TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode by a cycle shop today and my fiancee took a liking to a klx250 sitting out front. 07' with 850 miles on consignment. Price is $2900 otd. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? The price seems right and it looks to be in great shape except for a bent turn signal bracket. I'm really just excited that she wants to get rid of the ttr and move up to a real bike! Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had about 30 now in the last 9 or 10 years, if you include scooters. I seem to average about 3 per year. A while ago I bought a new 2009 KLX250SF (supermoto) and also bought a used 2009 KLX250S. I got a good price on both, so I think they very nice bikes for the money. The suspension is quite good, especially compared to a TW. Power is modest, very gentle, but decent. My KLX wouldn't climb as well as my TW last summer going up Imogene Pass in Colorado (14,000 ft.), but did make it. I later put a pipe and jet kit on my S and it helped a bit. I like them and would buy another if a good deal presented itself. I met up with author, Dr. Greg Frazier http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/284/6900/Motorcycle-Article/Dr--Frazier--Deep-Into-The-Alaska-Bush.aspx a while ago and he reported liking his 2009 KLX250S as he can pick one of these up when dropped, as opposed to the the BMWGS or KLR650 he has frequently ridden on his around the world (5 time) ventures. Read into it what you will, but seem to be a pretty good sign.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rode by a cycle shop today and my fiancee took a liking to a klx250 sitting out front. 07' with 850 miles on consignment. Price is $2900 otd. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? The price seems right and it looks to be in great shape except for a bent turn signal bracket. I'm really just excited that she wants to get rid of the ttr and move up to a real bike! Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

They are good bikes... Seems like a good price. Around here you can get a new 2010 for just under $4000 or a new 2013 for ~ $5000.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess my main question is, is there another dual sport bike that may be better for her that I should wait and find for her? Or is this bike just as good as the next and in the right price range? I will also ride it a bit when I want to go faster than my TW and tight trails the KLR cant go.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
157 Posts
If she can stradle the KLX then it would be a decent choice... The CFR is about the height but 20lbs heavier. The KLX has tons more aftermarket parts & accessories. The CRF is new so farkles are sketchy but will come along shortly as it is a hot seller & demand is high.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The KLX is a good bike. For similar prices/displacement, the XT225's are a little more street friendly, while the CRF230's of similar vintage are better offroad, but either can take the others' place with the right rider. I'm not sure where the KLX would fall between (or outside of) the two, but I know it would be better on the top speed unless you're getting the XT250 or CRF250.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it for a spin today and I have to say it was a little underwhelming. Her ttr125 has more torque than the klx. Didn't see that coming... I asked her why she wants this bike and she said she likes the way it looks?! Typical woman I thought to myself. I was kinda hoping that I could get her a bike that I could do some more intricate trail riding than the TW can handle. I have taken her to look at all the other smaller dual sports and she really wants the klx. I'm wondering if I could get away with doing the big bore without her noticing.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I have tried to get her to consider another bike but she's dead set on the klx. I am talking to a guy selling his klx for $4200. It has a 330cc big bore kit. I talked him down to $3700 but that's still more than I want to spend. His bike has every farkle and upgrade you can think of and i'm trying to sell a few of my things to get the money.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I've had about 30 now in the last 9 or 10 years, if you include scooters. I seem to average about 3 per year. A while ago I bought a new 2009 KLX250SF (supermoto) and also bought a used 2009 KLX250S. I got a good price on both, so I think they very nice bikes for the money. The suspension is quite good, especially compared to a TW. Power is modest, very gentle, but decent. My KLX wouldn't climb as well as my TW last summer going up Imogene Pass in Colorado (14,000 ft.), but did make it. I later put a pipe and jet kit on my S and it helped a bit. I like them and would buy another if a good deal presented itself. I met up with author, Dr. Greg Frazier http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/284/6900/Motorcycle-Article/Dr--Frazier--Deep-Into-The-Alaska-Bush.aspx a while ago and he reported liking his 2009 KLX250S as he can pick one of these up when dropped, as opposed to the the BMWGS or KLR650 he has frequently ridden on his around the world (5 time) ventures. Read into it what you will, but seem to be a pretty good sign.

If your KLX wouldn't climb as well as a TW, something is/was wrong with it. It might not be a powerhouse race bike but it's motor produces a whole lot more power than that of the TW200.

Anyway to the OP: I've had two friends with these (one an 08 and one an 0'10). I have ridden that bike and it's a lot of fun. It is a mild power delivery but its got what you need power-wise 99% of the time. Suspension is quite good, especially for a dual sport. Excellent bike for trail riding. And they seem to be pretty reliable. Little problems but you can Google that and take care of them preventatively. I would tend to lean ever so slightly toward the CRF250L normally. But for 3k otd, get it and be happy! You won't regret it (just make sure you google the common problems and take care of them early).

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked up a 07' with 575 miles on it for $2200!

I was looking at ordering a 351cc kit from bill blue for about $530. I found one on ebay that is up for sale at $250. The motor was run low on oil. Is this worth buying and honing and replacing the piston or should I just bite the bullet and pay for a new one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KLX250S-KLX-250-250S-KLX250-JE-351-CC-B-B-Big-Bore-Kit-Cylinder-w-Pist-/400318090230?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d34d14bf6&vxp=mtr

http://bandbcyclerestoration.com/?no_redirect=true

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Picked up a 07' with 575 miles on it for $2200!

...The motor was run low on oil....
Congrats on the new purchase.

IMO,, if the bike is in running condition, has good compression, and isn't making knocking noises, just change the oil and filter, check all other maintenance items, and ride it.

.... Unless you have the need for a project to work on...
And in that case, keep us posted on your progress.

Jb

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me clarify. The bike is in excellent condition with no issues at all. The big bore cylinder I just bought on ebay was run low on oil.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Resell what you bought on Ebay (disclosing the low-oil info, of course), and go buy a new one. If you're going to mess around with an already in-excellent-condition engine, then at least use pristine new parts, IMO.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have decided to send it to the guy that makes them and have him hone or bore it depending on what he thinks. Paid $200 for it so if it doesnt work out I can at least get my money back out of it. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Resell what you bought on Ebay (disclosing the low-oil info, of course), and go buy a new one. If you're going to mess around with an already in-excellent-condition engine, then at least use pristine new parts, IMO.

After thinking about it, that's what i'm going to do. It's probably worth the extra few bucks for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
You'll definitely be happy with the end result. A KLX 351S is one sweet ride!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts