TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I always wanted to add a kickstart and then a 3 or 4 months ago I read a post saying that the parts were becoming hard to find so I put the project on the back burner.

Then about a month ago a found a fellow who's plans had changed and he was selling a complete kit in upstate NY that he had bought from a guy selling the kits out of Europe. So I just installed it today and although everything was included and there were parts pre-assembled which made it much easier, I think the kicker shaft may be from another model like maybe an XT?

Of course I only realized this after the install and I had put the right side cover back on. To me the shaft is about 3/4" too long. Here are some pics showing the shaft without the actual kicker and another with it. Although I have not installed the bolt holding the kicker onto the shaft my picture shows how it would look even with the bolt installed as I can see where the bolt mast be installed. So can anyone confirm my suspicion?

TW200_Kicker_1.jpg

TW200_Kicker_2.jpg

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
You're okay. The TW kick boss (the splined part that slides onto the kickstarter shaft) does not slide all the way onto the shaft.

Remember that collar that you removed when you installed the new idler gear? Sometimes I just slide that onto the kickstarter shaft before mounting the kick lever/boss. This adds a tiny bit of unnecessary weight, but it is handy if you ever wanted to remove the kickstarter and return the engine to stock.

Kickstarter mounting.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
So I always wanted to add a kickstart and then a 3 or 4 months ago I read a post saying that the parts were becoming hard to find so I put the project on the back burner.

Then about a month ago a found a fellow who's plans had changed and he was selling a complete kit in upstate NY that he had bought from a guy selling the kits out of Europe. So I just installed it today and although everything was included and there were parts pre-assembled which made it much easier, I think the kicker shaft may be from another model like maybe an XT?

Of course I only realized this after the install and I had put the right side cover back on. To me the shaft is about 3/4" too long. Here are some pics showing the shaft without the actual kicker and another with it. Although I have not installed the bolt holding the kicker onto the shaft my picture shows how it would look even with the bolt installed as I can see where the bolt mast be installed. So can anyone confirm my suspicion?

]
How long did it take? I hope to install mine this weekend.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to say as I was at work so multitasking was the order of the day. Honestly the take apart and reinstall is not so bad especially since there was some pre-assembly already done, not that the assembly takes long mind you but it's the figuring out what goes where that takes the time. Plus as others have noted cleaning the old gasket from the cover took about an hour just for that. So I would say first time install about 3 hours not counting the cover clean-up and if you do it again the second time should be about half that that time or less.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Yamaha never marketed an actual kick kit for the TW and instead they were all specifically designed for the XT225. All the internal parts work for the TW also but the external kick lever and splined boss are different. If you have the lever and boss for the XT then the lever will hit the frame. If you have the correct lever and boss for the TW then it sticks out about half an inch further so it passes the frame. The correct boss is the real part you must have and either the XT or the TW lever will marry to it. I think Yamaha quit producing the TW longer boss a while back but I suspect you can probably find one. I remember when the XT225 kits cost about $100 and were all over the market. To locate one of those kits today is more like $300 and you still must find the TW boss.

GaryL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts