TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Visiting family brought me to the La Grande, Oregon area back in late July. I spent nearly a week in this beautiful area that offers a multitude of riding opportunities. Please join me as I do my best to capture this adventure via the GoPro, both on and off road.

In video #1, Mt. Emily... A ride with the guys starts out the day with them on quads and me on the TW. It's mostly dusty, but we had fun and rocked a sweet jump.

I continue the day alone and explore the Mount Emily area including some amazing views of the Grande Ronde Valley, and Indian Rock Memorial. I explored the singletrack, doubletrack and roads inside of the Mount Emily Recreation Area (MERA), and I had a lot of fun.

The way back to camp had no alternatives but to ride some miles on I-84. Luckily, nobody ran over me. What a great time!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Basecamp

While in the La Grande area, I made basecamp at Hilgard Jct. State Park. This park is at the junction of I-84 and Highway 244, and has a number of of riverfront footage along the Grande Ronde River. Most of the park is "Day Use" with picnic areas and grass and river access. Tucked off to the south end is the camping area. There are 18 sites, which the call "primitive" as there are no hookups. There is a restroom facility, water spigots scattered about, and garbage cans. For $10/night, I thought it was well worth it.

Park website: Hilgard Junction State Park - Oregon State Parks and Recreation

I wrote a review on freecampsites.net page for the park: https://freecampsites.net/#!1448&query=sitedetails

Attachments

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
Nice state campground, I’ll have to remember it. At $10 per night with facilities I can see why it makes for a good base camp. Does not look primitive at all.

Stupid question: I know it would lessen clearance at rear of trailer but have folks been know to install air bags to temporarily raise rear of class B motorhomes improving the angle of departure? This would facilitate traversing rougher roads to access the perfect campsite.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a change of pace, I take the street bike out for a twisty mountain run while I'm in La Grande. My Honda CB500F fills many roles, and is a ton o' fun on roads like these. The views were magnificent.

The route was 195 miles. La Grande to Powder via Hwy 237, then west on the Anthony Lakes Hwy (NF-73) through the mountains, then NW through the green forested slopes on NF-52 with views of the John Day Wilderness to the town of Ukiah. I had read that the section of 395 from Ukiah south to the N. Fork of the John Day River was one of the best sections of motorcycling roads around, so of course I had to head down to the river and back. Now, eastbound along the Grande Ronde river on Hwy 244 back towards La Grande.

It was a great day and a great ride!

...and now, back to your regularly scheduled TW programming.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
While in the La Grande area, I made basecamp at Hilgard Jct. State Park. This park is at the junction of I-84 and Highway 244, and has a number of of riverfront footage along the Grande Ronde River. Most of the park is "Day Use" with picnic areas and grass and river access. Tucked off to the south end is the camping area. There are 18 sites, which the call "primitive" as there are no hookups. There is a restroom facility, water spigots scattered about, and garbage cans. For $10/night, I thought it was well worth it.

Park website: Hilgard Junction State Park - Oregon State Parks and Recreation

I wrote a review on freecampsites.net page for the park: https://freecampsites.net/#!1448&query=sitedetails
Delivered many of those BT Cruisers back in the day, when after retirement, I delivered them and other Gulfstream RVs around the country...easy to handle and got good MPG compared to most units...

BTCrusier.jpg

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beautiful day! Sure wasn't like that over here... :mad:

:D
Yeah, I should've specified that this was back in late July. I'm just way behind on my video editing. I've updated the original post. Thanks for checking it out LT.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NE Oregon, Idaho and SE Washington are all loaded with great rides. In my quad days I camped and rode all over that area, and I especially like the Winom-Frazier area outside of La Grande. I have also run the big road bike and camped all around that area as well... Just fantastic.
You betcha! Stay tuned...in my upcoming video I'm back on the TW in Winom-Frazier. Thanks for checking it out!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Delivered many of those BT Cruisers back in the day, when after retirement, I delivered them and other Gulfstream RVs around the country...easy to handle and got good MPG compared to most units...

View attachment 139425
Hi Hoot! Yeah, I'm really loving this little BTouring Cruiser. It's a little 22 ft., and even pulling the trailer I've been avg. about 11 mpg. Not bad considering all of the mountains and hills I have to go over around here to get anywhere. It's the same mpg I was getting with my truck pulling the trailer.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Larry, your set up looks a lot more comfy than sleeping in the back of the pick up! was the state campground bad for truck noise?
Greg, I'll tell you, it is so much nicer than sleeping in the back of my truck! That served me well for many years, but Moab motivated me to make a change. In 2015, I took notice of Ron in Boise's (R.I.P.) small motorhome, and I thought, "Man, that is the ticket." I've been "sort of" looking for a several years weighing the options... truck camper, toy hauler, conversion van, motorhome. In 2016, I was lying in bed in the truck, freezing my ass off in Moab in March. So, just before Moab 2017 I picked up this 22 ft. class c. It's great! Refrigerator, TV, kitchen, bathroom, hot water, and FURNACE. :D

p.s. The freeway noise was there, but I always slept through the night. So, I didn't think it was that bad. There are many forest service campgrounds in the area too, that would make great choices to stay if wanting to go more primitive, but I was going to town a lot to see family, so I wanted to be on the asphalt and near the freeway.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanksgiving and video #3 in the La Grande, Oregon series

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for my family and friends, and that includes you fine folks. I've built some friendships here and on the group rides like Moab, the North Idaho Adventure, and the NorCal Invasion of Washington that I would not have if it weren't for this little mule of a bike called a TW200. So, I'm thankful for it and all that I have that lets me explore and have adventures in amazing and beautiful settings. Let us not forget too, to whom were the pilgrims thanking during that first thanksgiving? The story of that first thanksgiving has evolved into a wonderful tale, but those people made an unthinkable decision to uproot their lives to come and try to live in the new world. So so many perished on the boats, and so many didn't make it those first seasons, but those that were still alive, these people that risked everything to give it a go here to escape religious persecution, even facing tremendous hardship, gathered to thank GOD.

Now, onto some TW stuff! After noticing these trails crossing NF-52 on my Honda trip, I just HAD to research and ride some of the trails in this area, and I'm glad I did.

From the Frazier Campground/Trailhead, I went on Butcher Knife Trail to Line Creek Trail. At the jct., I decided to try my luck on the Roundaway motorcycle trail. That was probably a mistake since I was alone. You can see the fun I had on those steep switchbacks in the video.

Video #3 Winom-Frazier OHV

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Larry, Thanks for the morning laugh. Been in those situations many times, but for some reason just do not want to turn back.
An ATV tire would have provided better traction on the loose rubble.
Can't wait for part 2.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great videos, pics, and write up Larry. Love the area, the blues from s.e.wa down thru mid oregon, are my favorite. Nice open terrain, nice summer temps, etc, etc.
We have stopped over at that campground. Beautiful spot. Not needing good access, we camped further off the interstate, to be away from the road noise.
And love your class b. they were and still are high on my list. I just need to add the toy hauling utility trailer now.
With my truck/camper/front bike rack setup, Iam only getting 10-11 mpg

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for my family and friends, and that includes you fine folks. I've built some friendships here and on the group rides like Moab, the North Idaho Adventure, and the NorCal Invasion of Washington that I would not have if it weren't for this little mule of a bike called a TW200. So, I'm thankful for it and all that I have that lets me explore and have adventures in amazing and beautiful settings. Let us not forget too, to whom were the pilgrims thanking during that first thanksgiving? The story of that first thanksgiving has evolved into a wonderful tale, but those people made an unthinkable decision to uproot their lives to come and try to live in the new world. So so many perished on the boats, and so many didn't make it those first seasons, but those that were still alive, these people that risked everything to give it a go here to escape religious persecution, even facing tremendous hardship, gathered to thank GOD.

Now, onto some TW stuff! After noticing these trails crossing NF-52 on my Honda trip, I just HAD to research and ride some of the trails in this area, and I'm glad I did.

From the Frazier Campground/Trailhead, I went on Butcher Knife Trail to Line Creek Trail. At the jct., I decided to try my luck on the Roundaway motorcycle trail. That was probably a mistake since I was alone. You can see the fun I had on those steep switchbacks in the video.

Video #3 Winom-Frazier OHV

When it looks that steep in the video, you know it was a lot worse in person. Good job making it out!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey All,
If there's any interest, I could spearhead up a get together in this area. Late May, early June is the prettiest, (with the most ground squirrels also ;).
Or end of July, 1st of Aug also works for me. Guess this should be in a new thread? Never done that, always up for learning something new, except when it comes to computers :(
Guess could also combine with a Wa. State, or N.W. get together...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts