TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With regards to that operation to accomplish various tasks and lacking a proper lift, I read more than one comment recommending to
“just stick it on a milk crate or a bucket”. OK, but how does one accomplish that without super human strength? It may be a “light” bike but it’s still 300 lb. Thank you for any clarification.

·
Registered
382 Posts
There are 3 methods I use:
1. Lean it over on the sidestand far enough until I can push something underneath then level it up and 'wriggle' into the middle of the crate or whatever.
2. Put it in 1st with a box to the side (or a helper to push box under) then stand it upright and lift by the front wheel using the rear as a pivot, then move to the side, onto the box.
3. Similar to above but use a strap to hold the front brake on and lift from the rear.
None of the methods are ideal and you need to use a good lifting technique to avoid back injury, but they work for me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are 3 methods I use:
1. Lean it over on the sidestand far enough until I can push something underneath then level it up and 'wriggle' into the middle of the crate or whatever.
2. Put it in 1st with a box to the side (or a helper to push box under) then stand it upright and lift by the front wheel using the rear as a pivot, then move to the side, onto the box.
3. Similar to above but use a strap to hold the front brake on and lift from the rear.
None of the methods are ideal and you need to use a good lifting technique to avoid back injury, but they work for me.
Thank You Buellzebub, I think I’ll invest in a small lift, I do not have the strength, the dexterity or the back for something like that. Again thank you.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
i could never figure out how everyone could lift their bikes up on a box and being on the cheap side i figured out and built a ram. it worked great 85.JPG i would just pull the bike up the ramp backwards and then slide a milk crate under the motor and then let the bike roll back down the ram

·
Registered
1,965 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have the hazard fraught (harbor freight) ATV lift. Get it on sale with a coupon for like $80 or so. I bought it for my big Valkyrie, but it works great for the TW also. The skid plate sits perfectly flat and it lifts both wheels off the ground. I've had it about a year with regular use and it's fine. The hydraulic cylinder will "settle" (at least it does with the 800lb Valk on it, but it's supposedly rated for 1500lbs), but it does have a mechanical safety to lock the jack up at a few different heights (use it).

I had one of those "step down" pedestal lifts for a while. Not a fan of it. Flimsy, bike isn't stable. Harbor freight sells one, as do a bunch of MX companies. I think I gave mine away.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have the hazard fraught (harbor freight) ATV lift. Get it on sale with a coupon for like $80 or so. I bought it for my big Valkyrie, but it works great for the TW also. The skid plate sits perfectly flat and it lifts both wheels off the ground. I've had it about a year with regular use and it's fine. The hydraulic cylinder will "settle" (at least it does with the 800lb Valk on it, but it's supposedly rated for 1500lbs), but it does have a mechanical safety to lock the jack up at a few different heights (use it).

I had one of those "step down" pedestal lifts for a while. Not a fan of it. Flimsy, bike isn't stable. Harbor freight sells one, as do a bunch of MX companies. I think I gave mine away.
I have the same one - for 10 years now. Works great on my big and small bike also used it to pull out the 4000 generator attached to my motorhome. Very stabile and price well worth it!

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Once can just pull the bike up on the side stand and slide a jack stand under the right foot peg bracket. Then pull bike up pivoting on that jack stand and side a second jack stand under the left side footage bracket. I use a stick to push and pull jack stands into position while holding bike cup balanced with other hand.

·
Registered
57 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Motorsport-Products-92-4001-Silver-Adjustable/dp/B00HJUKB5S

Been using theirs for longer than I can remember. Race season after season...in the garage to adjust chains, make suspension adjustments, check sag...you name it. Gets used all of the time. You have to lube the shaft about once a year or so as well as the pivot points. In over 10 years, we replaced ONE foot lever...like $20.00. Really...THIS ONE is well worth it.

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
With regards to that operation to accomplish various tasks and lacking a proper lift, I read more than one comment recommending to
“just stick it on a milk crate or a bucket”. OK, but how does one accomplish that without super human strength? It may be a “light” bike but it’s still 300 lb. Thank you for any clarification.
I'm thinking you're thinking more about a center stand lift but as an alternate and back saving, you may want to consider a maintenance stand of some sort. For quick things I really like TW-Brians DIY center stand lift but here are a couple examples I used when I'm doing maintenance which doesn't involve the front tire. I also like Grewns idea the way he adapted it for the TW.

In this photo I'm using a pickup toolbox converted into a motorcycle maintenance table. I drilled a couple holes to secure ratchet straps to hold the motorcycle in place and added a plastic tire chalk for the front tire. Using a small hydraulic jack, I can jack up the rear tire on this table which enables me to change/remove the rear tire etc.

I built this wooden maintenance table from plans sent to me by forum member Jaglite. It was easy to build. (note: I'm going to lower the table height slightly by cutting off the legs at the bottom of the support 2x4's so about 3-4 inches. I'm doing this because even at 6'1", it's a bit of a reach to the far handlebar when rolling on and off.

I use a ramp like this and push the TW's up on both maintenance tables.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have this Harbor Freight lift table that i put an upgraded wheel clamp on it and i also bought a scissor type jack for under the bike to life the wheels off the table. If you have the room for it one of these lifts can be had for $300 with a coupon and i cannot recommend it highly enough. I use mine constantly for all sorts of projects from bikes to maintaining my yard equipment to using it as a work bench. I even built a table top for it that has been beyond handy. This lift has been one of the best and most versatile tool purchases i think i have ever made. It is also a total back saver for a guy with a twice surgically repaired back....

My table top

Handy for stuff that isnt a motorcycle too.

If you dont have room for a lift this is another good option, i have a craftsman version of this same jack, it works well with the TW.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hey jb...where did you get that center lift (below)?

I'm lucky to have an old pneumatic Handy-Lift that makes lifting *almost* anything a piece o' cake.

Except...
I recently had to remove both TW wheels to take them to a shop to have new tires mounted.
I had a helluva time with bottle & scissor jacks, tie downs and suspended straps to finally get it high enough and stable enough to remove both wheels without dropping the whole shebang...it was touch & go!

Never again!

Now I'm looking for a center-lift like this one to simplify things:

And speaking of how useful full-sized lifts are...my Handy-Lift makes loading a big bike into a pickup bed real easy, if you have no help and/or good ramps.
And it has removable side tracks for quads, small tractors, etc.
I'm partially disabled and just can't get very physical with big bikes anymore...after a major bike crash several years ago.
They also make great stands for food & booze at shop parties!

Or store a body for a day or two...;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts