TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mike (evan) sold me a salvaged swingarm to extend mine, but will it make my TW do this?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Mike (evan) sold me a salvaged swingarm to extend mine, but will it make my TW do this?
It sure as heck won't, Fred, lol. Why? A TW will never have the power and drive to be catching big air up a steep hill like that. Also those swingarms (on the machines in your video) are VERY long, significantly extended. IIRC the TW swingarm extensions have been between about two and six inches. If I were doing an extension, I'd go for 2 or 3 inches. It will affect handling a bit but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it will make your bike unsafe (although above 3 inches, MAYBE 4, is pushing it IMO). The advantage of an extension, of course, is an improvement in the ability to keep the front wheel down when doing very steep hill climbs. That's the theory anyway... I think the TW especially can benefit from this modification since it has a short wheelbase from the factory and that combined with the jumbo back tire can certainly lift the front end pretty frantically on steep hills! Bitchin video by the way. I'm always entertained by these...okay wow...just killed another HUGE spider on my computer bench. Last month it was a Black Widow that dangled down from my shirt, this time it was some other big brown spider, about the same size. I glanced down to my right as I was typing and it was sitting 6 inches from my leg. Ugh! I'm just glad when I get them, getting really tired of them in my room. ANYWAY, I was saying, I'm always entertained by these insane, ridiculously wild hill climbs. Dirt bikes, buggies, sand rails, whatever, they're all awesome toys!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
No, extending the swing arm will not cause YOUR TW to do that. On the other hand, I did extend the swing arm on Tdub2 to PREVENT that sort of thing from happening. If you really want to know I'll be happy to provide the physics of hill climbs and why those long swing arms tend to drop an overspun rear wheel like it was made of lead but I could never understand it for all those whose eyes would cross and tongues fall out.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was in silly mood when I posted, just wanted to share awesome hill climb wipe-out video. The title and wording were just a hook to interest you while I pulled your leg.:p You guys should know by now that I am a terrible tease. Wow
KJ, watch out for those spiders! I would have jumped a foot in air. This one's for you since you worked hard giving me a good answer, thanks. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
You know Fred, now that I think about it, that makes sense. I should have realized that, since I know you do know your stuff when it comes to motorcycles and the automotive world!

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I really am no authority, just an enthusiast. I learn more from you guys every day than I'll ever remember or plagiarize. And speaking of plagerism here is a video lifted from Utube on how to keep your rig clean while hill climbing.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a fan of a healthy V-8 bouncing off the rev limiter. Those Icelandic hill climbers break some mighty fine rigs, almost painful to watch but delicious to hear.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
man! how can anybody afford to trash gear like that? That is some serious hill climbing...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts