TW200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
I got to meet Fred The Dog the first night...A very interesting character

He greeted me by leading me to a rather nice sunset. Those clouds had sprinkled a bit on us the Torroweep run earlier.

I had flamed out at 151 miles into the ride, about 5 miles short of my haul vehicle. Fortunately I had the Rotopak otherwise I would have needed some form of alternate transportation.

Some transportation looked faster than others with bigger handlebars to hang on to.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
The variety of interesting landforms is impressive throughout southern Utah where wind, rain and the passage of time has eroded and carved deeply into the Colorado Plateau . No wonder there are so many national parks nearby.

We paused adjacent to the rim of the Grand Canyon at what may my favorite campsite. The campground was totally deserted, guess I wasn't the only one not able to apply & pre-pay months in advance for a Back Country Permit:(...used to be free & first come-first served. Hard to imagine that many seem poised to vote for a massive increase in government size, taxation, and regulation of existing freedoms when Washington can't even efficiently administrate a simple remote campground. Oh well, America still seems great to me!

Whether close or far the mix of land, sky and plants struggling for a rocky toe-hold on life I find pleasing. A nice place to just wander around.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
All worthwhile destinations in my mind...but then again I missed the sand-tastic time they had riding around Coral Pink Sand Dunes. Sand riding is not for everyone.
Being too lazy to hike Bryce Canyon Trails we instead rode atop some eroded fins outside the park. I chickened out when this fin got to be about 5 feet wide and rolled back to park here where a good 20 feet or so wide.... view to SE. Kris parked here seconds later, Lori then rode past me:

View to Turning around here is the view to the NW from the saddle. In Utah we riders have been told to call this "Exposure" since "Cliffs" somehow seems to scare the tourists.:)

1601342677717.png

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Fantastic Pics and Reports. Beautiful, just beautiful!

Marty

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Marty, if one of these days your vacation time gets you out west...

...we could show you some places with perhaps a bit more relief than back home.

...take some long meandering rides under the western skies.

...meet interesting people who will take you to dangerous places...or is it the other way around?:cool:

Naw, taking the road less traveled with the Admirals is always an adventure but rarely dangerous...as long as you park carefully.

I prefer to park in the middle of the road, but leave my light on to warn all the oncoming traffic ( actually this was the last day where we saw the only other dirt bike, a KTM).

Yes, it was a wonderfull last minute adventure to wander around the landforms of southern Utah.

Thanks for the invite!

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Alas, all good things come to an end so I wandered m way some 600+ miles back home. I took my favorite 90+ mile unpaved shortcut from Cove Fort,Utah to Great Basin, Nevada into ever increasing wildfire smoke.
1601742403683.png

Could hardly see Crystal Peak, the distinctive navigation landmark for early westward migration.
Route crosses the old Spanish Trail with this navigation landmark for earlier north-south travelers on eastern flanks of the Confusion Mountains. Even fewer people use the Spanish Trail these days, barely a discernable track now.

Some 60 miles in I came across the only other vehicle camped here with a view of Crystal Peak.

Years past similar vugs, or hollows, seen on the slope provided the only shade for man or beast to crawl into as I conducted geophysical surveys walking endless grid lines under the hot desert sun with my dogs as only companions.

Plans to overnight in one more National Park were scraped as the smoke seemed obnoxious as I approached Great Basin.

So I pushed on into the night along slightly heavier trafficked HWY 50 to overnight at some primitive hot springs with just wild burros as braying companions. A camera problem failed to catch a colorful sunrise reflected off the hot spring pool at dawn so no dramatic final photo. A good soak though!

...'twas a good trip where I got to meet another Fred.:cool:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Marty, if one of these days your vacation time gets you out west...
View attachment 208560
...we could show you some places with perhaps a bit more relief than back home.

View attachment 208561
...take some long meandering rides under the western skies.

View attachment 208562
...meet interesting people who will take you to dangerous places...or is it the other way around?:cool:

Naw, taking the road less traveled with the Admirals is always an adventure but rarely dangerous...as long as you park carefully.
View attachment 208564
View attachment 208563

I prefer to park in the middle of the road, but leave my light on to warn all the oncoming traffic ( actually this was the last day where we saw the only other dirt bike, a KTM).
View attachment 208565

Yes, it was a wonderfull last minute adventure to wander around the landforms of southern Utah.
View attachment 208566
Thanks for the invite!
Thanks Fred, I would love to get out that way again sometime.

When I made the trip from Montana to Florida on the KLX250 13 years ago, one of the highlights of the vacation was a 2 day sojourn I spent in Torrey, UT. A local with a Honda XR gave me a tour of the canyon lands and mountains on a Saturday and then again on Sunday. Some on here that ride BMW's may know him as he is a well known asset on the BMWSPORTTOURING Forum named Bob Palin, AKA "KILLER".

The younger of the two Freds sure is one happy and healthy looking pup. No doubt well taken care of by the forever young couple you have pictured. I think they have each found a keeper. It would not surprise me if they wound up married one day and grow old together with grand kids and still be a ridin' Tell them the secret is good beer, fine wine and occasional sip a shine! :)

Marty

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Memory card revealed a hot spring sunrise shot. This location has also been a base camp for following burro trails, exploring more hot springs and a network of mining prospect, mines & mine roads good for T-Dubbery.

Yes, the road less traveled can add zest to life. As the sign says "TRAVEL AT YOUR OWN RISK"

This one follows the old Pony Express Route then diverts to the south to old gold camps
and even older ichthyosaur fossil beds.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well I blew that one. Just noticed this event and would have enjoyed going back to Tuweep and the Grand Staircase area. So much to explore in both areas. Looks like you had a good time even without my bubbly pesonality. Hopefully you will again decide to explore in my stomping ground and I can join up with you. Don't forget the North Rim area as it too has a lot to see. I would be glad to function as a bit of a guide but I have not been to all the points there yet. Most but not all.
Mikey

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Deep Creek, Grand Staircase...good destinations all. Never a shortage of interesting places in the inter-mountain west!
Maybe we should meet for an educational ride into Cooter Canyon with its enormous collection of ancient fertility rite rock art. :giggle:

·
Super Moderator
14,343 Posts
Toroweap Overlook-Mount Trumbull School

Mrs. Admiral, myself, and Fred rode out to Toroweap Overlook above the Grand Canyon. Instead of bee-lining it straight back to camp we detoured and headed west to visit the historic Mt. Trumbull Schoolhouse before heading back to camp. All toll it was a long ride day totaling over 200 miles...but we had fun!:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
You mentioned the Bundy ranch at the end. Is that the same Bundy that had the standoff with the Feds?

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
That was a good day, we came from different directions yet met at the appointed guestimated time and place. I had begun the day somewhere around the Utah/Nevada border before venturing into the Arizona Strip.

Had but a few extra minutes to film these roadside ponies before The Admirals sailed over the horizon and off we all rode together.

Long ride, a few sprinkles and with a good sunset to cap off the day.

·
Super Moderator
14,343 Posts
You mentioned the Bundy ranch at the end. Is that the same Bundy that had the standoff with the Feds?
Yes, descendants. Cliven Bundy of the Nevada standoff notoriety, his Great Grandfather was one of the Mormon Pioneers who settled in the Mount Trumbull area. Mt. Trumbull was either at one time or unofficially called "Bundyville".
As an aside, one of Cliven Bundy's sons lives in Emmett Idaho not too far from where we live. He has his own standoff fame at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge a couple of years back and this year was arrested twice for disrupting the proceedings at Idaho's Statehouse. Plus, he was kicked off and banned from a local High Schools property for a similar disruption.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Forgot to line the three bikes up for a rear tire photo.
We all had different ATV tires causing me to joke that someone following our tracks must wonder what kind of trike they were following.

Can't remember which day or where this was taken...we're still fairly clean so that's a clue.:)

·
Super Moderator
14,343 Posts
Forgot to line the three bikes up for a rear tire photo.
We all had different ATV tires causing me to joke that someone following our tracks must wonder what kind of trike they were following.
View attachment 209604
Can't remember which day or where this was taken...we're still fairly clean so that's a clue.:)
Hope I don't spend all night awake trying to think of when and where and what day that picture was taken. I can't think of it either. :)

41 - 60 of 83 Posts