TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Fantastic!

Excellent size engine for many of us who don't want or need a huge and heavy ADV bike for exploring

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've seen that they are coming, they are not coming, they are coming, they are not coming. I will believe it when I see it and then it will probably be the first and only bike I would buy brand new.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I have to say I'm with Doogster on this one. I'll get exited when the official KTM web site announces a new 390 Adventure.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That sounds like a promising bike if it were to pan out. A bike I'd likely be interested in down the road as a possible replacement for the TWand Victory if I ever decide to gi to a single bike garage. I have ridden Hondas CRF250L and Yamahas WR250R. And found both to be very good bikes and would consider either for a "can only have one bike garage". But having a bit more displacement with a bit more comfort and wind protection without adding too much weight sounds even sweeter.

But alas as it is I happy with my two bike stable.

·
Registered
807 Posts
From the looks of it this article was from August. Just before that is when it was rumored that they were shipping a few to India for testing and development wasnt it? So I think that article is a rehash of old news.

·
Registered
762 Posts
From what I've read, the KTM is a needy bike. Its roots are in motocross and racing - and reliability and ability to run without service, those are not the selling points.

I don't know how, in the same basic part of the world, the same culture of mechanical excellence, you could have BMW's history of trouble-free cycling, and KTM's constant failures and servicing needs...all within a few hundred kilometers of each other.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Motorcycles are like dogs Tinybear. They do much better if there is more than one.
This is true but it's also true that much like dogs the cost of one is far less than multiple. Witch in turn leaves more funds for trips, travel, and exploration.

That being said having tried quite a few bikes there is no perfect single machine for me YET. So for me two bikes is a needed evil. And since I have the two it would be very difficult to go back to a single bikE (I really love my Victory and my TW).

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
From what I've read, the KTM is a needy bike. Its roots are in motocross and racing - and reliability and ability to run without service, those are not the selling points.

I don't know how, in the same basic part of the world, the same culture of mechanical excellence, you could have BMW's history of trouble-free cycling, and KTM's constant failures and servicing needs...all within a few hundred kilometers of each other.
It really depends on the model with KTM. The bikes that are based on offroad bikes [like the entire EXC range] have offroad service intervals and maintenance requirements, but the ones designed for the street are a more standard interval. For example the 690 enduro has a 3000 mile oil change interval, but the 500 EXC has a 5 minute/ end of the block [whichever comes first] oil change interval. You just have to deal with it if that's what you want. KTM's bikes are like BMW's cars: they're great when they're working, but you better have decent mechanical knowledge or a thick wallet if you want to play.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I thought because this article came from "over there" it is likely real, for "over there" anyway. Hopefully KTM will start communicating better on these bikes, because lots of buyers have an interest, but not all will wait them out to produce and get them in the USA.

On reliability of BMW "cars" (having owned a few and a BMW Mini), I'm convienced their wonderful reliability is a direct result of how they sell and service them. Dealer service for the first several years are included in the purchase price, so no owner expense problems come up. It's a high-end crowd buying them too. So they typically service them correctly after that initial purchase maintenance has expired or trade them in and get a new one. BMW is well known for preventitive maintenance; replacing wear parts "before" they fail. That is key to long life and reliability.

If KTM designs their small Adventure bikes properly, they should have maintenance intervals for the type of bike it is. If one follows what they design to, then my best guess is the bikes will be reliable. Of course there is always the chance that first year out issues come up. With cars I usually wait for at least the third year of a model to purchase unless they have an excellent track record like Honda, Toyota and Porsche, but even those manufacturers find items that need upgrading the first couple years that don't neccessarily fail, just need improvement (IE: Bought a first year out Toyota Landcruiser in 1990? First year out model got needed improved brakes and improved power overhead cam engine 3 years later).

IMHO all this waiting on KTM and Honda could be trumped if Suzuki would just add EFI to their existing 400... :whip2: Get with it Suzuki!

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
On reliability of BMW "cars" (having owned a few and a BMW Mini), I'm convienced their wonderful reliability is a direct result of how they sell and service them. Dealer service for the first several years are included in the purchase price, so no owner expense problems come up. It's a high-end crowd buying them too. So they typically service them correctly after that initial purchase maintenance has expired or trade them in and get a new one. BMW is well known for preventitive maintenance; replacing wear parts "before" they fail. That is key to long life and reliability.
Well I'll have to take your word on that one. I'm not the kind of person that buys new cars that have dealership warranties, but I think BMW's "reliability" lasts about as long as the warranty does. I have known many used BMWs [owned by friends as well] and no matter what, something is always broken on them. If something isn't broken, it will be by the time you get home.

Don't get me wrong- I don't dislike them at all, I'm just realisic about the time and money you have to put in to keep them running right.

Also the high end buyer is only the original owner. BMWs lose their value [and high end price] quickly. Most are owned by normal dudes, surely.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't know anything about this video, but it purports to have some very specific info. For all I know it is as big a fraud as the US Gov't. :p

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I'll have to take your word on that one. I'm not the kind of person that buys new cars that have dealership warranties, but I think BMW's "reliability" lasts about as long as the warranty does.
That's exactly my point. Problems happen and get fixed by the manufacturer without all the owner frustration, so survey's don't always reflect what actually happened during initial ownership.

I once looked into the Toyota Prius track record. OMG! Those things had more problems and repairs than you can count, but the survey's say they are wonderful. Somehow they don't coount the stuff the manufacturer recalls and repairs free I guess...

Still like the idea of a 200/400 KTM Adventure bike, but I have never owned a KTM mainly because of the high price. This bike is "supposed to" be priced for the masses. We will see.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know anything about this video, but it purports to have some very specific info. For all I know it is as big a fraud as the US Gov't. :p
There are clearly two different bikes in that video. The one at 1:00 is diiferent. Not sure why?

Anyone know how to convert that price???

·
Registered
762 Posts
There are clearly two different bikes in that video. The one at 1:00 is diiferent. Not sure why?

Anyone know how to convert that price???
The conversion would be irrelevant.

That is for the Indian or Thai market. This model hasn't been brought up to US EPA and DOT standards - which costs. Certification of a model is expensive.

Plus there may be serious cosmetic or feature changes...maybe even a different basic frame or wheels or suspension. Americans are heavier...like Germans. The smaller KTMs are made in Thailand, if I understand correctly.

As to the two: I think it was part of a sales presentation or training vid for the whole KTM lineup. The two apparently overlapped in the vid.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
One very important thing you should know about KTMs..............they get passed on the trail by old men riding Yamaha TW200s.

Haha, there is such an ironic truth to this. A lot of well-to-do-ish middle classers in their mid life crises go out and buy the biggest and baddest KTM's when they couldn't ride a TW to save their lives ;-)

In fact this isn't just a KTM phenomenon; lots of people buy WAY MORE BIKE than they can actually use - both off road and on.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It really depends on the model with KTM. The bikes that are based on offroad bikes [like the entire EXC range] have offroad service intervals and maintenance requirements, but the ones designed for the street are a more standard interval. For example the 690 enduro has a 3000 mile oil change interval, but the 500 EXC has a 5 minute/ end of the block [whichever comes first] oil change interval. You just have to deal with it if that's what you want. KTM's bikes are like BMW's cars: they're great when they're working, but you better have decent mechanical knowledge or a thick wallet if you want to play.

I love bikes from many Manufacturers. I have had bikes from Aprilia, Harley, Yamaha, Ducati, Suzuki, in the past 15 years. Now I drool over the KTM690 Enduro.
If I was keeping a running total on all the bikes maintenance cost. Ducati would come out the most expensive per mile. But I also would vote under ideal conditions it is the most fun. The TW200 is the cheapest. When I look at the odometer it has the least mileage too. Riding it two up at max throttle appears rough on engine. So who knows when it will fail.

The Surprise is my Harley Road King Classic. All I have had to do is basic maintenance and it always runs perfect. The Harley has the most mileage and shows no signs of aging at 12 years old. It's still worth more than 50% of the new price I paid for it. And probable the easiest to sell based on offers I get at work from people that have wanted to buy it.

Now going back to the Ducati 998, people either admire it's focused look and parts but no one would actually buy it from me at market value, just too impractical to most riders. But when conditions are right the satisfaction is off the chart even if it's brief.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The Surprise is my Harley Road King Classic. All I have had to do is basic maintenance and it always runs perfect. The Harley has the most mileage and shows no signs of aging at 12 years old. It's still worth more than 50% of the new price I paid for it. And probable the easiest to sell based on offers I get at work from people that have wanted to buy it.
Shhhhh..........you cant say things like that here :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts