TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 2007 bike and an older engine with kickstart. I want to swap tge right case and kickstart from the old engine onto the 2007 engine. Has anyone done this and id love to hear what anyone has to say about this and any thing I should be aware of vefore I embark. Thanks in advance

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
There was once a member on here who did quite a few of these alterations back when the kick start kit was still available. IIRC you don't have to have an older pre 2000 sidecover, he would drill out the hole in the sidecover and put a new seal in there. Someone will chime in who knows more about this. TWBrian has done this I think.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was once a member on here who did quite a few of these alterations back when the kick start kit was still available. IIRC you don't have to have an older pre 2000 sidecover, he would drill out the hole in the sidecover and put a new seal in there. Someone will chime in who knows more about this. TWBrian has done this I think.
Right I should clarify I dont have the kit I just have a complete engine from a 91 that has other issues so I want to use the right case and kickstart mated to tge 2007.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Hey I have a 2007 bike and an older engine with kickstart. I want to swap tge right case and kickstart from the old engine onto the 2007 engine. Has anyone done this and id love to hear what anyone has to say about this and any thing I should be aware of vefore I embark. Thanks in advance

This is how I did my first kickstarter installation and I feel this is the best possible way to do one. You get to disassemble a working kickstarter from the donor engine and then reassemble it in the recipient engine. Your 2007 engine side cover just has a plug in it that can be pushed out so you can use whichever side cover that you wish to use.

The most difficult part will likely be removing the old gasket from the engine case and/or the side cover. Also, you must be careful removing the inner clutch basket so you don't break one of the mounting posts. This is best done using a clutch holding tool, or can also be done using an electric or air powered impact wrench.

If you PM me with your email address, I can send you some instructions that I prepared for the removal of the kickstarter assembly.

Brian

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
TW-Brian is wise. He helped me along with my kickstarter with instructions and advice. I had the "kit" but you are actually in better shape, your '91 engine already has 98% of what you need.

No drilling or swapping cases either. Already have the pop-out on your '07 case where a kickstarter SHOULD be.

You'll need a new gasket like Brian said and the little plastic plug to cover the kickstart spline. Keep it clean. That's pretty much it
I do a lot of ordering through Babbitts On-Line but Revzilla, Tucker-Rocky, Yamaha on-line or your dealer can get these parts easy. Mine came in 3-4 days. Good Luck.

Gasket-Kicker-Kit.
IMG_6264.JPG

Gasket, really all you need if the rest of the Kick-Start mechanism is in working order.
View attachment 188786

Installed with the exception of the little plastic spline plug. The one on the '91 will probably break.
IMG_9559.jpg

Not to worry, they cost $3.49.
IMG_9561.JPG

Go kick-start your bike.
IMG_9564.jpg

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
That's a great picture Donzo.
Yes, the Clutch-Basket holding tool. Not absolutely necessary but a good thing to have.

A whopping $13 or $14 bucks.

Holding mine for a friend who is installing the kit in his xt225.
IMG_0399.JPG

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's a great picture Donzo.
Yes, the Clutch-Basket holding tool. Not absolutely necessary but a good thing to have.

A whopping $13 or $14 bucks.

Holding mine for a friend who is installing the kit in his xt225.
View attachment 188802

Is the part number for this tool EBC ct039?. The sites say it’s not the correct tool for a 2016 TW. I would think all TW years would be the same. Is this incorrect?

Where have you found the EBC Clutch-Basket holding tool for $13 or $14 bucks? The best I could do was around $20 and up including Amazon.
Just curious, I’d have enough money left over for a small coffee at Starbucks.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Just went back to my Amazon orders from last year because I swear I did pay $13-$14 bucks.
When I click on "Order Again" it does show an increase to a low of $18.05 to $20.19.
Who knows why? Too many TDubbers and XT225 owners are either adding kickstart kits or changing their clutches?

When my friend is done with mine I'd gladly loan it to anyone for free, you pay shipping from 10804.
Or skip that Latte, have a cup of real coffee and pay the $18.00. HaHa

IMG_0402.JPG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts