TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

KLX250S vs DR650

13K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  kdick91 
#1 ·
TWers! Let me preface this by saying I miss all of you very much. I sold my TW a few months back for a KLX250S that I got too good of a deal on. Turns out, the Kawasaki forums aren't nearly as good as the TW forum. So after doing loads of trail time and loads of highway/commuting time I have some beefs. First off, if anyone is thinking of selling their TW, don't. Just don't let it go unless you HAVE to. I need my TW back on the trails. Its pure joy. But I needed a commuter for work and the TW couldn't cut highways food enough for Houston. So here's where the KLX fell in my lap. I regeared for highway use. So now 1st isn't all that spectacular for technical trail stuff and it's still wound out in the highway. Does good, in fact I pulled 89MPH on it!!! Won't do it again.. haha but I'm really looking to pound out serious miles across the highway getting to trails all over the world. I don't want to be limited at the capability of the bike offroad. Trust me, my limitations will kick in first on most stuff. But having the KLX on the highway has several problems. Not only is it wound out all the time, but the gas tank is insanely small, and it feels almost too light at times. My concern with a DR though is that it'd be too heavy offroad (360lbs) and it's only a 5 speed so I feel 1st gear is still gonna be fairly useless in low speed stuff. Ahhhh!!! All these thoughts running through at light speed. Can anyone help me make sense of this?! I promise after my wedding I will in line to get another TW too ;)

Kyle

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Ahh, the age old problem of finding the perfect bike. :) My answer is to own at least 2 bikes. Unfortunately you will be riding one and wishing you were on another as the conditions of the ride change. In my experience there is no perfect bike to do it all. (It doesn't mean that I'm not trying to build one). Enjoy whatever bike that you own, while also daydreaming about the next. I haven't found a motorcycle yet that hasn't been fun to ride.

#3 ·
I got the TW for the desert I take it on my truck and ride my DR650 out to the desert but have to keep it on SUV type roads. Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Off-roading Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car
the mighty DR650

#4 ·
Yeah the first gear on a dr is pretty tall and it is a heavy bike. What about a wr250. A bunch of guys I ride with say they will do 70 all day long. They make more power than the klx250 but they do have a fairly tall first gear. From what ive seen and read they are the best thing going for a do it all bike.

#6 ·
I have 2 TW's. a DR650 and a Buell. I ride one of TW's all the time and if I sold the DR and Buell I don't think I would miss them. If I sold the other TW, the parts bike, Big D would miss it.

Reactions: Fred
#7 ·
Well the KLX250 makes plenty of power to do 70MPH all day. Even with stock gearing. I just feel bad having the thing wound out all the time. It doesn't seem to notice at all, but who wants to sit on a bike for hundreds of miles st 7k RPM lol it wears on you. I'd really like to see the gearing on a WR250 though. If that final gear is steeply overdriven I'd be so happy. Well as long as first gear can be used in slow speed stuff. I'd really like a two bike setup with a TW and DR. I think that would be ideal. Then maybe a street bike, a cafe build, probably another TW for friends, and throw in a nice fast bike. I can dream ;) right now though an upcoming wedding prevents me from having two. Really just need to investigate a WR250 and put my butt on a DR650. Any of you guys with DRs in the Houston area wanna trade beer for seat time?

#8 ·
What about a DRZ 400? Puts you right in the middle. A friend of mine has both TW and DRZ400 while a little tall the 400 is a great bike. But he is selling it back to the guy he bought it from. The guy really missed it. My friend is not as confident on the 400 as he is on his TW.

Reactions: Borneo
#9 ·
I was looking at the DRZ 400 I am 5"9 29 inch inseam way to tall in traffic. Seat height: 935 mm (36.8 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.

#10 ·
Dr650 runs 70 all day long without even a hiccup. Plenty of aftermarket mods for the DR also. Think the DR/TW combo is the best imo. Im 5-8 and the DRZ isn't that tall, with suspension mods and different seat think it would be fine.

#11 ·
FWIW I sold a klx250s and bought a drz400e and plated it for DS use. Off-road, the added power and better suspension is way better than the klx. The drawbacks for me are the 5 speed transmission and perceived weight due to the height. On the highway I hate the drz for anything more than a few miles. ACT has a wide ratio transmission upgrade that dramatically improves the stocker but the case must be split and the parts arent cheap. I would say the dr will be an improvement and you can learn to deal with the height and weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I know it's been a while, but I felt I owed a story for anyone who comes along this thread.

So I sold the KLX250S.

Warranty as in-tact and everything and I had a few tasteful mods (cams retimed, jetted, exhaust, regeared) and was able to get almost exactly what I put in to it. So that's all good considering I put 2k miles on it. Commuting wasn't too awful. Rode on highways to and from work with no major drama, though it did it WOUND out. But the thing was just mediocre on the street. Not comfy, not responsive, etc. Typical modern dual sport. The kicker was though, it was not nearly as fun as the TW off road. Nowhere close. I may have been spoiled by the TW, but everytime I got on the KLX I felt I was riding one big compromise. I also had no friends that rode offroad. Zero. So I knew what had to be done...

I then got a street bike. After some ultra careful negotiation with the wife-to-be, I picked up a 2014 Honda CB1100. Extremely satisfied with the bike so far. Loads of power (to me), comfortable, and I feel like it does perfect exactly where I need it to be perfect. Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but it's black. They one come in two colors in the US.

The even happier end of this story is though, a pair of TWs in absolutely in the future. Post-wedding that is, but in the future nonetheless. Getting rid of the TW was a big big mistake and I the next one (or two) I get aren't ever leaving me. Theres just no bike as rewarding. So any of you reading this thread looking to abandon your TW... Don't. You need a second bike. Period.

Hope some of you enjoyed my story, sorry it's so long haha

#17 ·
When I decided to get back into "Dual Sport" riding last winter, I had planned on buying a klx250, because my first bike purchased new was a Kaw 250 On/Off Road Bike back in 1974....and I loved that damn thing....but once I found this site, and talked with some others in the know...the TW, lower seat, less power, and a grand less, put me back in the Yamaha Mode{my 2nd bike being a street 650 ass kicker}....and 8 months into TW ownership I have zero regrets....;)

#18 ·
Congradulations on the upcoming nuptuals Kyle.
If somebody hands you an envelope with $10,000 at the wedding you might consider newer mid-displacement dirt oriented dual sports all with 40+ horsepower. Beta RS in the older 350,450 or 520cc flavors or 2015s with slightly smaller displacements. Customizable but with Voyager standard. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motocross Motorcycle racing

Or the KTM line of EXC, 350cc or bigger Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Enduro Car
These are leading edge bikes with excellent build quality and features. Perhaps too dirt oriented for extended adventure touring but zippy enough for the highway,I have read .

#19 ·
Every now and then I venture on the TW forum to see how things are. Today was one of those days haha. I got watching TW videos and realized how much I miss my TW :(

Still my ALL TIME favorite bike no doubt. I did get the off-road itch again though and the CB1100 has been gone for about a month. I loved the bike, but pavement is downright dreary. I'm still chasing the fun I had on my TW in Colorado. I ended up getting a WR250R. It's no TW, but hopefully it can scratch a few itches. I looked at a few KTMs, but ended up being more power than needed. I will get myself in to trouble offroad with too much power and the WR seems like a really great package.

I have seen a few TWs around town, so if any of you locals get chased down and waved at by a guy on a WR, that's me!

#20 ·
Prior to my TW I had a DR650 and used it exactly the same as I presently use my TW. So never did much highway on it (have a street only bike for that). But stock geared it worked well on highway and didn't vibrate much at all. Plenty left to pass and the low end torque of the big single was good at lugging around at lower speed though it was too tall for much technical stuff.

I regeared mine for better off road work and then first was great for off roading (still taller than the TW) but highway was far more frantic. Tops out around 130km/hr (80ish mph). It also made power wheelies very very easy despite me being rather hefty.

It was a great machine and if I could only have one bike it be a strong contender but they are pretty hefty for real technical off road work. I have injuries that made riding a heavier bike off road too risky which is why I got the lower lighter TW and am happy with my decision but I will say the DR is a great bike.

#21 ·
I had a KLX250S. I have a DR650. I had the DR before, and have it after. And now i have a TW. That oughta tell you something. :)

I ultimately was not impressed with the KLX250S. In fact, I ended up hating the bike, even after doing the 351 big bore and full suspension. That stupid thing tried to kill me quite a few times. It just wasn't the right bike for me. The DR is heavier, yes, but it has a better suspension (from the fact that it has 10" of travel) especially now that I have it properly sprung and shocked both ends. It won't do singletrack as well, but if you want to ride singletrack, you want a WR or a real dirt bike.

One thing that really bugged me about the KLX is it has a huge lack of anything resembling torque. The TW, conversely, with a smaller motor, has really nice low-end torque. Sure, once the KLX had the big-bore, it was better, but it still didn't have the initial bite of torque that the TW, or my DR650 have.

So whenever I'm doing a trip where I'm specifically planning to do dirt, I take the DR, even if it means riding 1000 miles of asphalt. It's really quite nice on asphalt. If it's a mostly pavement ride where dirt extremely mild or very little of it, I'll take the V-Strom.

#22 ·
Rob, I agree that the stock KLX is pretty gutless, but I felt that my 331 had boatloads of bottom end torque...miles ahead of the TW in that regard IMO. I mean it is geared a hell of a lot taller than the TW, so there's that. Anyway, doubtless the DR 650 has boat loads more than even that :) Those damn Suzuki's just won't go away. My DR has stuck around through FOUR other motorcycles (all that I have ever owned, besides the Honda Ruckus 50)! It has always been a secondary bike for me: still going strong at 22,000 hard miles.

#23 ·
A good friend of mine actually picked up a DR650 as his first bike. I was concerned about the weight at first, but it really has been the most versatile bike I've seen. He's been able to go everywhere (so far) that I have been able to go, albeit slow, and it does spectacular on the highway. MUCH more 50/50 than a KLX. That being said though, the bike is a rolling compromise. On highways it still isn't heavy enough to prevent shakes and offroad that extra 50lbs over the KLX catches up FAST. At a sit still I took the bike and started leaning it till I felt it was getting too heavy and it happens very soon. Still a great bike if you're looking to do a little of everything, but if you're not doing 50/50, there are better bikes for both worlds.

In other news, I got to take the WR250R in to work this morning and I really can say that this bike is worth the extra cash over the KLX just in gearing alone. It will lug in 6th at 55mph and cruises AMAZING at 75+MPH. Though, it can stand to go up a few teeth in the rear. 1st (and 6th, really) are too tall. (Or isn't tall enough? RPMs need to be higher, that's what I'm getting at).

I do agree about the TWs 'torqueiness'. I don't think it was actually that torquey but it had a stump-puller 1st gear that worked really well and a closely spaced 2nd. The gearbox on it made the 200 work as well as it does.

#24 · (Edited)
Congrats on your WR kdick! That's sweet. I suggest 14/51 gearing for that bike. Much better off road and still super smooth at 60 mph.

www.gearingcommander.com

#25 ·
Thank you!

I just scooped up a 48T rear to run with the OEM 13T but I also have a 14T in the bag. Gonna do some experimenting :)

I can't believe Yamaha threw the book at this bike in terms of emission control. EXUP valve, air injection, and air box flapper! And of course, huge catalyst... naturally this will all be removed in due time. Dynos show these things rip once uncorked!

Reactions: kj7687
#26 ·
Only reason for the 14 is that I've read the stock 13 can cause the chain to eat at the swingarm a little over time. Not a hundred percent sure if that's true; perhaps it isn't an issue if you keep the chain properly adjusted all the time.

#27 ·
I actually did research in to that. All sprockets (unfortunately) can eat through the swing arm, the smaller sprockets pose a larger risk. The general consensus is to adjust the chain with the suspension as compressed as possible and leave it on the loose side. Though nothing will prevent me from checking the swing arm slider constantly now..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.