TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I ordered this and now I am going to install it but I'm pretty darn sure I need somthing else here.

http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.asp?prodid=612624&showprevnext=1

I am replacing my entire rear cluster with this unit.

It is 12 volt. But If I just connect my brake/turn wires directly to it I'm pretty sure the

turn single won't acutally work from what I've read about other people trying this.

Pretty sure it needs to be "loaded" with a normal bulb. Otherwise it will flash too fast or not at all?

The guy who I ordered it from assured me it would not need one of those.

But I think he is totally wrong in the case of the Tw200.

If he is wrong does anyone know of a in-line product I can add to simulate the amp load of a normal bulb?

Or am I in-correct and need somthing else?

I'm going for a totally naked look and I really think this licenceplate LED bar is about as clean as I can make it look.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Take your original flasher to an auto parts store and ask for an electronic flasher that is not load sensitive with the same size connectors. $5-10. No extra doodads to go wrong. You can order online here. I used the FL2-Red, but when I did my conversion the motorcycle and scooter flashers had yet to be invented.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks qwerty!

I'll use that website you linked me too. I'm not sure what one to order. Or even where my current "flasher" unit is. Where abouts is the old unit I need to replace located?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Under the right side cover on Tdub, but that's where I might have relocated when switching to the electronic flasher. Sorry, I'm old and coming down with CRS. I think you'll want the motorcycle flasher with the single plugs. If I do another TW I'll use the motorcycle flasher with the individual plugs and change the connectors if necessary. On Tdub I soldered and shrink tubed the original wires and used the FL-2 Red, right at the top of the flasher page. It is bolted under the right side cover right up above the front end of the tool kit tray.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you install this led light assy on the rear, what are your turn signal type in the front? If they are still stock bulb type your rear LED setup will work with them and still blink normally.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good question poolsgold,

Currently the front lights are still bulbs.

Yesterday when testing the rear licence plate LED bar it would not flash.

The front light came on and stayed on. Ither blinker. Left or right. Just stayed on.

I was very sure since the front lights were still bulbs it would flash still. Or flash a little faster maybe.

Now that said I will be installing LED lights on the front of the bike too. So I do need to order a new blinker unit.

I think I am going to order on online. So I need to find a place.

Qwerty linked me to a place a few posts up. But it looks like this is a soder in unit and not a outright replacement that uses the same plugs. Not that I mind if I have to soder it in. Easy ither way.

Any comments on why it did not blink with the front bulbs still in

Or any other recomindations about what replacement unit to order? Or should I go with the FL2-Red that qwerty linked me too?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Your mechanical flasher relies on the load of at least two bulbs to operate.

Basically what it does heat up a bimetal, which opens and closes a set of points. When you don't have the full load, no flashie. It will flash faster if it has a heavier load, as when connecting a trailer, or if adding more incandescent bulbs to the circuit. LED bulbs have almost no amp draw, hence your turn signals light up, but don't generate enough heat to operate the bimetal swioth.

Electronic flashers aren't load sensitive. They're basically just electronic timers that open and close a swith.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Lizrdbrth,

Thanks makes sence.

Still super odd that the rear led light did not come on when the front bulb was stuck on.

That makes me think I have another problem of some sort.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Thanks Lizrdbrth,

Thanks makes sence.

Still super odd that the rear led light did not come on when the front bulb was stuck on.

That makes me think I have another problem of some sort.

LED's are diodes. That means current only flows one direction. Try reversing the connectors.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never thought of that. I just assumed the black wire was negative. I'll connect my volt meter and test that as soon as I get home from work. Thanks for the tip!

Also! Off topic

Lizdbrth, I see in your avatar profile picture your bike looks like it has a stock headlight without the plastic front fairing. Do you have any high rez photos of that area of your bike? I wanted to explore my options of removing the headlight fairing but leaving the stock headlight and "trying" to clean up the rats nest of wires. Or perhaps there is another thread on this topic? From your photo it looks like you've done it very nicely!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I don't have any closeups of that. Wish I did.

I used to have an over the headlight front rack which interfered with the fairing, so I remove the fairing entirely. Frankly the look isn't all that great up close because the headlight bezel and fork-mounted bracket are kinda homely.

The rat's nest can be eliminated to a great degree by sorting out the wiring and shortening it, wire-by-wire. It's a lot of work, but probably worth doing. I took the time to do it with the original '87 wiring harness, but have since changed the lighting/charging/ wiring harness to the mid-model, then the late-model, then back to the mid-model. I never shortened these, so the wiring behind the headlight is the typical ziptied mess.

I now have a round headlight, and stick most of the ugly inside the housing. Not the smartest thing to do because the housing sees a lot of heat and could melt the wiring. I need to shorten it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info!

I'm curious how most bikes with aftermarket headlights clean up that mess. Many of the tw photos I've seen it apears that there are almost no wires in that area at all. Very interesting!

I'll be sure to post my videos/photos of my project tw once I get the time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Superbrightled.com has alot to choose from. What is the replacment for 12v 32 3cp rear tail light for our TW's? I just get lost looking at all the bulbs.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I have a 5 watt Lxeon, but superbright doesn't sell them anymore. I've noticed the units used to indicate intensity are not the same on all bulbs they sell, and some have no intensity listed. If I was shopping, I'd call and ask for whatever is brightest if I couldn't make up my mind. My experience is cheap LEDs don't put out much light, and should not be considered for street use if you want to be seen.

1157-R45-T would probably be my choice for tail light. I'd remove the chrome reflector from the turn signals, paint the inside of the housings gloss white, and run 1157-A45-T in the front and 1156-A45-T in the back.

Then I'd pick up a trailer wiring adapter that converts integrated turn and brake trailer lights to independent turn and brake tow vehicle lights and have my rear turns come on with the brakes, but still flash normally when the turn switch is engaged.

Then I'd wire up a set of these http://equipsol.net/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_75&products_id=597&zenid=3f62331fe66bb2ac8cc19ca1086fe663 just for kicks. I have them on my topcase. The brake lights use superbrightleds.com's LSC100A brake light flasher module. The turns are wired through the LSC-100B brake light flasher module and through the trailer turn/brake convertor. The white backups are wired through the FL2S-10A brake light flasher module and an electronic turn signal flasher from Advance to the brake light circuit so they blinkityblinkityblinkity--pause--blinkityblinkityblinkity--pause--blinkityblinkityblinkity--pause--blinkityblinkityblinkity--pause--blinkityblinkityblinkity--pause.

CAN YOU FRICKIN CAGERS SEE ME NOW!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Time for me to order my digial single relay for my LED flasher.

I still don't know what part to order. Qwerty said FL2-Red. But he also said he did his awhile ago? This does not look like a plug and play solution? Is there more than one unit relay in the bike? Two things look very similar. This is the unit I removed.

It does not look like the FL2-Red unit. Is there a plug and play solution that I have missed?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have used a 2 wire led flasher from rocky mountian atv on several tw200's

Rocky Mountian atv

Tusk L.E.D. Flasher Relay

Part # 1274960001

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is very afordable. I am still hoping to find a plug and play one. One that works with the exsisting harness.

Perhaps the photo I posted is not of the relay at all? Maybe I am confused?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Qwerty, I'll try to show my setup a bit better.

This is under my seat with all the electroics strapped to the seat pan.

The unit I took a picture of is not in this photo.

It is attached to a plug under my hand.

I am only holding what I am holding to make it a clear photo so we can clearly see all the peices.

I am trying to locate the relay. Anyone spot it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts