TW200 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
(y)Those two are usually almost done rehydrating by the time I can stop, get my helmet off and lossen my tail bag water battle restraints. Such practicality must come from their days astride real mules, not the TW mules. Seems better than the quick sip I can get from CamelBack bladders.

Me thinks photo was possibly from Day2 about where my spark plug failed me. Clothes are different in other pics. Certainly not Day3 or Day4 when we rode the Claron Formation of Cretaceous sediments both inside & outside Bryce Canyon National Park. By then I they were trying to keep me down wind of them when possible.:cool:

Those sure were some colorful aspen rides. Solving some technical difficulties will let me eventually cook up some videos , I'm about 4 trips behind.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
We sure got a good dose of the variety of nature's beauty along those countless miles of really fine riding in perfect weather.
Even the pronghorn antelope co-operated. Usually they take off at 40 mph when they see me wag the camera.

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
I like the water bottle "holsters" on the fuel tanks... what a great idea!
They are rather handy even though my camelback is more practical.

Reactions: SanDue

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
Forgot to line the three bikes up for a rear tire photo.
We all had different ATV tires causing me to joke that someone following our tracks must wonder what kind of trike they were following.
View attachment 209604
Can't remember which day or where this was taken...we're still fairly clean so that's a clue.:)
I remember now. It was on day two when we rode around Mt. Carmel Jct and it started to rain and we pulled under these tree's so we didn't get too wet. Glad it didn't rain much or it would've been a muddy mess.

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
Speaking of Mt. Carmel Junction...

Mt. Carmel Jct on TW200's
Decided to ride the Kanab, UT area one last day before we moved up near Bryce Canyon. Today Fred, Mrs. Admiral, and I rode some old 2-track around the Mt. Carmel Junction, UT area. Huge bonus, we found an abandoned ranch with lots of cool stuff to see. We rode in the back way but when we left out the front we saw the no trespassing signs. Oops! So if you go to find this, take the back way and claim ignorance. Or in my case, claim normal! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
Bryce Canyon NP on TW200's
We moved from the Kanab area to the Bryce Canyon area in the morning and a quick ride on the TW200's in the afternoon into Bryce Canyon NP. Much more scenic on a motorcycle than it is in a car or truck.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
That looks like a great road ride.

I wish I could get my wife to ride along with me. ...I think.? ;)

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Motorcycles did seem the preferred means to efficiently tour Bryce Canyon's roads, we weren't the only ones smiling on two wheels with bugs in our teeth. Bikes made it easy to safely enjoy the numerous pull-outs at scenic overlooks, plus while on the road not much of the view is blocked like in an automobile.

We saw some inviting trails down amongst in the Hoo-doos inside the park but the TWs weren't welcome. However the next two days outside the park were a different matter. Great riding for sure!

However goofy camera did manage to get some nice photos of Admiral's shoes.

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
That looks like a great road ride.

I wish I could get my wife to ride along with me. ...I think.? ;)
You could stress to your wife how easy it is to find up-close parking on a bike versus auto! Try to avoid telling her about the possibility of hitting big animals though!
Any national park is way better visiting on a motorcycle than inside of a 4 or more wheeled vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
Paunsaugunt Plateau on TW200's

Probably not a secret location but I sure the heck wasn't aware. Great riding just to the west of Bryce Canyon NP. What a fun ride day this turned out to be! :)

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
That sure was another fun day cruisin' the colorful aspens and dramatic landforms along the Park's western boundary, something on my Bucket List for many a year.
I felt fortunate to be able to juggle schedules to join you two for this "last minute" adventure.
Thanks for the memories
Where to next?... I usually have more ideas.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
...more ideas indeed!
How about an impromptu week next spring a bit north around Cathedral Valley, Capitol Reef, Burr Trail and my favorite free riding base camp at SwingArm City?

We can re-provision at Hollow Mountain.:cool:

Reactions: admiral

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
...more ideas indeed!
How about an impromptu week next spring a bit north around Cathedral Valley, Capitol Reef, Burr Trail and my favorite free riding base camp at SwingArm City?

We can re-provision at Hollow Mountain.:cool:
View attachment 209838
Are CV, Capital Reef, and Burr Trail close to the Swing Arm base camp?

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Fairly close, Swingarm City is about 6 miles east of Cainville, Utah. Loop into Cathedral Valley begins just outside Cainville making for about a 70 mile loop from Swingarm City. Capitol Reef begins around there and extends more to south and west. Check Utah map for the big picture, a relocation to enjoy and bring southern areas closer in might be wise. Tweaker once explained a nice primitive camp his big trailer could access outside Fruita, I'll see if I can re-locate info.
Swingarm's challenges can be a bit intense for our little bikes but there is still lots of easier play including safer slot canyons extending into the Mancos shale. One can actually ride north and sneak up on the southern end of San Rafael Swell riding areas on graded roads.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
I have camped at eastern base of this cliff, only afternoon shade in this tree-less terrain.

Our bikes wont make up to the rim like this guy but there are likely well over fifty other hill climbs to play on.

Our ATV tires can make it up some of them to get a nice view.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You know Fred i bet there's a lot of riding within 50 miles of Ely Nevada. Probably more than a week but might require moving camp a couple times. Might be better in June/July

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
Casto Canyon on TW200's
Had a couple of thoughts about Casto Canyon. One, Casto Canyon is awesome. Two, Casto Canyon is way too short... Casto Canyon Trail does connect to other trails to continue your journey but we loved the scenery of the canyon so we rode back the same way we came to double our pleasure. If you ride in the Bryce Canyon area, I highly recommend riding Casto Canyon. However, do be careful as there are hikers and other ATV riders. Enjoy! :)
Note: I originally misspelled Casto Canyon as Castro Canyon. A viewer noticed my mistake so I've corrected it except in the title in the video.

...and after this, we all went home. Great riding with you Fred! I'm glad you could join us!

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
So nice we rode it twice!:)

Thanks Kris for putting together another outstanding video that captures the experience nicely. Killer soundtrack too.
Well done!(y)(y)
We rode a bit more once we climbed out of the canyon so maybe there is another video still to come of this stuff .

I was not disappointed when Kris agreed that we didn't really need to make a loop out of our final ride and it would be OK to backtrack. Happy me 'cause I wanted to enjoy the Casto Canyon experience again, it was that special.
Admiral was so right when said this was The Dessert Ride.

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
So nice we rode it twice!:)

Thanks Kris for putting together another outstanding video that captures the experience nicely. Killer soundtrack too.
Well done!(y)(y)
We rode a bit more once we climbed out of the canyon so maybe there is another video still to come of this stuff .
View attachment 209925

I was not disappointed when Kris agreed that we didn't really need to make a loop out of our final ride and it would be OK to backtrack. Happy me 'cause I wanted to enjoy the Casto Canyon experience again, it was that special.
Admiral was so right when said this was The Dessert Ride.
Yeah, it didn't take much to convince me to go ride back through the canyon that's for sure. This trail was a nice way to end our riding trip.
The camera operator had a malfunction and only recorded just a few seconds of the ride out to the overlook. If I do and end of the year riding video I might include the footage in that but otherwise, there isn't enough footage for a stand-alone follow-on video.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts