TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so crazy idea I've had for a couple years but never have got around to trying it. I've always felt that my bikes were somehow greater than the sum of their parts, They seem to possess they're own personalities. So to capatilize this trait I'd like to wire a temperature sending unit to a readout of some sort which displays the temp. Ok, this is where it gets interesting and somewhat less functional. I'd also like to send the signal coming from the sending unit to some sort of sound emitting device that's tone is linear to the frequency the sending unit dictates. So In short as your bike gets hot she'd start to growl at you which would intensify in urgency and volume as it reached the threshold of overheating. Kind of like the old aim-9 sidewinder missles would growl to the pilot allowing him to know if the heat signature lock was strong enough for a shot. I've seen one of the old sound board toys from the sixties that allowed you to play with different currents going to different audio emiting apparatus and I think a similar contraption would be the ticket rather than a speaker of some sort. Unfortunately this has been the extent of my theorizing. So hopefully this thread won't just die and our resident tw rider with the electrical engineering degree will chime in. No worries if you guys think this idea to be futile and a waste of time just shoot it straight and I'll take it. Although I do kinda like the idea. Guess the woman griping ain't enough so Ima try to let the bike get in on the party. Thanks for the patience of the reader who has made it to the end of this lengthy post.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If that doesn't work, you could rig up another old game device from places that had pinball etc.

The one where you popped in a couple of quarters then tried to hang on to the handles as long as you could, as the electrical current got stronger and stronger. Rig it so that the hotter the engine gets, the more current flows; and attach the leads to a sensitive part of the body. Since Fred has Mr. Gizmo's old bike, I think it/he would be the perfect one to experiment on. :O

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
I think maybe a temp sensor isn't the best bet. Maybe rig it to a tach or speedo or something. Attached to a temp sensor it would quickly reach whatever tone equates to operating temperature and then make that noise forever until you cut it off. I can only imagine that would get annoying after approximately immediately.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Thought we could order a bunch of these for all the Boonville Bikes. But would they be California Compliant?

Note: Was proofreading prior to posting and caught that I had somehow mis-typed, changing the "n" in Boonville to a "b". Sorry, must have been daydreaming molly gormin'. Just don't ask me to start imagining what Auspuffing means.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with it being annoying if it made an audible alarm at operating temp but what I'm suggesting is the tone would begin at it overheating and increase from there as the temp became more critical.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably the main benefit from something like this besides the cool factor would be an early warning to low oil levels and or to lean conditions/ clogged cooling fins. I'm sure it would save some motors out there and help to get the best performance out of your oil in between changes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with it being annoying if it made an audible alarm at operating temp but what I'm suggesting is the tone would begin at it overheating and increase from there as the temp became more critical. Or a waste of time

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Take off right boot, insert big toe in oil fill hole, ride bike. The louder you yell, the hotter the oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts