TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The North American Dudes (me, ejfranz from B.C. and Old Man w/a better camera than me) attempt a ride taking us up the Owyhee River, past the Lake Owyhee Dam & Reservoir. We then rode up Birch Creek Canyon on Fisherman Rd. then over to the cliff near Iron Mtn. My camera malfunctioned or I should say it was operator error and the rest of our ride was not video recorded. We continued riding up and around 3 Finger Rock and dropped down to Succor Creek C.G.

Old man w/he was tired & sore, decided to end his adventure at Succor Creek and headed back with me and ejfranz (not admitting we're sore & tired...we were) continuing up Antelope Springs Rd.

And then...about 2-3 mile later I got a flat tire. Having tools but no patch kit, spare inner tube or air compressor we limped back down to the campground where I rode the Canadian TW bike back to get the truck/trailer. Ejfranz asked me to keep it under 80...kph that is. I did, on the record:p. That done I returned to the campground to retrieve my TW and riding partner. Ah, they say it's not an adventure if something doesn't go wrong so I guess I had an adventure. :)

With the flat, I only made it to about the 68-mile mark on the map before I had to abort the mission

As mentioned, this video only captures roughly the first half of the ride. I hope Old Man w/two tires has more video and can fill in the second half.

Photo evidence of the ride.

First part of the ride is pavement up the old RR grade which was used to transport workers constructing Lake Owyhee Dam back in the 30's

Riding up to the dam

Ride along the lake for a few miles and then we the bumpy part of the ride

On Fisherman road looking back at the campground on Lake Owyhee at the end of the pavement. You can see part of the dirt road down below too

Union break as we're heading up canyon

Wild Horse grazing near Iron Mtn. Old man posted a cool photo of this in the Were have you ridden your TW today thread.

Don't go any farther or you'll sling yourself off the cliff.

Ejfranz soaking in the Cliffside views

"if you move just a few steps to your right you'll be in the center of my picture". I don't think he was buying it.

Old man w/purple camera. I'm jealous, his camera was better than mine.

Later than day somewhere in the vicinity of Long Gulch and 3 Finger Gulch

Took a spur road which lead to an old mine area. This winch frame and some wire rope are all that remain

This is the mine. Dug open pit style

We rode on and got some good views of Three Finger Rock. You can see this rock from all over the area.

We then dropped down into Succor Creek Canyon near the campground

and then this shortened the day. Had to ride 2-4 miles back to the C.G. were I went to retrieve our tow vehicle

I see a new inner tube and tire are in my immediate future. Got about 75 miles of a planned 102 ish mile route completed. It was still a great day for riding.

The end

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
As always Kris, great ride report and pictures... :D

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is the campground on the res any good? we were, at one time, thinking of going there to camp and ride
I've only briefly driven one of them several years ago. There are two separate camp area's not far apart, less than 1/4 mile from one another. From the road they appear to be neat and orderly but other than that I don't know much about them such as hookups or price.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That filled in the blanks very well. Awesome.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Sweet. Looks like a great ride.
it's just about a year ago that Mrs Trip and I got to enjoy Kris and Lori's hospitality ourselves.

·
Registered
20,510 Posts
Say Admirl, Lori could get you some tire balls for Christmas.:) shopping.jpeg

·
Registered
20,510 Posts
Gee Lori, seeing the way you ride your pink TW I figured you already had plenty. :D
See you next week!

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that ride doable with ATVs? Looks like a great trip. We want to hike into. Carlton and Painted Canyon sometime.
Great atv riding out there. Another good hike is lower 3 Finger Gulch. A road down Craig Gulch dead ends at 3Finger Gulch. Up the Gulch is some stone horse corrals. Down the Gulch takes you to the lake. I've not ridden this part but if you ride the trail down Long Gulch off the road we were on near mile 48 on my map posted earlier, this should take you just above the horse corrals. It dead ends also so you'd have to hike I believe.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I've only briefly driven one of them several years ago. There are two separate camp area's not far apart, less than 1/4 mile from one another. From the road they appear to be neat and orderly but other than that I don't know much about them such as hookups or price.
don't need no stinkn hook ups!

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the obstructed view from a dislodged homemade camera filter. In the Owyhee's between Lake Owyhee and Succor Creek. Descending down from McIntyre Ridge to Succor Creek.

·
Registered
20,510 Posts
So Kris, were you wearing the other half of those yellow sunglasses? :D
I would expect nothing less from a guy who gives thumbs up to cows.:rolleyes:
Actually the UV filter seems to work very well.
Admiral and the cows each get one thumbs up!:icon_thumbright::icon_thumbright:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts