TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the differences are for the left side handlebar switch control, from 87 to some of the late model TWs? Wire length, plug end, color code? The Hi/Lo switch on the 87 I bought is broken off even with the slideswitch slot and is NLA from mama Yama.. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
The only thing I know that’s different Between them is...
Old Style: You manually push the turn signal switch left and right to select and cancel the siginal
New Style: You manually push the selector left and right to select the siginal. Then push the button in to cancel.

I didn’t know this until I owned both a 1988 and a 2006

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Likely both styles are very similar since functions are identical. Switch group should be interchangeable if one is willing to make any needed changes to wiring length or plug style.

If replacement cost for Yamaha switch cluster seems steep there are numerous affordable aftermarket switch groups. And if this is unattractive another option is to disassemble and repair the existing switch. Anything is possible to a confident fabricator.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the wiring the same length and the plug ends the same for those year models? I found an NOS one on Fleabay, but it seems pretty high since I know what dealer cost was when the OP was still available, so I'm debating just buying a good used one and being done with...I'm not doing a points correct restoration or anything close to it and therefore don't mind the changes of the control switches. However I don't want to splice the control wiring. Just looking to get it street legal for state inspection/title purposes, and of course all systems have to be operation for the DMV to sign off on an out of state vehicle..

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
The problem I ran into with the old style controls is rust. It’s amazing though they look like hell but still function.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With an email like that .... parts shouldn't be an issue for you! :D

I'll dig it out tonight and send you a few pictures. It was working fine and on my bike up until a month ago when I decided to make it a trail only bike.
Thanks man...Unfortunately the control is NLA from Yamaha or I'd buy a new one. I'm good with good used parts that function. I have Paypal BTW..

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks man...Unfortunately the control is NLA from Yamaha or I'd buy a new one. I'm good with good used parts that function. I have Paypal BTW..
I dug out my 91 LH control pod last night and remembered the harness had been cut and spliced back together. I attempted to retrofit a newer 2005 XT225 control pod I had and wanted to use the 91 TW200 control pod harness connector to make it plug and play. Unfortunately it didn't work out as planned so I spliced the control pod back together. I also need to keep the H4 branch for my current LED headlight retrofit. Sorry to get your hopes up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The wiring is not plug and play however, you will have to solder your connector on, and the colors are different, just have to pay attention to what wires do what and swap accordingly. Hour project at most.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts