TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow Lauren has graduated from her 50 cc Scooter to a Yamaha V-Star 250 and what a deal she got.
The PO Girl bought this 2015 in 2016 and put 1600 miles on it then had to leave Honolulu. She put it on Craigslist for $3500 and had a buyer. The person wound up not buying it at the last minute which jammed her up because she was leaving Honolulu the very next day. The PO took it to a Yamaha shop to sell and they offered her $2000 paying her after it sold. Lauren seen the add and just happened to call her while she was in the process of dealing with the shop. Lauren had the money in her savings and offered her the cash and is now a proud owner of a V-Star.
Lauren's taking the motorcycle safety course to get her endorsement this Thursday.

IMG_8011.JPG

IMG_8012.JPG

IMG_8013.PNG

Have any of you guys ever owned a V-Star?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Wow Lauren has graduated from her 50 cc Scooter to a Yamaha V-Star 250 and what a deal she got.
The PO Girl bought this 2015 in 2016 and put 1600 miles on it then had to leave Honolulu. She put it on Craigslist for $3500 and had a buyer. The person wound up not buying it at the last minute which jammed her up because she was leaving Honolulu the very next day. The PO took it to a Yamaha shop to sell and they offered her $2000 paying her after it sold. Lauren seen the add and just happened to call her while she was in the process of dealing with the shop. Lauren had the money in her savings and offered her the cash and is now a proud owner of a V-Star.
Lauren's taking the motorcycle safety course to get her endorsement this Thursday.

View attachment 113489

View attachment 113497

View attachment 113505

Have any of you guys ever owned a V-Star?
i had one last year, had to trade it in, for one reason. it was killing my back! loved the bike, it handled great and was fun to ride and it looked great. if it wasn't for the seat I would still have it. it was a little under powered for the highway and with all that chrome it was a lot of work to keep it sparkly. I would post a picture, but I give up trying to post pictures on this forum

·
Registered
928 Posts
The seats are the weak point of those small bikes. Mom had a 450 Rebel and had a local upholstery shop repad her seat to make it more comfortable.
But those little bikes are dependable and easy to drive; great beginner bikes. I'm sure she'll have a ton of fun on it!

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
My mother has a 250 Virago- which is exactly the same bike just before they before they changed the name. Despite having 50 (*53) more CCs, it feels much slower. I found it to be painfully slow when I rode it. No matter what speed you are at or where you are in the rev range you feel like you should be going faster. Maybe it's faster than the TW or maybe it's slower I don't know, but it certainly feels slow. Maybe because the TW is such a fun little bastard that I expect all little bikes to be fun when that's not the point of the Vstar, or maybe it's because I expect plenty of torque on a cruiser and a 250 doesn't have any [lotsa torque is the only positive on most cruisers- right?], but I think it has a distinct learner-bike-then-move-on-to-something-better feel to it.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Wow, that sounds a lot harsher on paper than it did in my head... uh, congratulations on the new purchase.
This site does offer an "edit" function just in case we post something that does not come off the way we intended. I have used it myself on MANY occasions ;)

Tom

·
Registered
637 Posts
Nice! From my understanding, Hawaii's speed limits are somewhat lower than the rest of the US: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/hawaii-speed-limits-laws-and-fines-by-valerie-mellema

So this should suit her very well there. Nimble, enough speed to do the job but not too much to get in trouble. Were money, storage considerations, and maintenance costs not a factor, I'd probably have a bike like that.

Only Vstar I ever had was an 1100 Custom. Nice bike, but HEAVY.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
This site does offer an "edit" function just in case we post something that does not come off the way we intended. I have used it myself on MANY occasions ;)

Tom
Meh... I meant every word I said, I just think it comes off more angrily when read than the intent as if heard. I have six vehicles with a combined total of 186 horsepower- believe me, I embrace the slow. But he asked and I gave an honest opinion, it's slow and feels it. It's fine as long as you know what you're getting into; just don't expect much.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! From my understanding, Hawaii's speed limits are somewhat lower than the rest of the US: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/hawaii-speed-limits-laws-and-fines-by-valerie-mellema

So this should suit her very well there. Nimble, enough speed to do the job but not too much to get in trouble. Were money, storage considerations, and maintenance costs not a factor, I'd probably have a bike like that.

Only Vstar I ever had was an 1100 Custom. Nice bike, but HEAVY.
The main bonus is she can still park it in the Scooter areas and now she can travel to the other side of the island. Scooters aren't allowed on the H-1 Interstate.
Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I think it's a nice looking bike for the style conscious. It is not my style preference, but many people love that style. Of course, I'm about four hundred years old, so what do you expect??? I have a sport tourer in my garage, which used to be my style, but now I'm into the street tracker/scrambler style. lol It should make for a great first bike, and if she doesn't need more speed/power, she should be able to ride it for years with great satisfaction. There, that is my opinion.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She has two years of college left at HPU so this little bike should serve her well. Thanks for your input.
I have raised my twin daughters to be adventurous and they keep taking it to the next level, from hunting, fishing, camping, scuba, skydiving, snowboarding, hiking, and surfing. Both of them are damn near straight A students. I couldn't be more proud but I do worry for there safety.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts