TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mostly ride in the forest alone. My wife convinced me to get a PLIB for her peace of mind and my safety. I did.

Now, for my peace of mind, I want to add a kickstarter to my otherwise perfect bike.

After reading multiple threads about sources for the parts/kits, I can’t find any source that has all needed parts in stock, ready to ship except TW-Parts.com in Germany.

The price including shipping seems reasonable.

Can anyone who has experience with this company vouch for them?

Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
17,923 Posts
He's a trustworthy member here on the forum. His name is Sebastian. He knows his TW's. He will have what you need.
I mostly ride in the forest alone. My wife convinced me to get a PLIB for her peace of mind and my safety. I did.

Now, for my peace of mind, I want to add a kickstarter to my otherwise perfect bike.

After reading multiple threads about sources for the parts/kits, I can’t find any source that has all needed parts in stock, ready to ship except TW-Parts.com in Germany.

The price including shipping seems reasonable.

Can anyone who has experience with this company vouch for them?

Thanks...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx LT,

That’s what I needed to hear.

Do you know of anyone who has received the kickstarter kit being offered by them?

TJ

·
Super Moderator
17,923 Posts
I remember reading recently of a member who complimented Sebastian on his kickstarter delivery, but I don't remember who that was...

Sebastian's rock solid dependable though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just recently ordered everything needed for the install from boats.net. I know there are other places, but they worked out fine. I have gotten all my carb parts and other assorted items from them as well with no regrets. TWBrian helped with info. I have attached several links to the forum that I’ve saved regarding Kickstarter parts and installation. Boats.net shipped everything fairly quickly, even the items that were temporarily out of stock. Cost was around $250.00. The whole process was very very simple and easily done. I’d say the most difficult part was cleaning off the old gasket material. To hold the clutch assembly I used a hole saw and cut a hole in a scrap of aluminum plate I had laying around and drilled four holes to line up with the clutch. When bolted to the clutch it provided a safe way to hold it for removal and to torque it down while reassembling. Very easy.
I hope this helps. I’m happy I installed it.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/52081-sub-%24250-all-new-all-oem-kick-starter-yes-%92s-true.html
http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/18362-more-kickstart-install-info.html
http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/26554-kickstarter-post-install-thoughts-tips.html
http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/13728-kick-start-installation-positioning-pictures-2.html

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just recently ordered everything needed for the install from boats.net. I know there are other places, but they worked out fine. I have gotten all my carb parts and other assorted items from them as well with no regrets. TWBrian helped with info. I have attached several links to the forum that I’ve saved regarding Kickstarter parts and installation. Boats.net shipped everything fairly quickly, even the items that were temporarily out of stock. Cost was around $250.00. The whole process was very very simple and easily done. I’d say the most difficult part was cleaning off the old gasket material. To hold the clutch assembly I used a hole saw and cut a hole in a scrap of aluminum plate I had laying around and drilled four holes to line up with the clutch. When bolted to the clutch it provided a safe way to hold it for removal and to torque it down while reassembling. Very easy.
I hope this helps. I’m happy I installed it.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/52081-sub-%24250-all-new-all-oem-kick-starter-yes-%92s-true.html
http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/18362-more-kickstart-install-info.html
http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/26554-kickstarter-post-install-thoughts-tips.html
http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/13728-kick-start-installation-positioning-pictures-2.html
Thats where I got my kickstarter parts also.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I received all the parts ordered to install my kickstart yesterday.

I’ve read every thread and think I understand the process but since I ordered the parts individually and not a kit, the subassembly did not come preassembled, I would really like to see the instructuons that come with a kit.

Does anyone have these instructuons, perhaps in a pdf, that could be sent to me?

Thanks in advance for all of the help you guys are so willing to provide...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found some information in another thread that helped me understand the sequence for building the subassembly.

The large washer shown in the first image is clearly concave yet the washer I received is flat as shown in the second image.

Could someone confirm for me that the flat washer is ok?

Concave.JPG

Flat.JPG

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I found some information in another thread that helped me understand the sequence for building the subassembly.

The large washer shown in the first image is clearly concave yet the washer I received is flat as shown in the second image.

Could someone confirm for me that the flat washer is ok?

View attachment 165457

View attachment 165465
Yes, that flat washer is okay.

That top picture is of a well used kicker. That concave washer started out as a flat washer.

Brian

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a completed subassembly, all of the other parts needed, have read every thread that even mentions installing a kickstart and believe I’m ready to move ahead.

All I need now is the torque wrench that I ordered which should be here Thursday.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I completed this installation a couple of months ago and after all the research and instructuons I read, it went easyly.

And now having had the kickstarter for a couple of months and suffered a dead battery while on the trail, it ranks up there as the single most important mod I’ve made.

If you have the bucks, I highly reccomend it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't the TW be pushed started in case the battery is dead? Seems like a lot of work adding a kick starter?
A lot of work to some is a lot of fun to others.

I thouroughly enjoyed the process of reading about, gathering the parts and the actual installation of the parts. Learned a lot too.

Bump starting isnt always easy depending in the terrain.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had "peace of mine" with my 2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660 ATV having a backup rope starter when I bought it. But I've never started it with the rope and I'm still on my original 2005 battery in it and it has never let me down. I think I'll skip the thought of installing a kick start on the TW.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I had "peace of mine" with my 2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660 ATV having a backup rope starter when I bought it. But I've never started it with the rope and I'm still on my original 2005 battery in it and it has never let me down. I think I'll skip the thought of installing a kick start on the TW.

If you've given up on installing a kick starter, should you find yourself back in the boonies, maybe take one of those pocket (ish) sized power jump starters. ejfranz had one of those with him in our N.E. Oregon ride and he used it to help start a fellow riders XT250 whose battery had gone dead. Doesn't take up much room. If I could remember to make sure it's charged I'd probably have one of these on my rides in my pack and not worry about a kick starter either but I've already got one installed.

On a kick starter note, I was on a single track ride a few years ago with a "good battery". Due to unforeseen circumstances, (crashes and non working headlight on one bike) we ended up riding through the night and it was very slow going in the dark on a single track trail. We could not go fast enough for my TW charging system to adequately charge my battery and it slowly lost juice. I was so glad to have had a kick starter that night. One can say I won't turn the engine off but one can't say I won't stall it.

If you just ride on roads you're probably safe to ride with just the battery as you state. Just pointing out there are some times where having something along to help start your motorcycle when your battery has malfunctioned or bump starting is not an option.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts