TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
203 Posts
As an outsider, it reads like it’s time to ”think outside the box”. Find a spot a little further from crowds, rather than pay to be in the midst, stand in lines etc. Moab is awesome but so Death Valley, Valley of Fire etc. Wyoming? East Oregon. Many like motor bikes for the freedom and escape from the masses. Off road being the fastest growing segment of recreation none of the popular places will get less use. And the majority of the use is going to be families in SxS units, willing to spend more money than you and more tolerant of crowding.
Best hope is find a spot they can’t go….Death Valley is one. The Death Valley Noobs Rally would an excellent example how this could be done. Rent the whole campground. For now, being street legal can save you from the SxS invasion.
This ^ I started going to Moab with my group of friends in '07. I went just about every year until '15 when we got tired of dealing with congested trails, new closures and a town which had (at the time) was in the process of relocating it's radioactive landfill so that it could expand further North.

We started exploring other areas in Utah and have found much less-crowded trails and new things to see. We still do a Moab trip every couple of years (I think this Fall we'll be there for at least a couple of days since my GF has never seen the place and wants to).

FWIW I used to go in the Spring, then we moved it to the Fall and have found the weather is generally more reliable in the Fall. My early trips to Moab were all the second week in May and each year was a new experience with weather; one year was high 90's, the next year cold and rainy.

· Registered
2022 TW Honey Badger (Dori123's bike) 2014 TW, and a 1994 TW Custom Scrambler
58 Posts
@dori123 and I would love to join again this year! We've got a kid on spring break the first week of April that will make that week hard for us, but if it ends up being that week, we should be able to catch the early birds or late stragglers on days before or after...

· Registered
305 Posts
@dori123 and I would love to join again this year! We've got a kid on spring break the first week of April that will make that week hard for us, but if it ends up being that week, we should be able to catch the early birds or late stragglers on days before or after...
Hope to be able to meet up and camp with you again this year.

· Registered
23,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Now contemplating boondocking south of town to ride Behind The Rocks and Kane Creek areas beginning around April 12th. Likely not a full week as planning some smooth cruising around Factory Butte, Cathedral Valley as well as crazy camp-n-ride free riding again here at Swing Arm City.
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Tower Natural landscape

So many good diversions from Moab's challenging slickrock! I just want to see and ride a bit more of softer terrain's variety.
Cloud Sky Bedrock Wood Formation

Attachments

· Registered
23,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I remember you recommending Chimney Rock outside Woodside years ago. Certainly endless singletracks of varying difficulties but a little shy of the dramatic scenery and interesting landforms that add value to the rides I prefer. Probably would not feel comfortable to ride there solo. Certainly convenient for those who flow in from the north but I typically approach from the west. Good tip though, thanks.

· Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Street legal plated dual sport bikes don't need to take the new 2023 required Utah OHV test just FYI...
I do not think that is correct. Anyone driving anything off road needs to take the test and get the certificate. Street legal, plated, OHV sticker-only, doesn't matter.
If I'm wrong, please show the language that refutes.

· Premium Member
362 Posts

· Registered
23,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
The published listings for those exempt from the mandatory OHV education test do not seem to include government oficials unless they are operating a snowmobile or implement of husbandry. So make sure to ask any official you encounter to see theirs too. Same for the fellows collecting garbage.:)
Perhaps the vaccine mandate that forced many to lose jobs included more than a few IT proof readers as noticable errors and omission in websites seems to have skyrocketed in the last few years.

· Registered
23,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Enough highighting some of the ironies of modern life....well maybe one more: Yesterday's headline from Scotland "Trans Woman Charged With Raping Two Females With Her Penis."

Meanwhile back to Moab. Back of Moab Road looks to have good access and many boondocking sites if still permitted.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Mountain

Bedrock Slope Formation Outcrop Fault

Many of the dead end spur roads might afford tranquil camp sites away from traffic. More dramatic but close to Safari Route are seemingly boondocking sites surrounding the Balcony and Picture Frame arches.

Still pondering other bucket list opportunities other than the Factory Butte region identified like Monument Valley some 2.5 hours south. Was there once in a sandstorm, have vowed to return under better conditions. Any interest in either , either before or after Moab ? One is remote and under visited, other has become a popular tourist destination.
Cloud Plant Ecoregion Sky Mountain

· Registered
226 Posts
We need to be home from our trip south by March 29 as Linda has Theatre tickets for the 30th.

I have not yet committed to this year’s Moab. My son has expressed interest, but needs to get a new Passport.

Has any one found a new free camping spot?

I don’t mind spending the $15/night to stay at Utahraptor State park, but would prefer to put those funds towards fluids for my vehicles and myself. My truck is thirsty and I am also after a long day in the Saddle.
So are you going to leave your vehicles in Salt Lake City, fly home on the 29th, go to the theatre on the 30th and fly back on Apr 1? Or, since this is the ZOOM era, can't Linda just "Zoom" the theatre event and we can all watch from Moab ?? Just Asking :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,308 Posts
Enough highighting some of the ironies of modern life....well maybe one more: Yesterday's headline from Scotland "Trans Woman Charged With Raping Two Females With Her Penis."

Meanwhile back to Moab. Back of Moab Road looks to have good access and many boondocking sites if still permitted.
View attachment 233425

View attachment 233426

Many of the dead end spur roads might afford tranquil camp sites away from traffic. More dramatic but close to Safari Route are seemingly boondocking sites surrounding the Balcony and Picture Frame arches.

Still pondering other bucket list opportunities other than the Factory Butte region identified like Monument Valley some 2.5 hours south. Was there once in a sandstorm, have vowed to return under better conditions. Any interest in either , either before or after Moab ? One is remote and under visited, other has become a popular tourist destination.
View attachment 233427
Maybe do the southern part or the utah bdr starting around monument? Camp a couple of nights on the bikes?

· Registered
4,160 Posts

View attachment 233425

View attachment 233426

View attachment 233427
Fred, your pictures are always top notch. I bet you would have all kinds of followers on the web if you just posted about 2 pics a day. Of course, never disclose the locations. I am glad you post such great pics on the site. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your adventures.

· Registered
23,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Thanks Ken.
Responding to Oldworld r.e. camping off the bike : It would take something seductively unique and scenic to lure me away from the comfy Astro Van's memory foam bed after a long day in the saddle...something like the Maze , southernmost district of the Canyonlands National Park. Entry via west of Green around Goblin Valley and Hans Flat, or via Hite Marina crossing of the Colorado and the Dirty Devil Rivers. Both are a long haul to camp spots like The Wall, or The DollHouse.
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Natural landscape Bedrock

Sky Natural landscape Bedrock Mountain Plant

Decades past I overflew The Maze fairly low level from the airstrip at Hite Marina to Mineral Bottom in order to re-join a raft trip. From the air the Maze seemed very well named.
Sky Bedrock World Formation Landscape

Washington Larry rode to the dollhouse and beypnd from Hitte years ago. Wonder if he thought it worthy enough to recommend it, or to do it himself again?
Other remote TW routes further south may traverse tribal lands with their own issues post Covid. Don't know how much one can wander around the Navajo Nation outside Monument Valley these days.
Open to suggestions but with advancing years a ThermaRest night in a bivy tent has lost some appeal, needs an epic memorable ride :cool:

· Registered
2022 TW Honey Badger (Dori123's bike) 2014 TW, and a 1994 TW Custom Scrambler
58 Posts

· Registered
2021 TW; 2016 Honda NC700X
964 Posts
As an outsider, it reads like it’s time to ”think outside the box”. Find a spot a little further from crowds, rather than pay to be in the midst, stand in lines etc. Moab is awesome but so Death Valley, Valley of Fire etc. Wyoming? East Oregon. Many like motor bikes for the freedom and escape from the masses. Off road being the fastest growing segment of recreation none of the popular places will get less use. And the majority of the use is going to be families in SxS units, willing to spend more money than you and more tolerant of crowding.
Best hope is find a spot they can’t go….Death Valley is one. The Death Valley Noobs Rally would an excellent example how this could be done. Rent the whole campground. For now, being street legal can save you from the SxS invasion.
I was a Moab n00b last October, and we did NOT have a problem with crowds, Ride Marshalls, self-important people of any way, shape, manner or form. It was not only laid back, but the folks who came...too many to list...were invariably helpful, to me, a dirt novice who had a bad habit of keeping on dropping the bike at speed.

The Death Wing front tire didn't help, but I could probably have done better.

There was a fair presence of humanity, but our trails, our rides, were not overly crowded. Actually, the other traffic gave comfort - if someone broke a leg or something, there WOULD be others to perhaps help him back to civilization.

Now that I'm not going to Florida, I have money I can spend on Moab. Especially given Mrs. Admiral's talent for finding free camping sites...

21 - 40 of 45 Posts