: Expedition Bike? Not really, it's just WTHIJ's TW200. - Page 2 - Expedition Portal
You can see his text by clicking the link. If you want to see his pictures you have to register on ExpeditionPortal. I registered and it was painless. WhereTheHellIsJames did a really great job.

Between his writeup and the stuff that Bay Area Yamaha provides this really is easy to do. As TW-Brian and RBM mention, by far the hardest part for me was getting the old gasket off (I posted a separate thread on that).

I did find a few tiny things that could be added to James' writeup and I can write up a new post with them if there is interest, but they are small things and are not really needed.

Also, if anyone has any questions, before you start or after you get started, feel free to ask me in a PM, or you can call me (I can PM you my number). This is still fresh in my mind and I did take additional notes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I just finished installing mine on New Years Day. I was going to make a sticky on this and I took lots of pics and wrote down a lot of details. However, I turned out to not need it because I found a really great write-up on line elsewhere.

It is by WhereTheHellIsJames on ExpeditionPortal.com. Here is a link to Page 2 of his great thread where he discusses (in several posts) how to do this: Expedition Bike? Not really, it's just WTHIJ's TW200. - Page 2 - Expedition Portal
You can see his text by clicking the link. If you want to see his pictures you have to register on ExpeditionPortal. I registered and it was painless. WhereTheHellIsJames did a really great job.

Between his writeup and the stuff that Bay Area Yamaha provides this really is easy to do. As TW-Brian and RBM mention, by far the hardest part for me was getting the old gasket off (I posted a separate thread on that).

I did find a few tiny things that could be added to James' writeup and I can write up a new post with them if there is interest, but they are small things and are not really needed.

Also, if anyone has any questions, before you start or after you get started, feel free to ask me in a PM, or you can call me (I can PM you my number). This is still fresh in my mind and I did take additional notes.
Thanks for the link OWT!

Still, since you already have the pics and experience, I think you should post a sticky-worthy thread (including those tiny things) right here on our beloved forum.

Especially since our forum is owned by a commercial concern now, hosted content = clicks, and clicks = ad revenue, and ad revenue = our forum getting paid for!

Besides the practical considerations, as a point of pride that information belongs here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think I'll be ordering my kit soon and following the instructions via the link on expedition portal. My TW will be just that much cooler with a kick start! :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Alright, I got everything installed yesterday and then managed to snap a bolt while installing the crankcase cover. Luckily a pair of needle nose got it out without any trouble, and a new bolt is on the way. For those of you worried about the install, it's REALLY simple. I used the expedition portal write up and the maintenance manual and it was a breeze. The only tricky parts are the nut that holds the clutch basket (if you don't have the tool) and removing the old gasket, that part took longer than the install itself! One thing to keep in mind, clean the old gasket off the case before you install the kickstart. If you do it after you'll have a hard time getting the parts to the left of it...ask me how I know :)

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
I think I'll be ordering my kit soon and following the instructions via the link on expedition portal. My TW will be just that much cooler with a kick start! :)
Here's a tip for those of you who are planning to install a kickstarter using WhereTheHellIsJames?'s excellent instructions ( Expedition Bike? Not really, it's just WTHIJ's TW200. - Page 2 - Expedition Portal ).

It is not necessary to remove the electric starter in order to install the kickstarter as stated in these instructions. No sense doing extra work if there is no need for it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts