TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son recently bought a KTM 200cc 2 stroke, from a friend.
I don't know the model designation or anything, but is anyone familiar with these bikes? Are they reliable?
It is pretty light, and too damn tall for me.
Thanks for any info you can tell me.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
As with any high performance dirt bike you must maintain it. Small bore 2 smokes take a lot of it some more than others. Best thing to do is get a factory shop manual and look over the service list.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My buddy had a ktm 300 two stroke. It ran awesome.... when it ran. He bought it and shortly afterwards it needed to be rebuilt. We rebuilt the motor and shortly after that, the forks and rear shock needed rebuilt. After about a year of riding, the forks started leaking again. That was about the time he traded it for a yfz450, which is one hell of a quad by the way. He had that for a while and traded it for a suzuki dr650, which is also pretty awesome. Moral of the story is, in my experience atleast, ktm makes a mean machine that runs like a bastard but cant stand up to itself. Just for a frame of reference, he rode the bike like a dirtbike. He didnt beat the everloving shit out of it but he did ride it like it should be ridden. I cant say my experience on ktm is extensive but its my experience regardless.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oh i forgot too that shortly after he sold the ktm, the guy called him and had to replace something in the transmission. Shift fork or something like that but at any rate the tranny needed to be worked on.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have a KTM 2 stroke. I am familiar with them. Any specific questions? Most answers will depend on year. They can be reliable, yes.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
My son Kyle (Stig) who you may have met at Moab has a 450 KTM. He rides it 1/3 of the time, working on it 1/3 of the time and sitting waiting for him to work on it 1/3 of the time. I can't quite put my finger on it and other than bragging rights to something great...when it runs...I don't get it. Sort of like when I owned a H-D. It was the macho thing to do but was it worth the price. Maybe.

None of this helps with your question but from reading the above I don't think I'm way out of line with my thoughts and comments. I'd love a KTM 350 EXC.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My son recently bought a KTM 200cc 2 stroke, from a friend.
I don't know the model designation or anything, but is anyone familiar with these bikes? Are they reliable?
It is pretty light, and too damn tall for me.
Thanks for any info you can tell me.
I bought one used. Messed around with the carburator for 3 days in Mojave Desert. Never could get it to run. Carb was bad. Replaced it. Forks started leaking. Rear Shock leaking. Couldnt get rid of it fast enough. But Thats just me😁

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have heard a lot of good things about the ktm 200 if in good shape should be as reliable as any 2 stroke if taken care of, I rode a friend ktm xc 250 and it was a nice bike light and plenty of power. Reminded me of the days when two strokes were king and the smell of the oil burning.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As with any high performance dirt bike you must maintain it. Small bore 2 smokes take a lot of it some more than others. Best thing to do is get a factory shop manual and look over the service list.

His buddy who he bought it from did give him a factory service manual with the bike.
And I think he's supposed to do a top end rebuild every 50 hours or so.
Do we'll see how it goes.
Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh i forgot too that shortly after he sold the ktm, the guy called him and had to replace something in the transmission. Shift fork or something like that but at any rate the tranny needed to be worked on.

You know I advised him not to buy it, but kids never listen.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Or rather your buddies.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a KTM 2 stroke. I am familiar with them. Any specific questions? Most answers will depend on year. They can be reliable, yes.

No specific questions, but so far it's been very good.
Hopefully it will be good for him.
And I've always liked 2 strokes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My son Kyle (Stig) who you may have met at Moab has a 450 KTM. He rides it 1/3 of the time, working on it 1/3 of the time and sitting waiting for him to work on it 1/3 of the time. I can't quite put my finger on it and other than bragging rights to something great...when it runs...I don't get it. Sort of like when I owned a H-D. It was the macho thing to do but was it worth the price. Maybe.

None of this helps with your question but from reading the above I don't think I'm way out of line with my thoughts and comments. I'd love a KTM 350 EXC.

Hey Kris,
I think I did meet your son.
I guess I'm partial to Japanese bikes, nothing else seems to be as reliable and low maintenance.
As for Harley's, I have never cared for them, I think the harley guys mostly do it for the image.
After my 2 surgeries, I'm doing so much better, and I will be able to ride soon.
Wishing you well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought one used. Messed around with the carburator for 3 days in Mojave Desert. Never could get it to run. Carb was bad. Replaced it. Forks started leaking. Rear Shock leaking. Couldnt get rid of it fast enough. But Thats just me😁

The carb on son's was changed to a lectron and it's been great so far.
But I don't know anything about them, as for the forks and shock's leaking that can happen to any bike I think.
Thanks for sharing your history with the brand.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have heard a lot of good things about the ktm 200 if in good shape should be as reliable as any 2 stroke if taken care of, I rode a friend ktm xc 250 and it was a nice bike light and plenty of power. Reminded me of the days when two strokes were king and the smell of the oil burning.

I know, we used to go over to the races at Laguna Seca, and the smell of castrol r was intoxicating.
I will see how well the thing does, but if he rebuilds the top end, on schedule maybe it'll be o.k.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Always remember that KTM (Keeps Taking my Money) is a race machine, high performance, when it's all sorted. They are VERY well represented here in the North East for woods riding. Highly modifiable and supported, especially suspension. They are powerful, light, and expensive to buy and maintain, ESPECIALLY if you use them hard like you're supposed too.

But I fall into a category of riders that simply can't sit on one. They are universally the giraffe of motorcycles. 37-38 inch seat height! Even on the small displacement bikes!!

If was hunting for a reliable woods/trail machine, it would be Japanese first. If I was racing competitively, it would be European. If you are inclined to tinker, then a riding any trail bike in the woods will definitely satisfy that, urge no doubt. There's always something that needs touching.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ktm has always been all about power. Regardless of my experiences with their reliability, no doubt they are an absolutely gnarly machine.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just sell the KTM and get him a bultaco

Kidding, but sort of not...joking aside though, 2 strokes are a great way to get to know dirt bikes, and as long as you know/learn how to maintain them, they are a weapon in the woods and on the trails.

I spent a couple years with two rowdy party animal KDX200s... it was fun, but now I've settled into a long term relationship with my TW200...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I spent a couple years with two rowdy party animal KDX200s... it was fun, but now I've settled into a long term relationship with my TW200...
Hey young bull, do you want to run down the hill and enjoy one of those cows or do you want to walk down and enjoy them all?

·
Registered
20,732 Posts
Howdy Bad Luck. Glad your on the mend but don't let a borrowed ride on the sons 200XC-W sign you up for a third surgery.:cool:
Want to let others know what a fine and helpful gentleman Bad Luck is. When last in Moab he gave me all sorts of help for which I am still very grateful. He's got some nice toys in his well equipped shop too for both dirt and the mighty rivers there. A really nice guy!
KTM makes some mighty machines , I think I could hurt myself with one these days. Was riding an Argentinian's 450 EXC I met on the trail a few moons ago. We swapped bikes and off I charged amazed at how I could tackle rocky singletrack at speed with the plush suspension. He also likes night trail riding and has the killer LED lighting to facilitate this. Still at higher speeds trouble looms out of the darkness that much quicker so quick reaction times are a must....a bike more for my exuberant youth.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts