TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exploring on the TW has been a wonderful experience. However, my enthusiasm has been dampened a little by a broken fibula in 2018 and a second one in 2019, both from low speed crashes in which the front tire (Shinko 241) washed out and dropped the bike instantly on the right leg. First one was climbing some rocks and the second was on a slightly off-camber dirt trail with round pebbles. This second one spooked me--never saw it coming and have done countless mild corners like this over the years. I had good motocross boots on or I am sure it would have been much worse. I will never ride the 241 tire again--but that's another subject. My co-riders have switched theirs out, too.
I have looked without success for any kind of crash bar or other leg protection setup for the TW. Has anyone out there put one on or fabbed one for the TW? I would be very interested in what you might have been able to do to give the lower leg better protection.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
321 Posts
People seem to forget that even our cute little Tdubs can hurt ya if you give them a chance....

Reactions: troll and Ken

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have gad great experience with 241s, on my 2nd one now...Offroad riding can definitely supply some surprises! Have had to slam a foot down to stay up at slow riding on loose surface trails. There is only so much any tire can do concerning traction

·
Registered
321 Posts
Exploring on the TW has been a wonderful experience. However, my enthusiasm has been dampened a little by a broken fibula in 2018 and a second one in 2019, both from low speed crashes in which the front tire (Shinko 241) washed out and dropped the bike instantly on the right leg. First one was climbing some rocks and the second was on a slightly off-camber dirt trail with round pebbles. This second one spooked me--never saw it coming and have done countless mild corners like this over the years. I had good motocross boots on or I am sure it would have been much worse. I will never ride the 241 tire again--but that's another subject. My co-riders have switched theirs out, too.
I have looked without success for any kind of crash bar or other leg protection setup for the TW. Has anyone out there put one on or fabbed one for the TW? I would be very interested in what you might have been able to do to give the lower leg better protection.
Thanks in advance.
So what front tire are you going with
mike

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I don't like the 241 Stinko either. The Trail Wing was at least somewhat predictable and the Stinker is so heavy to steer and is a real suckwagon ! This is the 0nly tire that I have ever wanted to get rid of that was not worn out !

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Is this the tire you are referring to? It's worlds better than the factory stock tire. The trick is to really shift your weight over the front tire. When sitting, I scoot as far forward on the seat as I can; right up to the tank. Standing, I'm over the bars. Actually head is so far over, I can see the headlight. This allows me to even drift dirt and gravel corners at a relatively high speed. Very stable and very predictable. The one area I do not like with this tire is on pavement at any speed over 40mph. At that speed, if the bars are wobbled at all, the bike goes into a head shake and darn near a tank slapper. Like a gyro gone out of control. Try it some time; straight flat paved road at or above 40mph. Give the bars a couple twists, like you are dodging something in the road, like a squirrel. The weight of the tire causes the forks to flex and sets up a real bad wobble. Add a heavy duty tube and two bottles of fix-a-flat stuff and it's even worse.

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
I have gad great experience with 241s, on my 2nd one now...Offroad riding can definitely supply some surprises! Have had to slam a foot down to stay up at slow riding on loose surface trails. There is only so much any tire can do concerning traction
Don't be so hasty to blame the tire, SR241 in this case. As Donzo says in his last sentence, "there is only so much any tire can do concerning traction". I don't think any tire does that great in off-camber round pebbles.
I feel bad you got injured. I used to blame tires and everything else when I crashed when it was really me who sucked at riding. I'm not suggesting you suck at riding just poking fun at me. If you are trail riding, which by your comments it appears that you are, I would not recommend "crash bars" or other leg protection other than good boots and shin guards (perhaps knee braces).
If your forays onto trails are rare, then crash bars might be ok. I have seen someone on the forum with either crash bars or forward footpegs but it was many years ago. Finding that would be a needle in a haystack. You may have to fabricate your own.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
The only means I can see a trials tire washing out are:
1 - there is way too much pressure in it that the tire can not flex and grip the surface. They are designed to be run between 3 to 8 PSI.
2 - the front wheel is turned quickly in loose gravel.

I do not have the 241, but have a MT43 and have only had it miss in scenario 2.

As for road characteristic. Pump it up and use Ride-On to balance it. The MT43 has a squarer Profile than the 241 and I never found it an issue doing 55+ mph.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
177 Posts
Shinko 244
Ive got a 244 and i like it. It handles everything better than the stock trail wing and is alot more predictable. The only thing it isnt good on is mud but i think thats equal parts me hating riding through mud. I also like how the 244 looks but thats just personal preference and doesnt matter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts