TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a larger tank with a locking cap so when parked no one could put crap in my tank. I chose the XT 350 tank (thanks to mrgiz) and wanted to show the almost finish product along with the seat. I still need to camo the tank to match and work the seat a little more. This is a simple way to add 3.2 gal. and I spent $45.00 for the tank.

Ronnydog

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Ronnydog, Congratulations, it looks good. I used a nearly identical mount bracket for the rear when it installed the xt350 tank. I wondered about it being stable for a few miles, but now after 4000 miles with the xt350 tank in place, I'm convinced its a keeper. I prefer the nonlocking cap - there were too many times when my locking cap was so tight that I was afraid I was going to break off the key just trying to get ahold of the cap to fight it off. I'd lube the gasket and it would come off easily a time or two and then tighten up again. Here in NM folks take things out of your tank and do not usually put things in. I ended up raising my bars 3/4" but I'm not sure I needed to do so. Hows your clearance on the front forks? Too bad metal xt350 tanks are hard to come by. I think it works well. Tom

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
Thanks for posting the tank mod bracket. I too bought a XT something-or-other tank from Mrgizmow and I like this bracket idea. I can tell by your pictures mine is not a XT350, or the same year. Just finished with painting my frame this morning so I will start re-assembling the TW tomorrow. I will make a hybrid bracket from information provided by Mrgizmow and you.

I also noticed it appears you drilled some holes in your airbox cover and a couple larger vents(?) in the exposed area. Yours are quite a bit more uniform than the random locations I did. I'm going to post a photo I took of my airbox holes for another thread and forum members benefit (can't remember which one right off). I only mention this as I took the photo of the painted tank I got from Mrgizmow. Also, I hope you don't mind, but I will also reference your airbox in the thread.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
With apologies, because this thread is going to result in several questions and or queries re larger tanks, here is the link to MrGizmows overview of alternatives. http://tw200forum.com/forums/52354/ShowPost.aspx

I will note that Gizmow originally sported an xt600 metal tank which took a slightly different installation mod than rodnneydog used for his xt350 tank. Gizmow eventually replaced his metal tank with a Clarke plastic tank. Its also important that folks not confuse the metal tanks with the Clarke plastic tanks. Both work but the install is slightly differant in terms of tank shape, bar clearance, etc. Sorry for the resurrection of ancient history but there are many noobies aboard at present that missed the first 5 or 6 chapters on the old site. Tom

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ronnydog, Congratulations, it looks good. I used a nearly identical mount bracket for the rear when it installed the xt350 tank. I wondered about it being stable for a few miles, but now after 4000 miles with the xt350 tank in place, I'm convinced its a keeper. I prefer the nonlocking cap - there were too many times when my locking cap was so tight that I was afraid I was going to break off the key just trying to get ahold of the cap to fight it off. I'd lube the gasket and it would come off easily a time or two and then tighten up again. Here in NM folks take things out of your tank and do not usually put things in. I ended up raising my bars 3/4" but I'm not sure I needed to do so. Hows your clearance on the front forks? Too bad metal xt350 tanks are hard to come by. I think it works well. Tom

Tom the clearance is good with the forks, just a slight tap when fully turned. I do like the XT tank but was worried it my be to wide but it turned out to be narrow enough to make the ride pleasant. I am starting a fat tire front build and may have a problem then?

Ronnydog

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Tom the clearance is good with the forks, just a slight tap when fully turned. I do like the XT tank but was worried it my be to wide but it turned out to be narrow enough to make the ride pleasant. I am starting a fat tire front build and may have a problem then?

Ronnydog
Thats what I felt, a tap, or contact, but no real problem in a full turn. But once I had added the 3/4 " riser to the bars I could not even testify that it was just a tap. No marks on my tank after many 1,000s of miles installed. It was the best $40 I ever spent on the bike. Tom

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I felt, a tap, or contact, but no real problem in a full turn. But once I had added the 3/4 " riser to the bars I could not even testify that it was just a tap. No marks on my tank after many 1,000s of miles installed. It was the best $40 I ever spent on the bike. Tom

Its the top triple clamp that is touching the tank. Just a slight tap. My bars are raised with 1.5 tusk bar risers, you can see them in the pic.

Ronnydog

1 - 7 of 7 Posts