TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was asked to write up a comparison and I am quite happy to do so. I got my 2013 (or 2010... I don't remember) KLX250 two days ago and I really love it so far. It's not particularly fast by any measure, but SUPER linear torque curve allows consistent pull all the way up to 70 where it just sorta... Stops haha! But that's as fast as I need really. Having said that, there aren't many more benefits of the KLR vs TW. I will try to list to make it easier to read.

KLX High Points vs TW:
Speed (~70MPH easy)
Taller
MUCH better suspension
Six gears

TW High Points vs KLX:
Fuel economy
Simple, simple, simple
MUCH more comfortable seat
Much more stable at any speed
Much easier to chug around at <10MPH
Rear tire (you know I'm not leaving that out)

Really I just wish the TW had a 250 flavor. That honestly would be the perfect bike. For the time being though, I love the light weight of the KLX, the superior, adjustable suspension, and the motor. Trust me though, I will get a proper street bike in a few years and add another TW to the stable! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. I'm not sure what all I am supposed to include in a first impression haha!

Kyle

·
Registered
602 Posts
I bought a KLX250 in 1994. Had one ever since except it's a 300cc now. And still have one. A 2002.

Sitting around resting this afternoon and decided I needed to take a Saturday afternoon relaxing ride down some old mining roads.

I took the TW.

I still really like the KLX but the TW is getting the most miles. Around 1500 this past year. Almost all on dirt.

For me, to compare them, I couldn't. It's like what do I like best, apples or oranges? Well, it just depends when/where/etc.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KLR 250 is a sweet ride. How about a TW267 with a decent suspension and triple disc brakes?
Unfathomably incredible. Even if the brakes and suspension were overhauled it would be awesome!

KLX or KLR?
Whoops! KLX! Got mixed up halfway through there! Edited!

I bought a KLX250 in 1994. Had one ever since except it's a 300cc now. And still have one. A 2002.

Sitting around resting this afternoon and decided I needed to take a Saturday afternoon relaxing ride down some old mining roads.

I took the TW.

I still really like the KLX but the TW is getting the most miles. Around 1500 this past year. Almost all on dirt.

For me, to compare them, I couldn't. It's like what do I like best, apples or oranges? Well, it just depends when/where/etc.
Totally true. Puttering around anywhere really, I'd ifnd myself grabbing the TW. If I have to hit 10-20 miles of highway to get to trail, probably the KLX. It's almost hard to call the TW a dual sport anymore, given the 'average' dual sport as determined by the market. It's a TW. It does what a TW does. Basically everything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Owned a KLX 650 for a year and it would smoke a KLR 650. Of course the TW 200 is in a different category which I like better. Tdubs rule!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Actually, once upon a time there was a potential TW250--TT-R engine parts and trans, stock crank, bigger cylinder liner. xr100.com did the conversion to TT-Rs. You can buy the parts, but if you managed to cop one of their 28hp TT-Rs, well, all you'd need would be a reground TW countershaft and a gasket kit. Tdub2's head is a very close copy of what xr100.com was doing to TT-R heads.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Bought a brand new KLX650 in 93. What a horse!

I even rode an enduro on it. Big mistake. Noodles for muscles by the end.

My youngest son 15 at the time really ticked me off the first time he got on it. Pullled about a 75 foot wheelie, came back and said, I LOVE THIS BIKE!

Darn kids anyhow.

He had his hands full picking it up though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had two different KLX250 bikes since my first Tw200. One was an "S" the other was the 'SF'... one is an attempt at a supermotard, the other is a highly capable 250cc dual sport

Anemic from stock, decent supply of aftermarket parts available to fix that right quick tho 8)

They are a hoot, sound great with a FMF pipe, and can get up to 130km/h without sounding like they are going to explode. That being said, you still end up wanting a bit more when it comes to highway... In both mass and power. But, if you want a really good trail bike, get a KLX250s used for under 3000 and dish out another 500.00 or so for a big bore kit. The KLX350s is supposedly a woods weapon

One warning about the KLX250s that is enough to mention.. Accessing the carb is a complete and utter pain in the ass. Backbreaking, even with a lift. Not fun, and I did it over a dozen times in my search for power. These bikes will get you chasing a hp here and a hp there.. It's a curse that can be solved by getting a drz400 or sticking with a tw200 :p

I didn't love either one enough to keep from selling, but I would like to have another one someday and get it bored out, add a big back sprocket and flog it offroad. Right now I'm content with the shiny Tw200 in my garage :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I've had two different KLX250 bikes since my first Tw200. One was an "S" the other was the 'SF'... one is an attempt at a supermotard, the other is a highly capable 250cc dual sport

Anemic from stock, decent supply of aftermarket parts available to fix that right quick tho 8)

They are a hoot, sound great with a FMF pipe, and can get up to 130km/h without sounding like they are going to explode. That being said, you still end up wanting a bit more when it comes to highway... In both mass and power. But, if you want a really good trail bike, get a KLX250s used for under 3000 and dish out another 500.00 or so for a big bore kit. The KLX350s is supposedly a woods weapon

One warning about the KLX250s that is enough to mention.. Accessing the carb is a complete and utter pain in the ass. Backbreaking, even with a lift. Not fun, and I did it over a dozen times in my search for power. These bikes will get you chasing a hp here and a hp there.. It's a curse that can be solved by getting a drz400 or sticking with a tw200 :p

I didn't love either one enough to keep from selling, but I would like to have another one someday and get it bored out, add a big back sprocket and flog it offroad. Right now I'm content with the shiny Tw200 in my garage :)
Umm, yea...this guy isn't kidding about the carb in this bike!!! I've had that abominable thing in and out at least six times. HUGE PITA!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yep, getting the carb back in is a pain. Getting it out is fairly easy though. But back in? Ugh. I've done it enough times though that I can pull it, rejet, and put it back together in about 15 minutes total. I spent an entire afternoon doing it to mine (twice), using my wideband O2 sensor to aid in jetting. I did it the first time with the 351 and the stock carb, then a second time when I put the TM34 carb in it.

I wonder if I could put my old KLX carb on the TW... Hmm....

Rob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts