TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading some old threads I remembered why I lost interest in my Keihin pumper carb. -- mainly it has a broken pilot jet with a piece stuck in the carb. body.

Moving on I looked on the shelf and found a cheap Chy-knees sort of a Lectron clone carb. I had forgotten about.

I checked out the cheapy and it fits the TW200 intake manifold and an air filter I have that goes directly on the carb. looks like it will fit between the engine and the air box. The only thing to do is hook up a single line throttle cable and the fuel line and it should be ready to go. I hope this works well......

Lectron & clone.jpg

PB250070.JPG

·
Super Moderator
18,169 Posts
Tony, you've mentioned this carb a couple times now. I don't know why, but I feel there is great promise in that thing... haha seriously. It looks very interesting. I went to that site a couple times and read up on it too. I am very interested in your results. Thanks for checking this out, I've been curious for a long time about this one. 🧐 (y)

*and I don't even have a TW... 😊

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
417 Posts
Pretty sure that air filter will contact the spring. I tried many different ways and different pod filters and always had to use the stock air box boot to clear the spring.

·
Super Moderator
18,169 Posts
Pretty sure that air filter will contact the spring. I tried many different ways and different pod filters and always had to use the stock air box boot to clear the spring.
Tony's pretty good at fab and mod work, I'll bet you 5 cents he gets it on. ;)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
5 cents is not a lot; but did you check with Tony to see if he minds us betting on whether or not
" he gets it on ".

And who is going to be the one to go and "verify" this!!!

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sent away for a throttle cable. It will be here in a week or so.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The throttle cable just arrived. It must have been sent by sail boat from China. It is a new TW twin push/pull cable of which I plan to use only one cable -- i.e. I will destroy it as a twin cable setup. I have to grind down the thing on the end of the cable to a little nub so it will work with the carb. The other end should work with the stock TW twist grip.

Looking down the centers of the carbs the replacement carb's passageway (venturi) is much larger. This could be a cheap performance upgrade! (Stock on left.)

One picture with slide down and the other with slide up.
P1200069.JPG

P1200072.JPG

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a cheap from China throttle cable for a TW. With it I was able to use the TW twist grip but I had to modify the other end of one of the cables to work with the new carb. (The second cable in the two cable TW throttle cable system does nothing but sit there.) Naturally with two ends to choose from I chose the wrong one to modify and ended up doing it twice.

P2030069.JPG

For the other end of the cable I took a short piece of aluminum tubing and bent it to "sort of" hold the end of the cable in line with the carburetor.

P2030069 (2a).jpg

The boot from the air box aligns very nicely with the carburetor and I bet if it were new and soft and supple it could be stretched over the end intake flange and clamped down.

P2030069 (2b).jpg

Overall view.

P2030068 (2).JPG

It started right up but wouldn't idle below 2800 rpm. I think the cable is a touch to short and holding the slide thing open a little bit. I jumped on and rode down the street and back -- a very short ride and I can tell ya it will need some tuning to get it right. The original carb was working very well so I can put that back on if necessary and still be happy.

More reports to follow either until I get it right or give up and toss it. Tony

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems I have T2 running reasonably well with the new carburetor. It zips right up to 65 mph with zero problems and if I hold it wide open for a little while 75 mph is easily obtained. I bet in a tuck it would do 80.

Acceleration seems very brisk according to the butt accelerator-o-meter. I wish I had a bone stock TW to compare it to.

Low speed torque seems very good. No bogging or lack of power. If I snap the throttle open it will die as there is no accelerator pump but if I "roll on the throttle" the power comes on very nicely and strong.

The downside is the cable system is on the "Mickey Mouse" side of things. I don't have a high degree of confidence in it.

Getting it to idle seems to be getting better with use. Rev it up and shut the throttle and it takes its time slowing down. At first I couldn't get it below 1800 rpm and now it is down to 1300 to 1400. Maybe its the cable hanging up or maybe its something else.

I will take a longer ride and see if I keep it. I like the increase in performance. I really think I could beat a 225cc if it was using a stock carburetor.

The engine sounds very different, not so much like a TW.

It is fun have a little more power to play with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What about using an XT200 throttle cable? It is the single cable style and has the small end and bend tube on it already.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
BTW, what jets are you using in the Lectron carb?
Its not really a Lectron carb. Its kind of a clone. As for jets, the carb came with 3 sets of jets, one already installed which is the one I am using. I did lower the clip on the needle to get rid of a slight bog in the middle of the rpm range. There aren't any numbers on the jets so its a little hard telling which one is rich or which one is lean.

To me it sure seems like a substantial improvement in performance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What size clone Lectron carb did you get?
I found the link you posted with the source for that carb. Looks like they offer many sizes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The boot from the air box aligns very nicely with the carburetor and I bet if it were new and soft and supple it could be stretched over the end intake flange and clamped down.
Soak the boot in a 50/50 mix of Pine Sol and water over night, and it will be soft, pliable and supple when you take it out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Would you post the link? Guess I'm a little thick, or else I can't see the forest for the trees. Thanks.

Mike
Sure, the original post from elime (from a different thread), with the link is this one...

·
Registered
82 Posts
30mm carb. The intake port in the head is about 30 mm so it matches well.
Thank you. I ordered one. Like you said, for the price, it won't hurt.
BTW, I assume you used the TW intake boot? or did you have to use an XT225 intake boot, talking about engine side.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts