TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the kit for the kicker is still available?

I'm talking the one that had all the parts you needed minus the kicker rod itself?

The old threads are still a great resource but some of the more recent posts lead you to believe it was unavailable. (Back-order)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

I'm talking the one that had all the parts you needed minus the kicker rod itself?

The old threads are still a great resource but some of the more recent posts lead you to believe it was unavailable. (Back-order)

Larry, I am not sure that a "kit" has ever been really available. It is certainly listed, but my dealer said Yamaha told them; the "kit" was never offered. I set my K-starter up part by part and seemed to save money over the 'imaginary' kit. Recently someone posted a question as to the cross compatibility of our TW (kick) with the one used on "Spuds" Chinese copy. Gerry

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
On my 2009 TW200, there s a little plastic "plug" that says kick starter on it. Is it as simple as getting the kicker rod (or whatever you call it), and just mounting it in there, or is there more to it?

Dan

·
Registered
918 Posts

You'll have to call a dealer to see if it's still available. As of a year ago, it was available. That is when I ordered it from my dealer. It's the GYTR kickstart kit for a TTR225. The kicker that comes with it does not work on our bikes. You'll need to find the TW200 kicker or BW200 kicker.

CLICK ME: GYTR kickstart kit link

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Here's the 'kicker', We ride a TW200. Yes you can get a 'kit' for the 225, but a rather important part will not work without serious mod's. You can not purchase a TW=200 "kit" but you can (I was able to) buy all the proper parts, including the correct kick lever for less than the 225 kit. It is your money and time, but in my opinion based on doing that mod there is no money or time saved buying a kit from another bike when you can't use one very important part unless you already have a TW lever.

Now the glitch to this is, it seems, a few of the individual parts have become very hard to purchase due to a "backorder". It may be that the 225 kits will be required in order to get all the internal components you need. Gerry

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My old '93 may not be pretty, but I'm sure happy it has a kick starter as well as the electric start. At the moment I'm working out a battery issue and have found that the bike can easily be ridden with no battery in it at all - a kick and away we go. What was Yamaha thinking when they discontinued something as valuable as this - especially on a bike that's built primarily for trail use?

·
Registered
458 Posts
As far as I know its only the north american models that dont have the kick starter.

It must be a cost saving measure.

Ours still have it.

Post the part numbers thats hard to find in the US and I`ll try to see if its available is South Africa.

·
Registered
512 Posts
On my 2009 TW200, there s a little plastic "plug" that says kick starter on it. Is it as simple as getting the kicker rod (or whatever you call it), and just mounting it in there, or is there more to it?

Dan

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
That would be nice Dan, but such is not the case. You need about 20 additional parts (gears,washers,spring ect.). The conversion is certainly manageable by the beginner, you just need to do some homework and pay attention to detail. Gerry

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
You need about 20 additional parts (gears,washers,spring ect.). The conversion is certainly manageable by the beginner...
Gerry, your picture gave me a chuckle. I can envision a beginner eagerly tearing open parts packages, disassembling the TW engine, and then scratching his head, wondering what to do next.

;-)

jb

Reactions: tcepilot

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Gerry, your picture gave me a chuckle. I can envision a beginner eagerly tearing open parts packages, disassembling the TW engine, and then scratching his head, wondering what to do next.

;-)

jb

In spite of all my planning and double checking I still neglected to order a special thrust washer needed to complete the job. Fortunately I made that discovery before I took the bike apart and could still ride while the missing part was in transit. Gerry

·
Registered
425 Posts
Question: I have a 2004 TTR-125 with a kick start & elec. I'd much rather have the kick on my 2001 TW, cause if the battery dies on the off-road bike the worst that can happen is I gotta push it a few hundred feet home from my yard/ or the trail
With the TW it could be over 50,000 feet home.

Is there anyway the 125's kick would "fit/work" on a TW? I doubt it, but it's worth asking.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Question: I have a 2004 TTR-125 with a kick start & elec. I'd much rather have the kick on my 2001 TW, cause if the battery dies on the off-road bike the worst that can happen is I gotta push it a few hundred feet home from my yard/ or the trail
With the TW it could be over 50,000 feet home.

Is there anyway the 125's kick would "fit/work" on a TW? I doubt it, but it's worth asking.

Certainly a possibility. I would go on a Yamaha dealer website and check the part numbers. Since I have ordered from Stadium Yamaha in Texas, I generally go to their website, but there are certainly others. Please let us know what you find. You of course are hoping both TTR & TW or for that matter TTR225 use the same part/numbers. Gerry

·
Registered
144 Posts

Dan

Dan, I haven't done it yet, but I've been trying to read the old posts about it and I saved some stuff before the forum changeover. It's more complicated than just removing the plug --- you need the internal gears, shaft, springs, etc.... than the "kit" above includes, as well as the actual kick lever (the part your foot kicks). If I remember right, the kick lever on the TW is not the same as that on the bike the kit is used on---different shape to clear the case as you kick down on it.

Here are a few old forum posts I've found (and a BIG THANK YOU to those who posted this stuff over the years!), including a pictorial on some of the things involved :

http://tw200forum.co...7/ShowPost.aspx

http://tw200forum.co...2/ShowPost.aspx

http://s239.photobuc.../ff259/dxnomad/

http://s239.photobuc...Kick%20Starter/

http://s239.photobuc...and%20Diagrams/

http://webcache.goog...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

Yamaha install manual for a 225 Serow (process is probably similar): http://www.xt225.com/pdf/kickstart.pdf

·
Registered
144 Posts
Big, big plus for you Mudpuppy. I am sure those links will help lots of folks in the future. Gerry

Thanks Gerry! Now that so much info is available, I'll just have to get up the courage to try it----maybe a good winter project.

Corey

·
Registered
144 Posts
[quote name='mrgizmow' date='31 July 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1280613254' post='785']

Big, big plus for you Mudpuppy. I am sure those links will help lots of folks in the future. Gerry

Thanks Gerry! Now that so much info is available, I'll just have to get up the courage to try it----maybe a good winter project.

Corey

·
Registered
425 Posts
Certainly a possibility. I would go on a Yamaha dealer website and check the part numbers. Since I have ordered from Stadium Yamaha in Texas, I generally go to their website, but there are certainly others. Please let us know what you find. You of course are hoping both TTR & TW or for that matter TTR225 use the same part/numbers. Gerry

A possibility huh? That's great. I'll definitely go check out some numbers, but after reading mud's post it may be a little more complicated than I'd hope...(I am a BIG time novice in the mechanics department)But you don't learn if you don't explore a little, so maybe I can figure it out and get a kit if the 125 doesn't work.

If the 125 matches and will fit I'll let ya'll know, the more info floating around the better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts