TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
23,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dates? Camp or lodging plans? Who plans to come?

Mrs. Aadmiral indicated April 12 probable arrival for The Admirals as well as Ejfranz and wife.
Simbaboy and his group May 17 through May 20th.
I may catch some of the full moon on the roads less crowded west of Green River before showing up Moab, dates to be determined.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
We need to be home from our trip south by March 29 as Linda has Theatre tickets for the 30th.

I have not yet committed to this year’s Moab. My son has expressed interest, but needs to get a new Passport.

Has any one found a new free camping spot?

I don’t mind spending the $15/night to stay at Utahraptor State park, but would prefer to put those funds towards fluids for my vehicles and myself. My truck is thirsty and I am also after a long day in the Saddle.

· Registered
23,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without anything formal organization feel free to encourage and plan a September Moab ride to drum up enthusiasm. We are all free agents, no Trail Bosses, T-shirts, attendance fees nor brochures at these Moab gatherings. If you want company in September get folks excited about it here or in a new thread. We had both spring and fall rides last year. Both are good times to avoid either summer's heat and monsoonal rains as well as winter's cold and snows.
For some this can be the first ride of the new year which may account for spring's historic popularity. I typically have done Moab in the springtime since September and later feature better riding out west where my mountains are usually still snow bound in April.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
I'm hoping diesel prices drop before then.
I have not looked on GasBuddy yet for my trip south, but diesel prices have been dropping here in the Fraser valley. About $0.20/L cheaper here than in the interior.

· Registered
23,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talking US dollars per liter or Canadian dollars per liter? At .75 US per 1.00Canadian your fuel in Canadian dollars is 33% more expensive than if stated in US dollars, or stated another way that 0.20 in Canadian equates to 15 cents/liter US.:) So with diesel hovering around $5 US today in Moab it equates to $6.66 Canadian per gallon, or 1.76Cnadian/liter. Ouch, your Canadian dollars don't go far down here.

· Registered
23,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyways most years we start this discussion much earlier trying to propose dates that satisfy as many as possible, giving folks with possible schedule conflicts chance to massage things so as to enjoy a group gathering.
My post #4 wasn't very clear about this, nor polite to Motor7. Sorry. However idea is to toss out some dates that you like, or embrace the dates proposed by others. Same for camp or lodging locations. Same for the eve , or morning of each day selecting ride destinations. Traditionally we break up into smaller groups interesteed in differing destinations and ride difficulty.

· Super Moderator
14,350 Posts
Dates? Camp or lodging plans? Who plans to come?

Mrs. Aadmiral indicated April 12 probable arrival for The Admirals as well as Ejfranz and wife.
Simbaboy and his group May 17 through May 20th.
I may catch some of the full moon on the roads less crowded west of Green River before showing up Moab, dates to be determined.
We had a pre-planned ride in Moab scheduled with 2-3 of my sons starting around 12 April as noted. We had not necessarily intended this to be the main Moab dates but anyone is welcome to join us. Folks of course can set their own dates as they wish.
Our intention this year is to camp south of Moab in the general area of Behind the Rocks but this is not set in stone yet. We want to ride and see areas of Moab that we haven't ridden in the past or very little. Something ridden by many before but we do plan to ride the White Rim Trail on one of the days with our sons along with some of the other trails in the south.
We aren't against the Utah Raptor State Park area (formerly known to us as Willow Springs and Dalton Wells) but we've camped and ridden here numerous times before and want to try different areas. The $15 fee per day isn't horrible but we are self-contained and get absolutely nothing out of it except the dumpster and for $15 I can find free places.
One thing we noticed in the Willow Springs area in October was there were fewer people camping during the week than used to be. I'm guessing the $15 per day fee has something to do with this. However, it filled up and was crowded again by the weekend. By the number of "midnight campers" which we woke up to in the morning, we also think it's a possibility a lot of people are coming in late at night and leaving early in the morning to avoid paying (or possibly unaware of a fee) so there was nightly transient traffic. One tent camping couple parked right in front of our truck/camper and we wouldn't have been able to leave if needed, they were that close to the truck. Disrespectful by this couple to say the least. Others would just crowd into any bare spot regardless of how close they were to any established camp. Similar to the past. Dalton Wells was nearly empty though.
The place up by Dubinky Well road Bodi mentioned is a possible free alternative as is the Klondike Bluff area but we saw a lot more campers in those areas in October than we have in the past. Again, probably people seeking free camping not available in Willow Springs Dalton Wells area anymore.
That's not to say the area we want to go to won't have more people than in the past, it's just we want to ride different areas of Moab.

· Super Moderator
14,350 Posts
P.S. Archview campground near Willow Springs has changed names and is no longer called Archview as we knew it. Without looking it up I can't recall the new name. Just something to be aware of if you are considering this campground in the future.

· Administrator
7,018 Posts
This thread is now a sticky - it seems to include reference to other threads and should serve as a focus of interest for anyone watching

Any sticky is never the complete picture - search "tw200forum.com moab 2023" in google (your search engine may differ) for the whole picture

For the sake of sanity, I would suggest that this thread is the "place to go to" for Moab 2023, but feel free to post "satellite threads" as the need arises - one size never fits all, but as a starting place, this will do it

If you feel there's a thread that should be included here, simply reference it in this thread, and we're good to go .......

· Registered
1999 TW-200
336 Posts
The $15 fee per day isn't horrible but we are self-contained and get absolutely nothing out of it except the dumpster and for $15 I can find free places.
One thing we noticed in the Willow Springs area in October was there were fewer people camping during the week than used to be. I'm guessing the $15 per day fee has something to do with this. However, it filled up and was crowded again by the weekend. By the number of "midnight campers" which we woke up to in the morning, we also think it's a possibility a lot of people are coming in late at night and leaving early in the morning to avoid paying (or possibly unaware of a fee) so there was nightly transient traffic. One tent camping couple parked right in front of our truck/camper and we wouldn't have been able to leave if needed, they were that close to the truck. Disrespectful by this couple to say the least. Others would just crowd into any bare spot regardless of how close they were to any established camp. Similar to the past.
Ugh, that does not sound fun at all, thanks for the warning!

As far as September goes, I can't even commit right now do to family health issues in Manitoba(might have to drop everything and go north at any time this year).

My two trips to Moab were both in Sept and I camped in the BLM campgrounds along the Colorado. They were full on weekends, but spots were available during the week. This was all pre-covid, so that scenario might have changed a lot. I have not tried the free camping spots yet, but also am self-contained.

· Registered
23,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only reason I endure the congestion of Moab group camp areas is to ride with and enjoy the company of you fellow TW folks, not for the company of disrespectful strangers. The crowding that drove the 2019 (?) gathering away from Moab and into the more empty San Rafael Swell as an alternative unfortunately seems to have gotten worse. Too bad. Perhaps the Admirals' idea of change of base camp location might change the dynamic, either that or a change in timing.

· Registered
22 BMW G310GS, 2018 Van Van,
969 Posts
As an outsider, it reads like it’s time to ”think outside the box”. Find a spot a little further from crowds, rather than pay to be in the midst, stand in lines etc. Moab is awesome but so Death Valley, Valley of Fire etc. Wyoming? East Oregon. Many like motor bikes for the freedom and escape from the masses. Off road being the fastest growing segment of recreation none of the popular places will get less use. And the majority of the use is going to be families in SxS units, willing to spend more money than you and more tolerant of crowding.
Best hope is find a spot they can’t go….Death Valley is one. The Death Valley Noobs Rally would an excellent example how this could be done. Rent the whole campground. For now, being street legal can save you from the SxS invasion.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts