TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Learn from my mistake - re carrying spare gas tank

7K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  goldenhtr 
#1 ·
I have a Cycleracks cargo rack and had attached a Kolpin Gas Can bracket to it to carry about 1.5 extra gallons of gas on my 2006 T-Dub.

All had been fine till recently when I went to lift the tail end by the cargo rack and found things loose. Uh Oh.

Turns out, the weight of the gas can had stressed things too much while trail riding I think. The bracket which is welded to the rack and provides the rear mount points on the motorcycle had broken at the weld!

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Vehicle

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Automotive tire

So yeah, don't do like I did.

I hope to get it welded back up (presently camping, fixed it temporarily with holes drilled and using a bracket along with safety wire). I did crash the T-Dub while riding some gnarly ( to my limited skills) single track and the rack held up fine....Of course, the way I crashed it didn't really impact the cargo rack much, the front end took most of the impact....no damage except some more scratches on the mirrors I think.

See less See more
#3 ·
been there done that, mine looked exactly the same. joemama weld has held so far.

#4 ·
As far as I can see, there is a long lever from the fixing points to the end of the rack. Any metal, welded or not, will crack earlier or later when constantly being bent. In consequence, it makes sense to fix at least the heavier gear at the front of the rack and lighter things behind. I saw similar problems on car racks, fixed on the back of cars. When you go off road, the weight multiplies with the acclelerated movements, and 20kg can become a force of 100kg. Good luck and happy riding!

#5 ·
Good Ol Joemama :)

#6 ·
Same fuel mount caused same CycleRack fractures for me too.
Fix that weld then watch for what fails next.
Unfortunately carrying the fuel on the rearmost cantilevered mounting option creates the most destructive stresses.

#8 ·
I actually mounted my RotoPax to the top of my Ammo box/ top box, which sits on my cycleracks. However, I also placed a (prototype) dampener to help with deflection and sway. (got it from Wersonst.) It has worked flawlessly in the year I've had it installed, plus I think the weight of the whole shebang being evenly dispersed over the rack instead of bouncing along the back bar helps greatly too.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper
Mountainous landforms Mountain range Vehicle Mountain Motorcycle

#21 ·
I actually mounted my RotoPax to the top of my Ammo box/ top box, which sits on my cycleracks. However, I also placed a (prototype) dampener to help with deflection and sway. (got it from Wersonst.) It has worked flawlessly in the year I've had it installed, plus I think the weight of the whole shebang being evenly dispersed over the rack instead of bouncing along the back bar helps greatly too.
View attachment 196370 View attachment 196372
I'm using the same prototype and both have worked out very well with our setup.

Reactions: NVcowboy
#10 ·
After. It was this past May actually. Below was the Lions Club camp that burned down. That's why there's no lodge or cabins visible in the picture.

#11 · (Edited)
Id weld it up and add some extra bracing, and ride on. The support braces coming off the footpeg mounts SanDue posted pics of look like a good idea. Laying the gas container flat on the rack would also help.

Id try to mount the gas on the side of the rack more like a saddlebag or cargo pannier. It would deal with the cantilever effect and be more out of the way.

Reactions: SanDue
#12 ·
thank you all who commented for your feedback ....

the plan is to weld it up but figure out something else to carry the kolpin gas can, I've seen where some riders mount them like side panniers....but then would they impact during a fall and then you've gas all over the place if the tank breaks open?

mounting it on the top of the rack seems best, just have to figure out how to not lose the use of the top cargo bag. Perhaps rig it so the fuel can sits on the rack, and mount the saddle bags on top....some more thinking involved.

#13 ·
I dont know how they fare in a slide when side mounted, I wonder if a skid bar as part of the mount might alleviate that?

#18 ·
I know plumbstraight has his mounted up like that, only excluding him from the pictures because I did not ask permission to post picture of him... but here’s his rotopax setup! Lol, sorry About the angles, I just happened to catch a glimpse of them when I was taking pictures of his rad truck crane setup.

Tree Machine Technology Plant Wood

Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel

#15 ·
I would imagine if you're carrying that big of a fuel tank, maybe finding a way to mount it on the side would be better, and caause less stress overall do to how it'll carry the weight?

#17 ·
Many are the reason that a larger fuel tank makes way more sense than shelping fuel in tanks. Racks good for light stuff. Weight in improper place for the TW in off road scenes. Plus it’s a pain imho to deal with two tanks. I think the economics work too, big tank about the same cost or less tha rack and gas can.
Tonto

#19 ·
TWBigBlake; sorry that I wasn't clear. If I wasn't so lazy I would try to find the pic.

The set-up I was referring to had the two "cans" laying side by side - flat on the top of the cyclerack.

I have run the same set-up as Plumb; but when moving fast and hitting multiple bumps/ruts in quick succession; the plastic connector that holds the cross-strap broke allowing the panniers to swing out and up (which is how you remove them) if you don't notice that it has broken. If you're not flying along they should be fine.

At least you got part of "Plumb's Bum" in the shot. :)

The CR panniers can be mounted on their front rack also but are more prone to getting bent if you crash.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Mode of transport

#20 ·
Reactions: TW-Brian
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.