TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Out of being lazy I found a way that I am happy with repairing the fork boot when they get a tear in them. My right fork boot seems to tear way more often than the left side. If my forks were leaking I'd just replace the boot. Since they are not I see no reason to make extra work.

Here is what you need to complete the task at hand: Electrical tape, blue shop towel, 2 cotton swabs with one swab removed from one end, OSI micro sealant, (Home depot or Lowes) stool (to get comfy) and a general cleaner I like simple green.

1 Torn TW fork boot: Use the cotton swab and cleaner to clean the area needing repair removing the dirt for a better repair.

Then take the sealant and the Cotton swab missing one end, dap the sealant on the cotton swab and dab a bit of it both internal and external sides of the torn areas. Then you will take 6 inches or so of electrical tape and wrap it around the fork boot above or below the repair. This will take the stress off the repair so the two torn sections will adhere to each other. You could also compress the forks slightly but really I don't have time to sit on the bike for 4-5 hours while the glue dries. The just glued section is circled in red. You will notice the tape in the next picture and of course I have another section I need to repair after this one dries. After the tape is applied I take a little more sealant and go around the repair both sides, then take a wet finger and smooth it out and let it dry.

Old repair (below) from last year or year before I don't remember. I have never had my repair fail yet. Not saying it cannot I just have not experienced it.

My bike is a 2009 and is garaged when not in use. If I left it outside exposed to the Sun I imagine the boots would be crumbling by now. Once I need to have a fork seal replaced is when I would put new boots on it. For now this repair has been working and I thought I'd share to give back a little something for all the wisdom and information I have gained from this site over the years.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Great idea, especially if money or spare time is at a premium.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Haven't tried that stuff but have had great great luck with Permatex Clear RTV Silicone. Sticks like forever permanent on ATV joint boots. Put some on a cracked Stihl Chainsaw intake boot 2 years ago. Still holding. New boot remains on my desk. Good stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts