TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
If I remember, I will take a picture of the stock and XT250 side by side tomorrow.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Still waiting for someone to post the xt225 kickstand length.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Still waiting for someone to post the xt225 kickstand length.
Center of mounting bolt to center of stand pad is about 12 1/2".

·
Registered
642 Posts
Center of mounting bolt to center of stand pad is about 12 1/2".
Dam, the xt225 and xt250 use the same exact kickstand. I wonder why it is working for some and too long for others? My bike is definitely too unstable with this kickstand.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Maybe the mounting point on your bike is bent. Is it a tab welded to the frame tube?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Remember that the side stand is at an angle to the frame, so a couple inches of extra length does not amount to very much vertical change to the posture of the bike. If others are making it work, it will probably work for you, too.

If you need it shorter, it will be better to shorten it by cutting and releasing a foot on, than to bend it. Bending will cause the stand to protrude from the bike when folded up.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yea like I said I had it on the bike twice and it was almost upright. I wish I had a welder to cut off half an inch and reweld the foot on.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Remember that the side stand is at an angle to the frame, so a couple inches of extra length does not amount to very much vertical change to the posture of the bike. If others are making it work, it will probably work for you, too.
If you look at both our pictures, we have different frames. My kickstand bolts just underneath my chain while yours is inches below. I see other differences in the frame too. Mine is a 2001. Unless that isn't a TW in your picture.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If you look at both our pictures, we have different frames. My kickstand bolts just underneath my chain while yours is inches below. I see other differences in the frame too. Mine is a 2001. Unless that isn't a TW in your picture.
It's a '94 XT225.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Maybe thats why they did it. Im not sure. It would seem to fit with the low seat height and the easy listening lifestyle that goes along with the tw and its target audience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So im annoyed at how short my kickstand is. I dont understand why they didnt just make it a couple inches longer because it seems to lean over farther than makes sense. I seem to remember someone mentioning elsewhere that an xt250 kickstand is longer and fits the TW. Can anyone confirm and maybe a picture of the difference?
So im annoyed at how short my kickstand is. I dont understand why they didnt just make it a couple inches longer because it seems to lean over farther than makes sense. I seem to remember someone mentioning elsewhere that an xt250 kickstand is longer and fits the TW. Can anyone confirm and maybe a picture of the difference?
it is short for a reason. the bike is more stable in high winds and won't blow over so easy.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
it is short for a reason. the bike is more stable in high winds and won't blow over so easy.
The bike weighs dang near 300 pounds. I doubt it will blow over. I do not doubt it will sink into the earth with the stock stand.
I do notice that the wimpy front forks allow for a lot of sag just sitting and wonder if fork sag accounts for some finding the stand o.k. and others finding it too short. I have aftermarket fork springs AND a nice, plump ATV rear tire. The XT225 stand is great and the stock stand the bike would have 75% of it's weight on the stand, it was leaning over so far.
I recommend experimenting using some blocks of wood to determine how long is the right length for your bike but to first address suspension and sag before making a final solution.

Reactions: Will9519

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Im not a hefty guy, i weigh 160 pounds roughly and my bike also only has about 4000 miles on it so its all fairly new so i have never had a problem with the stock suspension. It really doesnt sag hardly at all just sitting there on its own and even offroad ive never found the stock suspension lacking. Its a 200cc dual sport. I dont need or expect ohlins race suspension haha.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The bike weighs dang near 300 pounds. I doubt it will blow over. I do not doubt it will sink into the earth with the stock stand.
I do notice that the wimpy front forks allow for a lot of sag just sitting and wonder if fork sag accounts for some finding the stand o.k. and others finding it too short. I have aftermarket fork springs AND a nice, plump ATV rear tire. The XT225 stand is great and the stock stand the bike would have 75% of it's weight on the stand, it was leaning over so far.
I recommend experimenting using some blocks of wood to determine how long is the right length for your bike but to first address suspension and sag before making a final solution.
my bike did blow over in my driveway!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Dont make it too complicated. Drill some holes in the bottom of your kickstand and screw a pad of inch and an eighth plywood to the bottom. You will be surprised how long this will last and will be amazed how much the extra surface area will help you keep it upright on soft trails or snow

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 40 Posts