TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our small town just gave the ok to drive atv's on the streets. As long as they have proper turn, horn, mirrors and such you are good to go. I looked up the codes for the state and it says if it is over 50inches wide and the seat is over 20inches off the ground you are good to go. As I have put a top and windshield, soon doors and a back window will be there too, it will be a great run to the store rig.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I do it the easy way plumbstraight. I just put a folding hitch on my quad and Ranger and viola' it's a "farm wagon" under Indiana law. :D This unusual statute was the result of lobbying from farmers here in Indiana. Back when the 3 wheeled ATVs came out it was common for us to make a simple hitch that attached to the front axle so we could pull them behind our tractor/equipment rig. The rigs we were using were massive, with, for instance huge wing disks tall enough that we would have to partially lower them to clear powerlines. It was handy to leave the equipment in the remote fields at the end of the work day and just ride the ATV home. Illegal of course, but stick to the County roads...and generally you were OK. Then enforcement took a turn and all of a sudden farmers were getting cited for this practice. So, the fix was an amendment to the old and obscure farm wagon statute that required no special equipment and the qualifier was only that the operator be 15 or older.

"SECTION 1. IC 9-13-2-60, AS AMENDED BY P.L.210-2005, SECTION 6, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2009]: Sec. 60. (a) "Farm wagon" means either of the following:
(1) A wagon, other than an implement of agriculture, that is used primarily for transporting farm products and farm supplies in connection with a farming operation.
(2) A three (3), four (4), or six (6) wheeled motor vehicle with a folding hitch on the front of the motor vehicle, manufactured with seating for not more than four (4) individuals, that is used primarily:
(A) to transport an individual from one (1) farm field to another, whether or not the motor vehicle is operated on a highway in order to reach the other farm field;
(B) for the transportation of an individual upon farm premises; or
(C) for both purposes set forth in clauses (A) and (B).
(b) The term includes a motor vehicle described in subsection (a)(2) that is used for the incidental transportation of farm supplies or farm implements at the same time it is used for the
transportation of an individual."

***** The "smiley faces" do not appear int he original text of the code. For some reason the computer wants to read ( capital Bee) in the cut and paste that way and I cannot convince it on edit to do otherwise.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
A)
B)
C)
D)
Confusing isn't it? Guy tries to present things in an organized fashion and just gets a smug smiley wearing shades. Glad it is just not me. ;)
Glad Washington will let you ride your ATV on the road now. Congratulations. Interesting how legislation varies so much from state to state. Imagine how boring it would be if we were the Uniform States of America.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
More confusing than you know Fred. The above was typed with a capital B. Preview showed it capitalized too. And look how it ended up. Go figure. And of course at the bottom, to make the message long enough, there was actually supposed to be an actual smiley. Nope.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
001.JPG Working on a fully enclosed cab. I have a wooden toolbox on the front below the window and suicide door frames made. should make for a good all around weather coach. Hopefully the engine heat will be enough for cold days. Can't remember if I have put this in before. Have ordered the blinkers, horn and mirror to make it legal. Wheel spacer to comply with the 50in width rule and I am set to license it.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Those things run all over the Ozarks. Mostly half drunk and/or stoned teenagers who sell enough homemade meth to earn more than a half dozen working stiffs, with their bikinied under-aged sex toys on the back, riding way too fast three wide sliding sideways around blind corners on gravel roads. Always a fun way to end your ride when you're tooling along at a sedate speed enjoying the forest on your TW and you have to go over the edge to avoid a head-on with a speeding ATV. I know three people who have been helicoptered out after crashing while dodging ATVs or being hit by one.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Folks down here are mounting golf bags on the back of their side by sides and calling them carts. It sometimes works until their 14 year old with several friends hanging on passes a Police Officer doing 50 in a 25 zone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts