TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the project list keeps growing but this should be about it. I also decided to go with a JNS Headlight, however that is on backorder until the 23rd or so.
I’m going to have the tire put on by the dealer and while she’s there get the valves checked (just because I feel more comfortable with them doing it than me!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
Someone got some nice stuff!
If it were me half the fun would be doing the work. Lots of info on doing all that. None of it is very difficult. I have confidence that if you have even a small amount of mechanical ability you could complete all that work yourself. That said, I understand not everyone enjoys doing these things. So if the dealer is your rout of choice that's cool too.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I have my dealer mount and balance tires just because it's dirty and not so easy with tire irons compared to a machine. I would NEVER let a dealer adjust my valves unless I knew the mechanic personally. Checking them is so easy, you don't even have to remove the gas tank. Takes about 10 minutes. I would let a dealer check the clearance, write it down, and show it to me. I'd have to make a separate decision about letting him adjust them, as above.

Now, on the BMW checking and setting valve clearance is a MUCH more complex job and I do let my dealer do that, as long as a certified BMW mechanic does the work. My Boise dealer doesn't have any mechanics that are not certified by BMW, so I'm in good hands. In a big city like SLC, you are probably in good hands too......I hope. ;)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I just bought a 98 parts bike and the wheels are rolling lol. First thing I did was change the oil and was amazed the filter had no junk on it :). Checked for spart and it was good so hooked up to my test tank but no fire so I ran it on propane and it sounds good. Took the carb off and the jets were totally plugged. Had to use a torch tip cleaner on the pilot jet and the ultrasonic took care of the rest. Nice spare engine with kicker whoohoo! Needed a new rim for my 99 so cha-ching. That got me thinking it will leave me with an extra hub and swing arm... hmm ATV tire? Went on Fortnine and found this https://fortnine.ca/en/ams-radial-pro-front-rear-tire 54% off, DOT approved and I like the tread pattern. Not sure about it being a radial though. Has anyone ever run this tire or another radial ATV tire? I remember my brother putting bias ply snow tires on the back of his car with radials up front and you could not even drive it on the highway.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
...Now, on the BMW checking and setting valve clearance is a MUCH more complex job...
Aw, come on. The R's are super simple to work on. The cylinder head is right out there in the open for you to get to. Possibly easier than the TW. Their inline engines require a few things to be removed [especially the K's] but the boxers are fairly easy.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just bought a 98 parts bike and the wheels are rolling lol. First thing I did was change the oil and was amazed the filter had no junk on it :). Checked for spart and it was good so hooked up to my test tank but no fire so I ran it on propane and it sounds good. Took the carb off and the jets were totally plugged. Had to use a torch tip cleaner on the pilot jet and the ultrasonic took care of the rest. Nice spare engine with kicker whoohoo! Needed a new rim for my 99 so cha-ching. That got me thinking it will leave me with an extra hub and swing arm... hmm ATV tire? Went on Fortnine and found this https://fortnine.ca/en/ams-radial-pro-front-rear-tire 54% off, DOT approved and I like the tread pattern. Not sure about it being a radial though. Has anyone ever run this tire or another radial ATV tire? I remember my brother putting bias ply snow tires on the back of his car with radials up front and you could not even drive it on the highway.
That sounds like a pretty good find, for a "parts bike!"

Can you explain how you ran it on propane? :dontknow:

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Peterb: I run a radial rear ATV tire (TerraCross) with a bias ply front tire (Shinko244) with no noticeable handling concerns. The proposed 9 inch wide AMS TW458 might be a bit close to the swingarm but shaving sidewall lugs is one of the jobs a belt sander is good at.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
"Can you explain how you ran it on propane? :dontknow:"

I just open the valve of my propane torch and stick it in the air box. I have even used this to run vehicles into my garage that have a fuel problem. I have a spare fuel injected engine for my FZ6 on a stand that I also run on propane.

"Peterb: I run a radial rear ATV tire (TerraCross) with a bias ply front tire (Shinko244) with no noticeable handling concerns. The proposed 9 inch wide AMS TW458 might be a bit close to the swingarm but shaving sidewall lugs is one of the jobs a belt sander is good at."

Fred I never even realized it was a TW458 .... could that be the "correct" TW200 atv tire?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
When I looked at the tire listings I just assumed 14" but going to a trailer wheel I will be able to use a 12" wheel so 25x8 sounds much better to me..oh and its only $94

OK I have a couple questions: 1 Are all the atv tires tubeless? 2. Why does everyone use a trailer rim as opposed to an atv rim?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts