TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Although I don't do it or condone the behavior as it makes us all (motorcyclists) look bad, unless there was a real good reason for the trucker to open his door it was wrong on his part. If it were me and he did that "just because the motorcyclist shouldn't have been passing" I probably would have gone to jail for kicking his a$$.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I would not consider this video to be an example of what is commonly referred to as "lane splitting" or "lane sharing" - at least how it is currently defined and allowed in California. I would consider this to be improper passing on the part of the motorcyclist.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Most people don't realize that in California, if you do something to actually impede a motorcyclist legally splitting lanes you can be cited for it or be charged for causing an accident.
Mel

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I just used that term without thinking. I am a country boy, and I forgot there was actually something legal called lane splitting in some places.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
After I retired from Environmental Health work in 2002, I drove/delivered RV/Motorhomes for 6 years, just for something to do...I would take many runs west to So Cal and watch in amazement on I-5 and other locations as {IMO} the idiots would lane split...I figured most of the dumbasses had a "Death Wish"...legal or not, it's a stupid practice....if for nothing else your own safety...but Hell, I'm just old fashion, we all do stupid things and some of us cheat the Grim Reaper....:eek:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Depending on where this incident happened I would have either kicked his ass or sued the shit out of him. What an asshole.

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
143 Posts
even though lanesplitting is legal in some states and the AMA has pushed to keep it legal I don't think I would ever do it, just because the everyday motorist has no idea it is legal and just gets pissed because you are getting to work on time and they are not.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
The problem is that in places such as California, the traffic jams are so bad that bikes overheat standing in traffic - you almost don't have a choice if you are on the freeway, you have to keep the bike moving. I would and have done it when needed. Albeit slowly, not like these guys racing at 60 miles an hour through miles of traffic.

Reactions: Ebbanflood

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
So what do you do? All you can do is shut it off and roll with your feet in the highway traffic jam. I've heard some big bikes sound like a boiler getting ready to blow up. And some don't have the sense to shut their engine off, even if it is for only a minute or two.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I think the temp does go up for a bit, but it's better than leaving it running in a case like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts