TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recieved my kolpin stronghold and tried to mount it up. The stronghold attachment point is lower and further back on the case than previous kolpin gun boots. I mounted it to my cycleracks.com rear rack. And the case was just way too much in the way. I got an idea to turn it the other direction. Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good idea...?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Unfortunately that much leverage on the rack will really test the welds where it goes under the seat. It would not be the first broken Cyclerack or frame crossmember. The further back that weight is, the more force it's putting on that connecting area when it flexes. That said, there's people carrying chainsaws on the trail so it may be fine. I'd say go easy on the bumpy stuff if you really can't mount it forward. I take it you can't mount the muzzle end down at the passenger peg?

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Looks like a good way to break the Cyclerack, they do not resist cantilevered loads very well.
A soft sided scabbard mounded mid-bike beneath right leg is a common alternate carry mode for long guns.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the smaller version of the Kolpin Stronghold currently mounted on my Tusk Utility Top Rack, alongside a small milk crate and 1.5 gallon Fuelpax. Mine is mounted in a similar position, as it was the only place I could put it that wouldn't interfere with riding. Only have a few trips on this setup fully loaded but so far, the Tusk rack is just fine. Here in CO firearms have to be fully enclosed while on the trails - no scabbards. The Kolpin is larger then I would like it to be, but it does the job.
Kolpinstrong.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts