TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in there to find that my float bowl drain screw is stripped. I went ahead and removed the four float bowl screws and the bottom remains firmly fixed. Do I need to remove the drain screw to remove the bottom or is it just fused on for some reason? Should I spray some WD-40 and pry at the bottom with a flat edge? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
If all 4 screws are out, tap on the float bowl lightly with something like the plastic handle of a screwdriver.

Don't wail on it. Just keep tapping. You'll eventually see some daylight between the mating surfaces and with luck you may save the gasket if you resist the temptation to pull at the float bowl once it begins to loosen.

It'll come off. May take a few minutes, particularly if some dink used silicone or gasket sealer on it in the past.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I thought I'd check out the pilot screw and realized there is no screw there, just a silver disc with a small hole in it. (?)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,458 Posts

I searched at bike bandit and the schematics don't quite match the shape?

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2006-yamaha-trailway-ca-tw200vc/o/m145209#sch527491
Part # 26 is the gasket for the 2001 and newer TK carb.

If you find that the inside of your carb is gunked up badly, I would suggest a carb removal and thorough cleaning.

Pilot screw location with plug:

With plug removed:

When you install the new gasket, make sure the flat side with the ridge is facing up... or you will have a leak.

jb

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The flat washer+O-ring didn't come out when I removed the pilot screw and spring. I hope they are just stuck up there.

Everything looks pretty clean, just some gunk around the seal. Should I spray carb cleaner up in there?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The flat washer+O-ring didn't come out when I removed the pilot screw and spring. I hope they are just stuck up there.

Everything looks pretty clean, just some gunk around the seal. Should I spray carb cleaner up in there?
Use a flashlight to see if the washer and o-ring are there. You will need them or there will be an air leak.

Yes, use the spray carb cleaner.

Jb

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great pics jbfla, they really help. Any idea what that plug is for? Once you take it out, do you try to replace it or just leave the pilot screw exposed?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Use a flashlight to see if the washer and o-ring are there. You will need them or there will be an air leak.

Yes, use the spray carb cleaner.

Jb

I got the washer out but the o-ring is still stuck up in there. Can I spray carb cleaner in there without frying the o-ring?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I got the washer out but the o-ring is still stuck up in there. Can I spray carb cleaner in there without frying the o-ring?
Yes, a momentary spray of carb cleaner won't damage the 0-ring. It would still be a good idea to try and remove it, and perhaps replace it.

I have a bag full for the o-rings... but they are in NC and I won't be there for another month and a half.

jb

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Cool. Should I take the black cap off the top of the carb and spray while I'm at it?

You can, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary, unless you want to see how it all goes together.

If you do, don't spray the rubber diaphragm.

And if you remove the diaphragm, make sure the main fuel needle, the 2 springs, and needle holder are replaced correctly or the engine will not run right. It can be tricky getting them back together.

Jb

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I put it back together and it still runs rough, bogging down and cutting out and the throttle reels at high RPM. The spark plug was black so I must be running rich. I turned my pilot screw out 2 turns. Is there any way to make it run more lean without opening up the carb again?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts