TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. Is there an easy way to identify where the different size left case cover bolts go? Most are the same size and it's easy to tell from the manual where they go but there are a few longer ones of different lengths that I want to make sure go back in the correct place. The pic in the manual doesn't get that detailed and the part numbers in the parts list don't indicate length. Unfortunately someone picked up my cover to look and dumped all the bolts on the ground.

Also, it looks like a few had some sealer on them. Are some supposed to have sealer on the threads? It's a 2010...

I know I could probably figure it out but I'd rather be absolutely sure..

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,732 Posts
Quick question. Is there an easy way to identify where the different size left case cover bolts go? Most are the same size and it's easy to tell from the manual where they go but there are a few longer ones of different lengths that I want to make sure go back in the correct place. The pic in the manual doesn't get that detailed and the part numbers in the parts list don't indicate length. Unfortunately someone picked up my cover to look and dumped all the bolts on the ground.

Also, it looks like a few had some sealer on them. Are some supposed to have sealer on the threads? It's a 2010...

I know I could probably figure it out but I'd rather be absolutely sure..

Thanks!
First off, welcome to the forum!! :D

Most folks around here use a piece of cardboard, and trace the outline of the cover on it and then put the bolts through the cardboard in the appropriate places. Someone here might know the different lengths and where they go, but I don't remember without yanking them out.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, glad to be here, been lurking over 5 years.. yea the cardboard... ;) I know, I take full responsibility. I was short of cardboard and needed it to put what I had under the head so I could pull the rocker shafts. I'm changing out the valves and putting a Kickstarter on it. I even said to myself, I should really go in the house and get some but no.... I figured I was smart enough not to dump them, not counting on company to do it for me :)

·
Super Moderator
19,732 Posts
5 years!!!! And it took that long for you to realize we didn't bite?, and that it was actually a pretty good forum?? ha ha

5 years though, so you heard of Qwerty for sure. We still got a guy kinda like that around here, but you never knew what was going to come out of Qwerty... the other guy, we've got all figured out.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL... :) I had nothing to add? Haha... I sure learned a lot though. and I appreciate it! Thanks all.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I trace the new gasket onto cardboard and poke each bolt through as I remove it. The other way is to use a permanent marker and number each bolt hole as it comes out going from left to right starting at the top, Put each bolt in the order by number and do not disturb them.

Since you did not follow any order I think now you have to cross reference each bolt by part number and hope the micro diagram and part numbers state the length.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
If you choose to use any sealer (or anything else for that matter) on the bolts before putting them back in – a word of caution ……

Be aware that over doing the sealer (or anything else) will create an air tight seal on the thread – then the air bubble on the end of the bolt is compressed as you screw it into place – and compressed – and compressed – until eventually that air pressure will result in “popping” the soft alloy behind it – to wit, your crank case …….

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
If you choose to use any sealer (or anything else for that matter) on the bolts before putting them back in – a word of caution ……

Be aware that over doing the sealer (or anything else) will create an air tight seal on the thread – then the air bubble on the end of the bolt is compressed as you screw it into place – and compressed – and compressed – until eventually that air pressure will result in “popping” the soft alloy behind it – to wit, your crank case …….
Excellent advice Purple. I use Never Seze on all the case bolts but I apply it with a small paint brush and just a very light coat to only the threads and never on the end. I see some guys goop it on or even just dip the bolt and that is a bad idea. The object is to lubricate only the threads to stop the reaction of corrosion between the dissimilar metals.

GaryL

Reactions: Purple

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The part list details I have don't list the size, just the part number. Thanks I was thinking the same.. Someone will yank a cover soon and maybe they will reply back.
As far as the sealer it looked more like a thread locking compound on a couple only.

·
Registered
21,682 Posts
Don't wait for an answer from us, determine proper bolt lengths yourself. Make yourself a little chart of (1)bolt location,(2) thread depth per each location, and (3)cover thickness per location. Add (2) + (3) = (4) Approximate maximum bolt length. Comparing lengths of the removed bolts (5) to (4) should give you answer you need for proper bolt re-instqllation.
i.e. (4) will tell you some bolts need to be long, some short.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Fred, thanks for replying back with excellent advise.

I did just that more or less, it was a bit difficult to get the actual thread depth on some though. Two of them could go either way and i'm a bit finicky so i figured i'd throw it out there. No big deal if nothing comes back by the time my parts come in. I'll just move ahead with where they seem to go as long as they don't bottom out.

Chalk this up to a nuisance thread if you want, it is practically. I know it seems lame but i'm weird about having things correct, just like some won't touch door knobs or shake hands LOL! That is until I give up... hahaha :)

·
Registered
21,682 Posts
Glad you figured everything out. Nothing wrong with seeking experience of others, occasionally we can offer something that you haven't already thought of. After posting I wondered if perhaps the thread lock compound you encountered was due to the previous owners getting bolt length confused.

Reactions: JerseyJeeper

·
Super Moderator
19,732 Posts
Very nice Rick. I love the people here that go out of their way to help others.
:hatsoff:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I want to add, that is a very valuable chart to be stickied here and saved for us all. Also, there is absolutely no need to ever use a thread locker on any of the case bolts, use a thread lubricant/protectant instead and use it sparingly.

Nice work Rick!

GaryL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts