TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This isn't for the TW but the same ideas probably apply to the TW so I think it's okay to post here, hopefully... I bought a set of LED turn signals ($10 shipped for a set of four!) for my DR 200. If I hook two of them up (both front and rear, right-side signals, for example), they will both come on but do not flash. I think I need to order one of these (LED motorcycle turn signal flasher relay) to solve the problem:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/lf1-s-pin-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/193/841/#/tab/Overview

I will find the stock flasher on my bike tomorrow to see if it will be compatible (I assume it will...). Am I on the right track here? Thanks.

EDIT: Here is a link to the turn signals I bought, if anyone's interested (they work great!):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Universal-Motorcycle-Black-12-LED-Turn-Signal-Indicators-Blinker-Amber-Light-/171266866598?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e04cfda6&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Just go on eBay and find a motorcycle flasher for LED lights with the same plug that fits your bike harness. That is all I needed to make work on my TW200. If you still have issues, you might have to replace the dash light for the turn signal with an led bulb.
This.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks guys. I'll go ahead and order it then, if it looks compatible. With turn signals this cheap I really won't worry at all about busting them anymore.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so I installed all four turn signals. When I hit the switch (either left or right), all four of them come on at the same time and stay solid (they don't blink)... I assume this new flasher will still fix that problem, yes?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
From what I read if you have a single instrument light you need a flasher and a signal diode kit. Keep posting about your install and possible issues with them. I'm thinking of LED lights but don't want to hack my bike to do. I checked prices of ProCycle and Rocky Mountain about 250+ shipping from PC and 175 free shipping from RM but brake light has no mount. Checking EBay I noticed a lot are not tail/stop/license lights. I have one payment to collect from my intruder sale and thought I'd spend it on my TW not my CT mods. But it isn't enough for all LED's.
Please post what you need and do to get them working correctly.
Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Try removing your turn signal indicator bulb. (It's really easy to do on a TW200) Then try your turn signals again. If that causes your turn signals to just light up either left or right as operated by the turn switch, then you need to replace your turn signal indicator bulb with an LED version. (I had to do this.)

For a TW200, you can get the correct LED here;
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/bayonet-bulbs/ba9s-led-bulb-1-led/4/#/attributes/15

I don't know this will work for what ever motorcycle you are converting to LED turn signals, you never said.

This is the same place you are ordering your relay I believe.

Be sure to select the GREEN LED and the 12VDC/AC options for a TW200. Otherwise, what ever color you choose, but make sure you get the 12volt and not the 6volt or 120volt options. Since these LED's are pretty cheap, and shipping is going to cost you the same anyway, you might as well order a second green and a BLUE LED while you are at it and replace all your incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. (I did that as well)

Also, the correct LED relay for a TW200 can be found on eBay here;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pin-Motorcycles-LED-Light-Turn-Flasher-Relay-Signal-Rate-Control-Blinkrelais-/351339551279?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51cd781a2f&vxp=mtr

I think I had to reverse the pins in the housing for polarity to work right, but the pins extract easy enough to do that.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am getting a headache from this haha :) Thanks for the tips guys. It is for my DR200. Should be pretty much the same as a TW. I will pop the new flasher relay in when I get it (it's just wires, not a plug, so easy enough to switch them if one way doesn't work). If it still doesn't work right, I'll unplug or replace the signal indicator light as suggested. I will let you guys know what works/doesn't work after trying this stuff out.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Every auto parts store has the correct flasher. The stock flasher is nothing other than a self resetting circuit breaker. It gets hot, it shuts off the current. It cools down, it turns the current back on. LEDs do not draw enough electricity to get the flasher hot enough to shut the current off. Hence, the LEDs don't flash. The solution is an electronic flasher. Simply get one with the same number of connectors in the same pattern as stock and plug it in.

Either remove or unplug the stock indicator, or replace it with a single LED as the multiple LED options from superbrightled are glaring at night. All will be fine. No rewiring or extra parts needed.

I agree that replacing all the indicators with LEDs is a good idea. Again, use the single LED options. Use the brightest white LED option to illuminate the speedometer.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I ordered some cheap led turn signals, they arrived today with the resistor that I guess I don't need. I'm waiting on a cheap brake light and instrument bulb&flasher. A brighter headlight was my priority, but I had an idea for TAZ and hauling my TW. Having the stock turns & brake light just seemed to wide. If I like these el'cheapo's light I'll switch to better quality, and headlight. Funny side note- I was also looking for smaller mirrors, too !Then Werlock posted the Ken Sean's- I clicked buy.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks again to everyone who responded. It worked! I installed the flasher relay that I bought from superbrightleds (link in first post) in place of the stock flasher relay. At first I had the wires backward, which caused all four signals to light up at the same time but not blink. I switched the wires and all four would blink at the same time. Then I cut the wires for the turn signal indicator light in the "dash panel". Bingo, now all four turn signals work and blink at a normal rate, left or right. Everything works properly. If you wanted to still have an indicator light, I'm sure you could buy an LED indicator light, as has been suggested. I don't care enough to bother. I'm pretty stoked to have these signals working. Can't beat a total of $10 for a set of four working turn signals shipped to my door! The very small size (maybe two inches by one inch LxW) and great flexibility means they'll probably never even get broken again, even with the way I ride off road, throwing the bike upside-down off the sides of super steep hills, slamming it into big rocks, etc. Even if they do break, they are so cheap that replacement will be an absolute non-issue. I'm going to order another set of four to keep on hand as spares, and I'll be set. No more worrying about busted turn signals when riding off road!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try and snap a couple tomorrow. The only issue is that you can't see the rear signals flashing if you're closer than about a car length behind the bike. But whatever, it's legal (pretty sure...) so fuck it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Ok
I'm trying now to get mine working.
Flasher that's linked has the wrong terminals for TW so I've used some wire with correct ends for test. I've installed LED instrument bulbs. I have nice flash speed and bright flash for blinkers turned on. But I have a faint flash for the opposite side. Removing indicator bulb corrects this.
I bought diode kit and will try it next.
I bought the colored instrument bulbs- I did wonder why color was suggested. But I think white would be blinding.
Back to hardware for some different terminals.
Oh I also ordered a clear bulb for speedo- but just ordered the same as instrument cluster- WRONG. I didn't look it up just added it to my order. So now I'll have have to get correct LED bulb for speedo.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Rather than that link I might suggest this one: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/ba9s-led-bulb-4-led/6/54/ which is what I'm running for the signal and neutral indicators. Get the 32°, 12V, green. These are bright enough so that one can see the neutral light in sunlight, and so that one is somewhat less likely to leave the turn signal on. I've therefore not wanted to use one for the high beam indicator, as the brightness might be a distraction or impair one's night vision.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I didn't do any research on LEDs as I should have, I should have also double checked bulbs needed.
The packing slip is in pole barn, but I think they are 180* or something.
I tried rigging the diode into the wiring to test- not helping and trying it again - opposite I loose flash/lights. I'm done for today. I'll try searching ( cell phone) for help but might have to hit library for computer Monday.
I just went to pro cycles site they have correct for TW directions now on the site!
But I can't get my screen to hold it still and read it! Then it crashed I'll keep trying.
I did read TW is different than most cycles so the directions I got with my diode kit is wrong. I was following them but it was t me!

·
Super Moderator
17,639 Posts
Unfortunately the TW200 turn signal circuit is wired differently than most other motorcycles.
You can indeed make everything work you just need to do a little extra wiring. Cap off the wires that come from the motorcycle to the indicator bulb, you will no longer use those two wires.
You need to run a wire from +12volt side of left front turn signal bulb to one of the Red wires if the diode kit.
Then you need to run a wire from the +12volt side of the right front turn signal bulb to the other Red wire of the diode kit.
Then hook the White wire of the diode kit to one wire of the indicator bulb. Then hook the other wire of the indicator bulb to ground.

*from the procycle website.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Got it all working.
I have some suggestions for others.
LED flasher has to spade male connectors. Mine had leads and bullet connectors I cut them off and added female spades. It also seems like you hook up opposite. So try it the other way if it's not working.
Don't try to use scotch locks on thin wires. I spent to much on terminals and half failed to hold or broke the wire. Now mine were for 18-22 and 14-16, I don't know about others.
Use the diode kit if you have single indicator light. Again that's what I have on my 99 TW. So I'm not sure about other years. I used colored indicator bulbs the seem fine in my somewhat dark pole barn. I tested everything before adding terminals by just sticking stripped wire an inserting into center of bullet connector. This is all you need to do you don't need to spend money on the terminals like I did. I removed the wires from the connector block - to indicator(instrument/dash) I did not cut. I then "made" a terminal for one wire- again not need just hook it in. I hooked in the ground to the other wire,. I used heat shrink tape& liquid tape over connections. I had already added the lighted tie down points by adding terminals- again I should have just stripped and stuck in the bullet connection. Because all the ground female bullets had been used I ran a wire back to the negative post of battery for the tie down lights. I had used scotch locks but broke the wire. I started my rear light bracket to. Here's mine working
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427161494.235570.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427161526.418798.jpg

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Got it all working.
Nice job!
I've got a suggestion....put a backing plate of some kind behind your license plate and some flat or fender washers behind the plate mounting screws. You get a lot of vibrations back there with it just mounted at the top and lots of people have broken their license plates.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thanks
I had marked it out for full plate size, changed my mind then cut it off. I cut it so crooked i recut it , so it ended up smaller, than I wanted. It's fairly thick aluminum and I have a flat washer for bolts on plate front. Its not finished, I just stuck it on for pic. Im going to file on it some more before I mount. I have another piece of aluminum in case I need a do over️.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts