·
Registered
6,352 Posts
And it's still too dang tall for me to even consider. :mad:

Tom

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've heard it said many times. "I'm going to {jump} on a plane and fly to Kansas City." Isn't that what you mean? lol

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I've heard it said many times. "I'm going to {jump} on a plane and fly to Kansas City." Isn't that what you mean? lol
True enough. They are liars though they never actually have to JUMP on the plane. They just walk. I would have to either jump or climb onto that there KLR! I have a feeling getting off of it would require nothing more than coming to a stop:D

Tom

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Especially if your foot goes into a NY pothole, been there, done that!
Yeah I dont mind keeping a constant eye on my surroundings while riding. I dont want to worry about finding a perfectly flat spot to stop too.

Tom

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I've always felt the KLR650 was more of a back road, seasonal road type of bike, not a true dual purpose bike. When I take it off road, I'm always wishing I had the TW. Too tall, top heavy, and the gearing is not right for the tight woods trails that I ride on and my skill level. I've had mine buried so deep in the mud I thought I was going to have to call for help to get it home because of its weight. It excels at long days in the saddle cruising the back roads trying to find new trail heads for the TW. A 6.1 gallon stock tank will take you a long ways! I have 27,000 miles on mine and has been trouble free. Still, the TW200 is king of the slow, rough trails, and enjoy the scenery trail bike, which is the reason I bought it. :)

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I've always felt the KLR650 was more of a back road, seasonal road type of bike, not a true dual purpose bike. When I take it off road, I'm always wishing I had the TW. Too tall, top heavy, and the gearing is not right for the tight woods trails that I ride on and my skill level. I've had mine buried so deep in the mud I thought I was going to have to call for help to get it home because of its weight. It excels at long days in the saddle cruising the back roads trying to find new trail heads for the TW. A 6.1 gallon stock tank will take you a long ways! I have 27,000 miles on mine and has been trouble free. Still, the TW200 is king of the slow, rough trails, and enjoy the scenery trail bike, which is the reason I bought it. :)
As a fellow KLR and Dub owner I have to agree. Now if I could come up with a rack to carry the Dub on the KLR.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My KLR

·
Registered
57 Posts
They had a couple of the diesel bikes at the second Aerostich Very Boring Rally.. I took these back then (7-8 years ago?)

Mil Version

Non-Mil Version

I've had mine since 2004 and it just keeps chugging along.. Pretty sure the accessories on it are now worth more than the bike.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think I despise the KLR650 almost as much as the BMW "adventure bikes." Why? It's too freakin' tall and heavy. Kawi says it weighs 440 lbs wet. Try 475. A friend in Reno has one. We weighed it one day. Yep, 475. We also weighed his 2009 Suzuki DRZ400. It was 302 lbs. My KLX250S was 297. The KLR is a freakin' pig. Plus it still has the "doohickey" problems and has a tendency to burn oil. I've heard of several KLRs dying on long trips because the owners forget to keep an eye on the oil and it literally burns it all out.

Plus it has too much plastic crap stuck all over it, waiting to break when you drop it. OR, you can add another 30 lbs worth of armor to protect it all.

My DR650 is, based on the above-scale value, over 100 lbs lighter. On paper, it's as tall, but it's narrower. Plus I lowered mine 2-1/2" so it fits me much better, even though I'm still pretty short (29" inseam).

1 - 20 of 80 Posts