TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was riding yesterday and came very close to stalling a few times and heard a definite knock, not sure if it was a rod knock or piston slap. Has anyone experienced this on your TW?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep you were lugging the engine at low rpm.
Yep, I definitely was, I guess I never lugged her that low previously. Just curious if others have experienced the knock or if my bottom end is getting tired.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Yep, I definitely was, I guess I never lugged her that low previously. Just curious if others have experienced the knock or if my bottom end is getting tired.
No expert but even a brand new TW will make that noise when lugged hard. From experience.

Tom

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, mine will do it too. 2013 with 800 miles on it. If I neglect or forget to downshift and give it some throttle it with have a low freq. knock for a couple of seconds. No big thing. Once the rpms pick up a little it goes away. Mark

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
In a lot of motors, the knock you hear is a piston distortion knock from pre-ignition. I have never seen it damage an engine unless it is done excessively, then it will definitely blow a hole in the top of the piston. This is true for all gas engines. MY RECOMMENDATION: Prevent doing it at all costs!
Mel

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies! I'm less worried now, and I'll keep the revs up higher in the woods.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Mine also does it, seems to do it more if it's hot. 91 octane with no ethanol helps some.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious , what gear were you in and what speed ? . TIA
Very slow, first and second gears, trying to keep from launching the bike out from under me while trying to pop the front wheel over a few logs across the trail.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have a 2001 125 and the engines are "knockey" anyway.......I try and kill mine on every ride out and it takes it! I wouldn't worry.....just enjoy the ride

1 - 13 of 13 Posts