TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks fellas....now, is it worth the trade-off to have the extra starting power, but inferior stopping power...decisions decisions :confused:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The difference in braking is tiny, the disc isn't much of an improvement. I've owned both and I prefer the drum, no seals, O rings, hoses or master cylinders to leak and go bad.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you find an old enough drum brake one it'll have drains that make changing fork oil EASY. I think it was around '95 they lost the drains, but the casting boss is there. I had the lowers on my '99 drilled and tapped for drains when I built Lzrdbrth franken forks. There is no boss on the '04 disc brake lowers.
I've about decided to convert my '04 to drum with drains.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks fellers...sounds like 87-00 is the way to go....any other differences in the years I might look for?

best from UB, MN

MP

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/618-best-worst-year-tw.html

How much of a liability are the genuine Japanese bikes over there? Always wondered what the parts situation might be.

I think Spudrider has freely exchanged a number of Zongshen engine parts with Yamaha parts so I'm assuming the reverse would be true. I know some of the indigenous knockoffs run fat 15" rear tires but what's the sitch on 14's?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Don't get the first model year. My 87 has a totally unique electrical system. Stick with the 88-00

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the heads up MCC

LZRD - I have just only begun to check out bringing a Jap TW over to Mongolia....so far it hasn't been too easy to get clear info, but I'm on it....only been here 6 weeks, and sometimes I gotta work :-(

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I wasn't referring so much to getting one there but to keeping one alive there, but hope your importation will hassle free.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
But then a kick start kit is available.

Not too difficult to install on the newer bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts