TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My California CARB compliant gas cap insists on venting through the lock cylinder rather than through the charcoal canister. As a legislatively neutered politically correct thoroughly intimidated west coast liberal I am concerned that these vapors will possibly end life as we know it, melt the glaciers and at least lead to a second republican administration. What can I do?

Seriously the smelly staining leaks are annoying and occur not just when I fill the tank to, or above the “slosh line” near top of tank. Perhaps I can remove lock cylinder and sandwich a rubbery membrane between cylinder and gas cap main body to create a seal? I would rather not use a permanent sealant. My need to use the key has been dis-abled so this key slot access is not an issue.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
172 Posts
No ideas on the fix, but mine is doing the exact same thing and is not handicapped with any CA emissions compliant components

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Misc. observation: Overfilling a California tank seemingly can lead to saturating the charcoal canister with liquid gasoline which then creates vent issues leading to seemingly inexplicable engine stalling. Engine would die under sustained wide open throttle only to restart after 30 seconds or so once an alternate vapor leak restores atmospheric pressure to the tank ( i.e.through my key-hole). Problem disappeared once tank vent was disconnected from charcoal vapor recovery canister.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
I forgot to add that this is a Calif. bike sans smog stuff. The vent exit on the bottom of the tank has been blocked off with a bolt and o-ring and the cap even with the duct tape still vents the tank. I dread the day Calif. starts doing smog checks on motorcycles.

You might try getting a non Calif. gas cap and let the tank breathe.

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the Gorilla tape hold up? I may go slap some on for today’s ride as a test and deal with any gummy residue later.
At one time I had Gerry’s Mr.Gizmo watch Velcroed to the cap so I could see time at a glance, yet pull timepiece off and put in my pocket for a off-bike hike. Darn gas vapors dissolved the velcro adhesive and watch fell off somewhere in Utah.

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for once again another one of your helpful tips Tony.

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point Tony:p. Sure enough the tape stopped the leak but caused the bike to stall during sustained wide open throttle operation.
Ah ha, a venting issue had revealed itself! Yep, a quick inspection showed that mud thrown up from front tire had clogged the factory vent tube opening.
Funny how susceptible these constant velocity carbs are to venting deficiencies in both the carb and tank vents.
So I guess I still must thank elime for the tape trick revealed the need to check the normal vent route.
Thanks Tony, I benefited from the unanticipated consequences of your simple solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts