1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
2001 was the first year

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
2001 saw some other major changes. Lost the kicker, gained the front disc brake, got a new and very different carburetor and a new and very different wiring harness. There might be other inconsequential changes I am unaware of but I think these are the main differences.

An older bike can be updated to accept the front brake and newer carb but it is not a simple or inexpensive undertaking. Most of the other TW parts are completely interchangeable.

GaryL

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I like the disc brake, but I wish I had the kick start, there is a lot of sand where I live. I often get in places where it would be difficult or impossible to push start the TW.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Thanks guys. I like the disc brake, but I wish I had the kick start, there is a lot of sand where I live. I often get in places where it would be difficult or impossible to push start the TW.
You can buy the kit, around $200 and install it yourself. Plenty of threads here on the process with links to who sells them.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
the kick start kit is on backorder right now they said ETA is the end of august
I have a kit sitting right on the shelf but I hope to find another TW this winter to put it on.

GaryL

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
2001 saw some other major changes. Lost the kicker, gained the front disc brake, got a new and very different carburetor and a new and very different wiring harness. There might be other inconsequential changes I am unaware of but I think these are the main differences.

An older bike can be updated to accept the front brake and newer carb but it is not a simple or inexpensive undertaking. Most of the other TW parts are completely interchangeable.

GaryL
How does the wiring harness differ? I had heard that the older harness could give problems.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
I can't say as I know! Just different part numbers for 1987 and then 1988-2000 and again 2001-2014

GaryL

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yep Mr LODE is a good guy that has the kit on the shelf the kick for us mortals and makes a little money in the process . Course he has the $$ outlay and does not make a killing as it is not a big market out there . BUT you can have it now and he is there to help if you have problems . Just a phone call away . No TAX and FREE shipping and no parts man to ask silly questions

Well I have been on emergency call for the past week so no drinking but tonight is make up Beers so there is a good chance I will pop one of these, Two left with free shipping. Yamaha TW 200 Kick Starter Kit Fits 1986 to 2014 TW200 All Factory Yamaha Parts | eBay I do my best shopping after a few drinks!

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Yep Mr LODE is a good guy that has the kit on the shelf the kick for us mortals and makes a little money in the process . Course he has the $$ outlay and does not make a killing as it is not a big market out there . BUT you can have it now and he is there to help if you have problems . Just a phone call away . No TAX and FREE shipping and no parts man to ask silly questions
Did you order one?

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Did you? You know you want to, everyone's doing it...
one left I am getting close, a good time to install it would be the same time I install my OIL COOLER if I could get my hands on one!

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
As of today there are 2 kits left and then the whole US is on back order until ? at least August 16th and it can take Yamaha a few weeks to get them distributed once they arrive

I first ordered 2 kits in 2012 and after 4 months of holding my money on back order I found out Yamaha USA wasn't going to import many (or any?) and they refunded my money. In 2013 I heard they might be getting some in so I paid again and it took 3 months from when I paid to when I received the kits.

The TW200 "crank bosses" are also in short supply

I have friends in a local Search & Rescue organization who are updating all their bikes and quads to TW 200's because they are quieter (as not to interfere with radio communications) and do less damage to the forests etc. They wanted 10 units but we ended up only converting 5 TW's so I had a few extra kits

After eBay, PayPal & the Postal Service extract their pound of flesh it leaves a Big Mac & Large Fry for the effort but it does feel good to have an extra kicker kit sitting on the shelf :)

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
As of today there are 2 kits left and then the whole US is on back order until ? at least August 16th and it can take Yamaha a few weeks to get them distributed once they arrive
it is sold out on eBay.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts