TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to attach it at one point with the straps already on it and attached it at the seat area with nylon rope to the cyclerack.

It's water *resistant*
Very durable
Massive
Relatively Cheap (check Ebay, Amazon, or military surplus store)

You don't need shoulder straps or a frame but you can mount it with those and no extra straps or rope, meaning you could put it on your back and walk it if you need to. I have them, but decided to do it like this instead.

[PHOTOS ATTACHED]

Attachments

·
Registered
20,391 Posts
I like the idea of a fully functional pack like this. That way when the rack or bike itself breaks then one can transfer the load to one's back. Good also for those occasional forays on foot when one does not wish to leave somewhat valuable gear unattended.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I like the idea of a fully functional pack like this. That way when the rack or bike itself breaks then one can transfer the load to one's back. Good also for those occasional forays on foot when one does not wish to leave somewhat valuable gear unattended.
What Fred said... and even though you wouldn't be able to feel your arms after a couple hours using it fully loaded... I do miss how tough you felt after manhandling an Alice pack on a 15 mile ruck.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hiked 70 miles of the foothills trail with that same pack loaded to about 20 lbs. Wasn't too bad for me. After about 30 miles you don't even notice the bruising or burning created by the padless shoulder and waist pads. You sort of become one with the pack. Really makes me wish the foothills trail was open to motorcycles, but, I do think the TW200 is the only stock bike that could really do it comfortably outside some pro trials rider on a trials bike, and even with the mighty mule, it would be tough.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I did something similar to this on my ride this weekend. I used a utility/hiking REI backpack I've had for years. It has so many compartments and straps, loops, hooks on it already, I was easily able to pack a change of clothes, shoes, water, snacks and all my tools. It's not quite as large as the Alice Pack, but like it, I could strap it on my shoulders if need be. Good stuff. I may have to get myself an Alice bag for an actual overnight camping trip.

IMG_3782.jpg

As you can see, still plenty of room for stuff in that bag. It can hold a lot more than you'd think.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I hiked 70 miles of the foothills trail with that same pack loaded to about 20 lbs. Wasn't too bad for me. After about 30 miles you don't even notice the bruising or burning created by the padless shoulder and waist pads. You sort of become one with the pack. Really makes me wish the foothills trail was open to motorcycles, but, I do think the TW200 is the only stock bike that could really do it comfortably outside some pro trials rider on a trials bike, and even with the mighty mule, it would be tough.
Hah! So true, I love the Alice pack but it sure doesn't take long (if it's heavy enough) for you to start finding every way possible to hate it. But 20 lbs wouldn't be too bad.

I just had a bad experience once where my rucksack was supposed to be van hauled to a training area and I'd pack in a rucksack with a radio in it (old school SINCGARS ((see below)) 40lbs with the batteries), but as expected in the army, I walk outside ready to form up, van is gone, and my Alice pack is laying there on the ground... all 35 lbs of it... so I frantically packed all the gear and radio into one ruck... sweet Jesus that was a brutal 12 miles.

You earn emotional medals of victory if you've packed that bag around.

99B84EB6-6F1F-4A13-9173-B309F2115F56_1571351918713.jpeg

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Hah! So true, I love the Alice pack but it sure doesn't take long (if it's heavy enough) for you to start finding every way possible to hate it. But 20 lbs wouldn't be too bad.

I just had a bad experience once where my rucksack was supposed to be van hauled to a training area and I'd pack in a rucksack with a radio in it (old school SINCGARS ((see below)) 40lbs with the batteries), but as expected in the army, I walk outside ready to form up, van is gone, and my Alice pack is laying there on the ground... all 35 lbs of it... so I frantically packed all the gear and radio into one ruck... sweet Jesus that was a brutal 12 miles.

You earn emotional medals of victory if you've packed that bag around.

View attachment 198648
Old school alright. I was jumping that beast nearly thirty years ago! Our boys CANT still be using that thing are they?

Tom

·
Registered
505 Posts
Nah, they started going to ones half the size of that after I got out of training. The new stuff they have now is all lightweight, modular, long range, and passes data... like a Wi-Fi network... they'll never understand lol

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hey TDubbery, have you ;or anyone else) tried just the butt pack for the Alice pack? I borrowed a buddies Alice for a mock-up and strap management aside, it seems to overhang a bit of it isnt loaded up.

Wondering if the buttpack might be a good alternative. Guess it really depends on the rack you have, too.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey TDubbery, have you ;or anyone else) tried just the butt pack for the Alice pack? I borrowed a buddies Alice for a mock-up and strap management aside, it seems to overhang a bit of it isnt loaded up.

Wondering if the buttpack might be a good alternative. Guess it really depends on the rack you have, too.
Sorry, I haven't used the butt pack but I will say the alice uses every inch of the cyclerack and a bit more over the seat area. I just use the two nylon straps that go over the whole pack that close the top flap to keep it tamed when it's empty. If you tighten those down, it holds the whole thing together pretty good. I use mine for my daily commute so it's always got stuff in it. Lunch, gym stuff, etc. But, when it's time to go camping, I imagine the large size of the alice is irreplaceable. The butt packs seem quite a bit smaller but also seem like they would work well either on top of the cyclerack or on the side / sides as saddlebags. Around 80$ for two butt packs in good condition vs 200 for a wolfman saddle bag I think I'd rather have the butt packs.

·
Registered
20,391 Posts
I've experimented with a variety of day-packs and valises on the TW racks. Like Goldie Locks searching for "Just right" I've finally settled on a mid-sized mountaineering oriented backpack. This day pack was just too small but fit well on a downsized rack I fabricated then destroyed pack on rack .jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts