TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas-

Im helping my GF with the tw200 she bought used from a previous owner. It's a 2011 with about 3500 miles.

For an initial look over, she brought it to a shop and had them inspect the bike and clean the carb. I dont remember this problem occurring before the bike was left with them, although the bike had been sputtering anyway an needed a tune-up.

So the bike comes back and the sputtering is all gone, it rides smooth, and power is delivered to the wheels as it should once it arrives. The only problem is a lag in the time from when i twist the throttle to when i feel power being delivered to the wheels.

I had previously thought it was a slipping clutch issue, but everything checks out with the clutch and the gears arent slipping. I notice it in neutral or with the clutch in when the bike isnt moving. Flick the throttle, slight delay, then comes the power. Odd.

I figure Ill be tearing down the carb to clean it, but any ideas on where to focus my attention?

Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
Phelonius has a good point, you can’t go wrong focusing attention on your girlfriend.

Reactions: cowboyjeff

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It is probably lean:
1. Idle mixture screw too lean, rather than about 2 1/2 turns out from gentle seat. I'd check this first.
2. Vacuum leak, which can be from carb not seated into intake. An unlit propane torch can be applied to area, while running...listen for a change in idle.
3. Pilot jet partially clogged...check if you have to actually get into the carb.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: jtstdub and Ndica

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Doc- Ill check that out!

And as far as attention to the GF.... It might be a Colorado thing, but there is a phrase that goes, "no friends on a powder day," meaning that deep powder takes priority over all. I feel the same way about bikes, and shes already hard pressed to even somewhat keep up.....so.....I should fix this problem because Id really hate to have to ditch her when riding the high Rockies. ;)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thanks, Doc- Ill check that out!
Welcome, but that was just my first thoughts.
Post what you find, but I may not see for a couple weeks.
Leaving tomorrow for Charlottesville, VA and probably won't log-on for the duration.

Reactions: Ndica

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
How much lag are we talking here? The 2011 (2001+) has the "new style" CV carb, so there will be a slight delay as the vacuum builds to lift the needle. If we are for sure talking a longer lag, then I would open the carb up and check for any holes or tears in the diaphragm, I'd make sure all of the parts and springs are there and where they are supposed to be, and that the needle and everything moves freely. Reference here: http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/881-tk-carb-photos-parts-identification.html Make sure the throttle cable free play is set correctly too. Good luck!

Our carbs are very similar to this animation:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks WA Larry

That visual can help me conceptually narrow down the possibilities. You asked how much lag- having owned a few carby bikes, this is definitely off. Im not used to riding tiny engine bikes like the TW, so i was wondering if the small motor just doesnt respond immediatley to fast throttle turns. If i twist the throttle slow, it goes steady on, but the lag from a hard throttle flick without question seems abnormally long (to the point where it feels just like a slipping clutch). No other carb bike ive owned has felt like this. I appreciate everyones help. You guys are great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts