TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run some accessory lights and a 12v charge port on my bike on a separate switch than the stock wires so I didn?t have to hack into the wiring harness, leaving the accidental possibility of forgetting to turn them off. This brings me to my question: Is it possible, without fabrication or additional hardware, to pull the kickstart from a 2000 model tw and put it on my 2002? I see all the xt conversion kits but nothing on just plug and play from old model to new model. I hope it?s this simple. Not looking to drop $300-400 to have a kickstarter if my battery ever runs out of juice in the woods.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I?ll have to look into the gasket and the procedure, but excited to know the parts bike I bought wasn?t entirely a flop. Was disappointed in the condition of its case, and the fact that the frame had been poorly welded back together under the tank. Only paid 150.00 for it, so I?m happy to know I?ll at least recoup my costs via the Kickstarter.

Are there any diagrams or videos on here to make the job easier? Thanks in advance.

Justin

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The parts bike (2000) looks like it was never maintained. The frame was barely visible through years of caked on mud. It had been stripped of its lights, signals, and front brake. It has cracks in the case over the counter sprocket and also at the Kickstarter. Leaks oil from between case halves on the bottom. Has been welded back together under the tank, and carries no title, just bill of sale, amongst other things. I didn?t even try to start it as wrenching the engine over just didn?t feel right, although it did have compression, and the spark plug appeared okay. It also had a broken ignition coil wire and the wire to the starter motor had been torn off.

Honestly seeing the bike in this shape upset me, considering how much pride I take in my tw. I quickly reconsiled though when I was able to walk with it for $150.00. I took the head off to learn more about my own bike and found a lot of parts are still universal with my 2002 model. other parts I figured I could make a few dollars and recoup my investment, such as the cdi unit, wiring harness, tank, frame, etc. You looking for certain parts? I?m afraid to get rid of the whole bike as I believe I may need the top end eventually as I?m getting chatter that just seems irregular. I?m no valve/ cam love replacement expert, so replacing the gasket and head seems more appealing. I also like the idea of having a lot of cheap oem replacements for down the road as I?ll prpbably need them as a first time bike owner. Let me know if you need anything from it on the cheap, however.

By the way, I?m from PA, about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. Thanks for the help Brian. I?ll send you my email.

·
Registered
445 Posts
What condition is the gas tank in? If it’s rust free and useable I might be interested in buying it. Thanks.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Great score on that parts bike. For that price, you can afford to just hang on to the whole thing, just in case.lol.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
158 Posts
You got a screaming deal. If I were you I would completely disassemble the parts bike to clean and freshen up the parts, package and label them en route to the shelf.

Since I'm me I'd love to buy it and fix it and ride it and in the course of time recondition it. The kicker is shipping coast to coast can be stupid expensive.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tank is actually in okay condition, surprisingly. No rust on the inside. A little rough on the outside. Looks like the previous owner drilled the lock out on the cap, but I do have the cap. I?ll attach some pics. They have been going on eBay for ludicrous prices near $200 in worse shape IMO I don?t think it?s worth that much. I believe I have all the mounting hardware and the petcock parts as well. I?m not sure where you?re located as to what shipping would cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My original plans were to restore the bike as well, and use it as a trail bike considering the lack of title. (There is someone selling an 89 without title for about a grand near me if anyone is interested.. I?ll attach pic)

The pictures the gentleman posted of my eventual parts bike looked promising, but I believe they were taken before he beat the bike into oblivion. He said that the bike ?idles like a champ? though I would find out later that was far from the case. Still for $500 dollars I had to look into it. Got there and almost walked off without even an offer, but I had money tied up in renting a uhaul pick-up so I asked the lowest he?d be willing to go ($300.00) and was able to talk him down to $150.00 while going over all the things that were busted or expensive in general to get fixed up. My fiancé thought I was crazy, but I walked off with it and a smile on my face.

Unfortunately I had to spend an entire night cleaning the uhaul bed as all of the remaining oil in the case ended up on the truck bed.

Ultimately, I?m glad I got confirmation on the good deal as my lady still picks me apart on the junk bike taking up real estate in the shed, and for taking her way out into the boonies about an hour and a half from home to get the bike.

If there?s any other parts you guys need that I may be willing to give up let me know. Perhaps I?ll start a new thread. Once I get the case open to get the Kickstarter, I?ll have a better idea of the internals, but looking at the case, I think most of the bottom end may be used for salvage alone.

Thanks guys for being so responsive. I?ve never been part of a forum that helps each other out, and provides such quality information as this one. Because of this forum alone, I?m glad I got a tw.

Things I don?t mind selling include:

(2000 TW200)

-Wiring harness

-Cdi

-Frame (local pick-up as shipping would be outrageous)

-Most of the plastics (I have the full set) gender, side covers, and I believe half of a broken front fender)

-Read Fender sub frame

-Front wheel (drum set-up And I believe one spoke has a little bend/ road tires with maybe 50-60% tread with a shingchong?? (Not sure) dual purpose tire that holds air - prob expensive to ship) I still may convert this to a disc break road tire for my bike, but have to weigh out the cost of just getting a new wheel vs buying parts and putting the work in.

-Rear wheel (stock road tire, maybe 30-40% tread left, spokes are rusted - I believe one is completely rusted through w/ 50 tooth sprocket) do not need this since I have another set up for road travel with a 42 tooth sprocket.

-carberator (Not sure of condition yet, or if I can use it in my bike)

-Amongst other things I?m sure I?m forgetting

I?d like to hold onto the engine and cylinder head for now as I?m still getting some loud knocking when my bike gets really hot (Not sure if normal), but ordered an oil cooler last week. Which brings me to my last question....

Is anyone running Ken Gould?s cooler? I?m hoping it remedies my problems. I?m also looking to get the steel propane tubes for the cooler so I don?t melt them on the header, but not exactly sure of the fitting sizes. Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I’d personally love to pick parts off of that bike and I’m sure many others here would, but honestly with what you’ve got I say rebuild it. You have the parts you need for a good bike and build.

Ultimately, I?m glad I got confirmation on the good deal as my lady still picks me apart on the junk bike taking up real estate in the shed, and for taking her way out into the boonies about an hour and a half from home to get the bike.
Welcome to the club!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts