TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my afternoon ride and I am c-c-c-c-cold!! :cold:Newbie me needs to find some cold weather britches for temps in the 30's. I have boots, heavy wool socks, wind proof/lined jacket, gloves, balaclava, a winter Buff, a helmet and winter goggle style sunglasses for cold weather gear. I am trying to locate pants that would be windproof and (hopefully) fleece lined. Right now I am wearing a pant from Duluth Trading Company that is windproof, abrasion resistant and fleece lined and I pair it with merino wool long johns. Unfortunately I am still feeling the chill in my legs when the temps are below 40's. :(

So can you help me shop for something WARM? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Not much will help in those temps other than more insulation. I'll ride down to 40 or so with 100% windproof Olympia pants along with a light set of wool long john bottoms. Of course, I have a heated jacket liner and boot insoles along with heated grips, these REALLY help.

Note: not a Lady but I figured I'd throw my $.02 in...

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Just a thought. When it's really cold out I wear my long john's and cheap pair of Coleman rain pants under a pair of jeans. Works well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wear Under Armor under my jeans and I have not been cold. I also wear it up top with a few layers and my rain liner in. My fingers are the only thing that get cold.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Look at Motoport / Cycleport ( they are located in California the owner's name is Wayne Boyer......no, I'm not affiliated )....a bit expensive,perhap's,but REALLY good gear.You can choose from 1000 Denier cordura or Kevlar material. Not one of the gal's,but,a TW'er you are!.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey...dirtgirl

Only once I had to wear pant that went over my jean for cold weather and it was on our honeymoon in May a couple of years ago. Most of the time I wear the generic brand of Under Armour that I bought at Target. The brand I like the best is Tour Master (because all of their gears come layered) which can be pricey but I always wait for sales at the motorsport store or have gotten them on Craiglist. Definitely keep an eye on Craiglist since a lot guys get gears for their girlfriend or wife but they end up selling them because they don't like riding motorcycle. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Walmart hunting department has 100% polypropylene long underwear for ladies (it's pink) that comes in a variety of fabric weights for different conditions. Under $15 each. Works well and a great value. My wife was always cold and these let her ride year-around.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm not a lady. But I'll throw in $0.02. Ski or snow mobile pants. The ones with suspenders sewn in and zippers that go full length on the outsides of the legs. I wear them in snow at -20*F walking or down to 0*F riding. If it is warm enough for rain I wear a pair of red Columbia titanium pants, omni-tech waterproof breathable. You know, the silver dots. Big part of cold riding is just getting used to the wind chills induced by the bikes speed. If I have to ride long distance in the cold, I wear layers under the pants, and put my rain gear on over top. Hardest part should be keeping your hands warm. I wear columbia gloves with the silver dots and liners. I wear a silk balaclava inside my helmet, full face modular in winter. While I'm here, I wear an AlpineStars Drystar jacket with the liner. Remember to get the clothing large enough so you can wear layers underneath. AlpineStars makes some nice top and bottom sets that zip together for women. Let me see if there is a link............Home Alpinestars Look all around their site and don't think that you have to limit yourself to the stella gear. Get what works for you. It's not the cheapest gear, It's good gear with good protection, CE armor.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have Gerbings jacket liner and gloves that I wear while riding my Triumph. I just got my TW this past weekend and am not sure if I can use my Gerbings or not. I layer, I wear the Women's LD Comfort Tank Top under a long sleeved shirt under the Gerbings liner which is under my Tourmaster Trinity waterproof jacket. For my legs, I don't have heated gear but my best layering is when I wear my long johns under my Draggin Jeans (Kevlar lined) under my Tourmaster Venture waterproof pants. For my feet I usually wear a pair of Merino wool socks under waterproof riding boots. I think the key to cutting down on the bite of the cold is wearing waterproof gear. I have been riding to work this week and the temps. are in the mid to high 40's so I haven't been wearing the long johns or the Draggin Jeans and since I am still in the honeymoon phase with my little TW I have been foregoing riding my Triumph and going without the heated gear. I do prefer the heated gear when the temps are in the 40's though. I have also found that my Olympia mesh jacket is very warm when I put the rain liner in and since it's a high vis jacket I have been wearing it more than I thought I would since my ride to work is in the dark. I got that jacket to wear in hot weather but have found it very versatile. I had a Kilimanjaro high vis jacket but I sold it because it was too long and bulky for me but it was a very nice, warm jacket. Good luck staying warm, I think my comfort also has a lot to do with how long my ride is going to be. My commute to work is 13 miles so I am just starting to get really cold some mornings just before I get to work. If I had a longer commute I may not be able to endure the temperature. I also found I could save money at events, the vendors usually bring things they want to clear out and sometimes really slash the price. I got the Kilimanjaro jacket for half of what it retails in the stores because it was a new two year old jacket that hadn't sold...and they didn't charge me sales tax at the event. There was one little hiccup with that purchase though, they forgot to remove the security tag and the dealership was an hour and a half away from where I live so I thought I could have any store remove it....I was wrong....:rolleyes:

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
814 Posts
I bet that was noisy. =]

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree that waterproofs over the top of your usual gear to keep the wind out does help, & they dry out quicker if you should get caught in the rain

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If its real cold I layer and wear raingear over my riding clothes, heated grips plus tusk atv mitts. I have ridden mid 20's and been fine. Stay away from cotton

·
Registered
546 Posts
While I was riding to day I realized I forgot to attach "Toasty Toes" to the bottom of my socks. Then, I realized I should mention using those to you all. I get those in the hunting department, I also always carry some of the hand warmers just in case I need them.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
My fingers are the only thing that get cold.
put latex gloves on under your gloves...i used to mountain bike a lot in very cold weather a lot...different cause cycling you're working more to move but it will help

Walmart hunting department has 100% polypropylene long underwear for ladies (it's pink) that comes in a variety of fabric weights for different conditions. Under $15 each. Works well and a great value. My wife was always cold and these let her ride year-around.
side note...i think we have all missed you're input...thanks for coming back :D

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
As seen in the photo, I use ATV Mitts. Me hands & fingers are always warm :)

Lots of different one's available

Reactions: frehley76

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Of course, I have a heated jacket liner and boot insoles along with heated grips, these REALLY help. Note: not a Lady but I figured I'd throw my $.02 in...
Lucky you! You're ready for anything with that set up. :icon_thumleft:

When it's really cold out I wear my long john's and cheap pair of Coleman rain pants
My hubby said the same thing regarding rain pants. When I went to look at your link, I was reminded of my cycling gear that included a set of windproof tights. Voila!

Yeah, that's the tricky part~keeping our fingers and toes warm and cozy. Ski gloves anyone? ;)

Look at Motoport / Cycleport
Frog13, that is some niiiiiice stuff! I'm all about fine craftsmanship and this company is no exception. I bookmarked it. Hmm, maybe for Valentine's day.....

Only once I had to wear pant that went over my jean for cold weather and it was on our honeymoon in May a couple of years ago. The brand I like the best is Tour Master...
Thank you Purple! Got a little chuckle over your honeymoon adventure ride. :cool:

Walmart hunting department has 100% polypropylene long underwear for ladies
Thank you Querty! I have seen those and have worn poly in the past but I prefer merino wool because the wool keeps me comfy in temps ranging from 40-70 F. And should I get wet it will keep me warm as well. Walmart does offer a pretty good selection though.

Ski or snow mobile pants.
Yes! Excellent idea, OurDee! I forget to think about other winter sports apparel. Snow mobile pants would probably be more fitting for the TW than say an old pair Carhart overalls that I have. :evil6: The local farmers and woodsmen would get a real kick at me motoring around in it. Have thought of wearing my Muck boots as well but the toe is too thick to shift on the Dub. So it's waterproof/windproof/Thinsulate hiking boots for the gravel roads. :D

I wear an AlpineStars Drystar jacket with the liner.
Hubby surprised me with a Joe Rocket jacket with a zip out liner. It's good stuff and so versatile! I do like AlpineStars clothing and I can see me shopping for nice shin protecting boots in the future.

I don't have heated gear but my best layering is when I wear my long johns under my Draggin Jeans (Kevlar lined) under my Tourmaster Venture waterproof pants. For my feet I usually wear a pair of Merino wool socks under waterproof riding boots. I think the key to cutting down on the bite of the cold is wearing waterproof gear.
Thank you Dette! I will look for those jeans. And I agree about wearing waterproof gear in the winter. It does help quite a bit.

My commute to work is 13 miles so I am just starting to get really cold some mornings just before I get to work.
Lucky you having a nice commute. Are you riding on a quiet, scenic road?

My wife swears by Cycle Gear's Freeze out garments.
Philosobrad, that is quite a testament of the garments performance in really cold temps. :thumbsup:

I agree that waterproofs over the top of your usual gear to keep the wind out does help, & they dry out quicker if you should get caught in the rain
Sparkyjan, you are right about the rain gear over the other. Mr dirtgirl has suggested I get a rain gear also so I need to look for a nice rain pant and such. I love your kitty in the avatar. :love_heart:

If its real cold I layer and wear raingear over my riding clothes, heated grips plus tusk atv mitts. I have ridden mid 20's and been fine. Stay away from cotton
Friends don't let friends wear cotton.

While I was riding to day I realized I forgot to attach "Toasty Toes" to the bottom of my socks.
Oh that's a good idea too! I'll look for those next time I go to Chinamart, uh, Walmart.

I just wear non insulated goretex hiking boots with smart wool socks.
Me too! I like Fits brand wool socks as well. Have you tried them? It's a company out of Missouri (I believe) and their merino wool socks are nice and beefy. Good stuff I tell ya.

put latex gloves on under your gloves...i used to mountain bike a lot in very cold weather a lot...
Point37, that's an interesting idea. But doesn't it make your hands sweat and thereby get cold? It's nice to meet another mountain biker here on the forum. Winter months are made for mtb'ing.

As seen in the photo, I use ATV Mitts. Me hands & fingers are always warm
ATV mitts-woo hoo!!! I remember some folks on fat bikes in Alaska that wore those. And folks in Fargo, MN. And really, really uninhabited regions of the US. ;)

Thank you so much TDubers~you are very innovative and creative when it comes to comfort on the bike. I really appreciate all the suggestions and Mr Dirtgirl was impressed as well. Too bad he belongs to the KLR club. Bet they are not as fun as we are! :p

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yesterday I went out in 40'ish degree weather on the motorbike and explored more gravel roads that I hadn't ridden before. I got to thinking about some of my cold weather cycling gear and remembered I had winter tights that are windproof and I used that as an under layer instead of my merino wool tights and it did a much better job. I still felt a little wind under the pants and tights but nothing like the day before. Brrrrr!! Note to self: carry a thermos of hot tea on your next cold weather ride. I really am interested in the Freeze Out gear and it looks like just what I need for when the weather is :cold:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Point37, that's an interesting idea. But doesn't it make your hands sweat and thereby get cold? It's nice to meet another mountain biker here on the forum. Winter months are made for mtb'ing.
it's sort of like wearing a wet suit, the sweat stays warm cause the latex gloves aren't breathable...as long as the gloves you have over them are insulated enough and cut the wind good you should be good to go...latex gloves + goretex oversocks are 2 things i never ride without in the winter...i used to use dive gloves for mountain biking but after a while they start to smell really bad and they make your hands smell even after a shower so i stopped using those...could use the penguin gloves to keep the fingers a little warmer and still have some of the functionality of gloves vs mitts...those atv mitts look like the way to go though...i used to ride 3 times a week and 2 of the 3 times were at night with lights...i wish i had the time to get out and mountain bike more but now i hike mountains more cause it's easier to stay in hiking shape than riding shape...but yea it's def good to see another rider on here :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts