TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a kickstart on an '06 this weekend and it kicks to life, but the kick arm doesnt spring back up. I have to pull it back into the top position with a a bit of force. I turned that torsion spring, clockwise, half way and hooked it on to that piece. Not sure where I went wrong?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I haven't installed mine, yet. But two things come to mind. Maybe the shaft is binding and cannot return by spring force alone. Or the spring isn't wound enough, or in the right direction? Just some simple arm chair mechanic guesses is all. Good luck. I hope you figure it out easily. Frustrating when a project doesn't work out. But when you get it fixed, then you've taught yourself a lesson.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Hi Tyler,

I am not sure what is wrong either, but here are the best pictures that I have in case these will be of some help. I doubt that it would be enough drag to cause the problem that you are describing, but make sure that the seal and kickstart shaft are lubricated.

100_4135.JPG

Here is a picture of the kickstarter shaft assembly. Did you purchase a kit or is this kicker from a donor engine? If this was a kit, did the kickstarter shaft assembly come preassembled or did you have to put it together yourself?

100_4139.JPG

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
There is a spot in the case the spring in the top of the last pic above needs to sit in, it's easy to miss it, I almost did.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tyler,

I am not sure what is wrong either, but here are the best pictures that I have in case these will be of some help. I doubt that it would be enough drag to cause the problem that you are describing, but make sure that the seal and kickstart shaft are lubricated.

View attachment 6684

Here is a picture of the kickstarter shaft assembly. Did you purchase a kit or is this kicker from a donor engine? If this was a kit, did the kickstarter shaft assembly come preassembled or did you have to put it together yourself?

View attachment 6685
I order the 225 kit and TW boss arm and assembled it myself. The assembly, as far I can tell was accurate, I also dipped it in oil.
Which of the two protrusion on the kicker shaft face the engine? The shorter one or the longer one? I have the longer sitting on that little ledge facing the engine, that allows the spring to turn clockwise half turn to hook on that little bar. Maybe it just needs more lubrication in there?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a spot in the case the spring in the top of the last pic above needs to sit in, it's easy to miss it, I almost did.
Youre referring to that horse shoe clip that clips onto the kicker sprocket? I made sure it slide in to that little in dent in the case...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Crap , Too bad
Lucky for me I saw this as tomorrow I am installing the kit into my TW
On this site it says to install the seal after the side case is on by sliding it over the kickstart shaft before installing the kickstarter lever.
In the kit it said to install the seal in the case first and then install the side case
Which did you do?

Norm in Arkansas

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly. The picture had the gasket in the line up on the kick axle and just left it on when I put the assembly in. In hindsight it doesn't make sense now. Doh lol. This is my first bike and I told myself I'll never take it to a mechanic. So I got a new oil seal on order and chaulking it up as a learning experience. Other then that it is a very straight forward installation. ... in hindsight that is! :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Put the seal in the case cover before installing the cover. Lube the seal and shaft before installing the cover. If you think about it, you would not want to replace the seal every time the cover is removed. The seal can be simply pushed in with just your fingers.

Joe

·
Registered
229 Posts
Don't feel too bad as they say its a simple install
Lets see how simple
#1 installing the boss they say the ball won't jump out ! = I lost the Ball , + kit needs an extra
#2 kit did not have gasket = NEED instructions how to search the entire contents of the box to find parts HIDDEN under false compartments , pointed out bye several tribe members
#3 better directions for seal installation = Extra seal in kit
#4 phone number of dealer to reorder parts lost and screwed upped , they might as well include the parts or have a part order form filled out and ready to drop in the mail!
#5 thank God for the tribe for all their help = If they were not here it would take more $$ and time to fix these TWs

Anyway tomorrows my day as the NEW parts are in to replace the LOST parts from the kit and I start my install much smarter , Wiser and thanks to U All it should NOW be a breeze puttogether

Norm in Arkansas

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put the seal in the case cover before installing the cover. Lube the seal and shaft before installing the cover. If you think about it, you would not want to replace the seal every time the cover is removed. The seal can be simply pushed in with just your fingers.

Joe

I did put the oil seal on the kick axle shaft on the inside of the crankcase and it was lubed with oil. When I kicked it over it caused resistance and didn't spring back. In that first picture TW Brian posted the oil seal isnt on the kicker shaft. Are you saying it sits in the hole on the crankcase and not on the kicker shaft?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It fits both. The outside portion of the seal is installed into the case cover from the out side of the case. The inside of the seal is the sealing portion and it seals against the shaft that protrudes through the case .

·
Registered
229 Posts
" it fits both"
Yes and No

Doctor Joe
You got it but I think Tyler needs a bit more info as its his first time doing this and the instructions are just a BIT fuzzy for us newbies

I think from what I am reading is that Tyler install the seal on the kickstarter shaft , THEN installed the case , WHICH would put the seal on the INSIDE of the case where the case does not have machined recess for a seal installation , which would then SMASH the seal when the case was tightened down and cause the binding of the kick starter .
WHEN HE SHOULD have installed the seal on the OUTSIDE of the case in the recess machined for the seal and then installed the side case .
Hope I explained it correctly .

Norm in Arkansas

·
Registered
470 Posts
Don't sweat it Tyler, many of us learned a lot from what we did wrong the first time.

As they say, "the only failure is not to try".

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking at the crankcase cover, I clearly see where that oil seal sits now. I assume, if I put oil back in my engine without that installed its going to leak? If so, I'm just going to pull the assembly out and just plug the case till the part arrives. Can I just leave the idler gear in there if I do that?

Thanks for everyone's help. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Tyler, if you have a caliper or can barrow one, you can measure the cover for outside demention of the seal and measure the shaft for the inside measurement and see if a parts store may have a seal that will work. I have had good luck getting seals from Napa that way. With out the seal it will leak.

Joe

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks to all you guys good and bad luck I installed my kick starter today with full success .
Been awhile since I got all the parts but listening to others problems helped me a bit . Others were saying their clutches were slipping so I checked my out in fifth gear by popping it and felt the slip before it hooked up . Adjustments were spot on and as I was installing KS anyway , I ordered a set of Vesrah HD clutch springs . They looked like stock but when I road tested them in fifth gear hookup was much better. Clutch pull feels about the same but it feels more progressive than before. I would recommend them to anyone with a good clutch wanting a 10 dollar upgrade .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts