TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who’s invited: anyone who has time on their hands, feels like skipping work for a few days, or just wants to see what the hell The Admirals are up to! You’re welcome to come and camp even if you don’t ride with us. Luckily we like each other enough that even if nobody can come, we’re still gonna have a great time.

When: September 21-25 will be the riding days

Where: Kanab, Utah surrounding area

We don’t have an exact camp location yet. If anyone is interested, we will post on the forum where we end up. For those that don’t know us, we don’t like to pay for camping so our camp site will be a dispersed camp area. We camp with 3 dogs…..somehow during covid we’ve not only gained weight but we’ve gained 2 additional dogs and a grandkid! Fortunately, we’ve got someone to watch the kiddo but couldn’t convince them into watching the dogs too… guess money does not talk to everyone!!

We also don’t have exact places we will be riding either. I’m still recovering from knee surgery so the rides will be considered easy for experienced riders, and difficult for beginner riders. There will most likely be a combination of pavement, dirt roads, rocks, ruts, trails, evil sand that makes the TW go sideways, hills and anything else that you can think of.. hopefully the only kind of riding we don’t find is a ride in a helicopter to the hospital!

If anyone has familiarity with the area on good riding or camping spots please let us know. Otherwise, we’re gonna wing it and see what kind of trouble we can get ourselves into.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mrs. Admiral
I would give my eye teeth to be there.
I cannot think of a better way to celebrate my birthday.
But when I factor in the riding time both ways it's just not feasible..
I hope you have a large turnout and everyone has a blast.
I know I would.
Mike from NC

·
Registered
195 Posts
If only we had more lead time. In any event, take care of that knee, have fun (but be safe), and always keep it shiny side up!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Just "Wing It" trips always seem to turn out the best to me. No long planning just impulse, figure it out when you get there day by day. Hope you guys have a blast!

Let me see, if I leave now I could get there by the 26th!;)

Marty

Reactions: Willys714

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
An hour south-west of Kanab is the Mt.Trumbel Road which takes one out to Torroweep overlooking Lava Falls on the Colorado, last major rapid in Grand Canyon. Truly a worthwhile destination.

About 40 dirt miles of easy riding in from HWY 389. Camping is awesome with no light pollution at night, incredible sunrise and sunset views. I fell in love with place on a full moon camp-out and wish to return with the bike sometime.
I am tempted...
So more info on riding plans around Kanab?

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
An hour south-west of Kanab is the Mt.Trumbel Road which takes one out to Torroweep overlooking Lava Falls on the Colorado, last major rapid in Grand Canyon. Truly a worthwhile destination.
View attachment 208153

About 40 dirt miles of easy riding in from HWY 389. Camping is awesome with no light pollution at night, incredible sunrise and sunset views. I fell in love with place on a full moon camp-out and wish to return with the bike sometime.
I am tempted...
So more info on riding plans around Kanab?
We are truly "winging it" and you are more than welcome to "wing it" with us. Our plans, we think/hope, is to initially camp somewhere around (north) of Kanab and dry camp and ride the area roads/trails. We also camped one time just east of Zion and rode into the park. Not really on our menu to ride into the park again as that was a bad traffic/people experience.
A few years before that we stopped at a place to camp (without TW's) north of town and thought it would be cool to come back someday.
A few weeks ago on our way to Phoneix, we drove down 89 and saw some trails off the main road. Seeing them made up our minds to come back to ride.
We are just starting to look at maps to get a "feel" for the place but this will be a "figure it out as we go" kind of adventure.
Great idea Fred! I have heard and seen pictures of Toroweep before and didn't realize it was this close to Kanab. We are adding that to our list. If it's too far to reasonably ride from the Kanab area we may entertain the idea of moving. We only have a week so don't want to spend too much time moving around.
This will definitely be way more unorganized than the Moab/San Rafael Swell adventures. We hope for a good time.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hey Admiral(s),
I too would love to join you two as I've been following your adventurous rides for quite some time now. We just camped in a town called Hatch which, only a few miles from Panguich if you know where that is. They both are on the 89 as you mentioned. There's a ton of trails in that area including some that go BEHIND Bryce Canyon State Park. Then there's quite a few on the 14 that leads from 89 over a fairly decent climb and down to Cedar City.

There's great riding all over that are. Now, I'm not sure where exactly you're intending on camping but, just beware, there was a very large fire in that region of Kanab/Jacobs Lake area not very long ago, as in maybe less than a year. And that cause many, many of the roads/trails in that region of the state, to be CLOSED. And, in our recent travel from Hatch back to our home in Lake Havasu, those trails/forest service roads etc., were still closed. And that was about a month ago.

Again, I don't know where you're gonna be headed for both camping and riding. So, if you've already scouted the intended areas, either by calling, or seeing them in person or, whatever and have found out the coast is clear, so-to-speak, then disregard all of my post. Good luck and wish I could be there too.
Scott

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Maybe road and forest closures could be determined with a phone call to regional Forest Service office in Kanab.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Turns out Mt. Trumble Road out to Torroweep is more like 60 miles of dirt, must have been about 40 to the Grand Canyon Park Boundary where they had a sign, on a bit more to a ranger residence, then pretty much nothing else untill the edge. No guardrails, some is a bit overhung for countless hundreds of vertical feet so not the best place for the overly curious.

Good place to test one's sense of self preservation. I like to sit back a good three feet.

Will still be a bit hot a week from now, my October camp was somewhat underneath a big boulder for the afternoon shade and view of the canyon a hundred yards away.

...and the moonrise.

So while it would be a fairly far push to ride TWs from Kanab and a bit far to relocate the Toyhauler there. However if up for a unique adventure you two could maybe unload and ride in from Mt. Trumble Road turn off when you pull out of Kanab area. Look around for a bit, then decide if road condition and experience justify driving back in to just spend the final night or just load up again & push on to Coral Pink Sand Dunes or whatnot.
Mt.Trumble Road at the time was your typical Utah graded arterial like San Rafael, UT road to Buckskin Gulch and The Wedge...smooth and easy on the knees riding.

If I went I could scout it out on outbound leg and spend the night in Troglodyte Mode again,

then catch up with you folks via cell once in Kanab.

...I would just need to cancel some work and figure out what to do with my two dogs.
To be responsible or go play with the Admiral, Mrs. Admiral and the three dogs?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yay!! Super excited you were able ditch work and sweet talk Marisa into agreeing you could come out and play!!!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You know I would be there if I could. Hope you have a great time and Lorie, be one with the devil sand and one day you will enjoy it.

Reactions: Mrs. Admiral

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
I'll go visit it again, not everyday one can go to the edge of a 3,000 ft escarpment with a feeling more intimate and remote than most other Grand Canyon destinations, does not feel like a typical crowded park. With more time and research would like to look again for some ancient colorful rock art painting on nearby tribal land which with a reported distinctly aboriginal style hinting at another possible cross-pacific cultural pollination. The pictures I've seen look very Australian. A sacred place, fear of desecration by visitors keeps location private from looters and anthropologists.

Reactions: SanDue and Purple

·
Registered
530 Posts
Turns out Mt. Trumble Road out to Torroweep is more like 60 miles of dirt, must have been about 40 to the Grand Canyon Park Boundary where they had a sign, on a bit more to a ranger residence, then pretty much nothing else untill the edge. No guardrails, some is a bit overhung for countless hundreds of vertical feet so not the best place for the overly curious.

View attachment 208166

Good place to test one's sense of self preservation. I like to sit back a good three feet.
View attachment 208167

Will still be a bit hot a week from now, my October camp was somewhat underneath a big boulder for the afternoon shade and view of the canyon a hundred yards away.

View attachment 208168

...and the moonrise.
View attachment 208169

So while it would be a fairly far push to ride TWs from Kanab and a bit far to relocate the Toyhauler there. However if up for a unique adventure you two could maybe unload and ride in from Mt. Trumble Road turn off when you pull out of Kanab area. Look around for a bit, then decide if road condition and experience justify driving back in to just spend the final night or just load up again & push on to Coral Pink Sand Dunes or whatnot.
Mt.Trumble Road at the time was your typical Utah graded arterial like San Rafael, UT road to Buckskin Gulch and The Wedge...smooth and easy on the knees riding.

If I went I could scout it out on outbound leg and spend the night in Troglodyte Mode again,
View attachment 208170

then catch up with you folks via cell once in Kanab.

...I would just need to cancel some work and figure out what to do with my two dogs.
To be responsible or go play with the Admiral, Mrs. Admiral and the three dogs?
Great pictures Fred. Someday I will find that spot if God allows
And my T-dub runs true.....
Mike from NC

·
Registered
349 Posts
Post when you all figure out a campsite and what days you are riding where. If i can pull something off Tue Wed Th I will grab a motel in Kanab if you're close

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
Day 1 started out great.

Mayhem ensued later in the day around 60 miles. Oil dripping everywhere. Don’t want to end up in a roadside ditch. Chain got plenty of lube.

Mrs Admiral rode back to camp and retrieved the truck. Thankfully, I was able repair the leaky valve cover and rode back while Mrs Admiral followed.
Everyone tired from the ordeal. :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
At least your boot won't rust.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts